BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2019 8:43 pm  #81

Re: New Dracula show for the BBC

Beautiful photos! I'm sure it's even more stunning in person.

Clueing for looks.

March 5, 2019 12:39 pm  #82

The crew is at the place already, so it seems....

https://twitter.com/Markgatiss/status/1102621252525744129

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 5, 2019 4:29 pm  #83

Yay!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 5, 2019 5:22 pm  #84

I take it it's cold there, judging by the warm coats, hats and facial hair .

March 5, 2019 5:25 pm  #85

I know...not a fan of the beard, Steven!(Sorry, my inner Sherlock is showing. Ha!)
Glad Sue is in on the act, as well!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 15, 2019 12:15 pm  #86

So, I made my trip to Banská Štiavnica to see the setting of the new Dracula series last week.

My journey was somewhat adventurous because Banská Štiavnica is a bit hard to approach and when you travel there you can see right away why that is: the city is situated in the heart of the wild mountains and the bus creeps there carefully through sharp serpentines surrounded by steep ravines, through harsh rocks and through romantic and deep forests. Here and there, you can see the mysterious portals, gates or simple bolted doors leading underground and the ruins of old, solitary buildings – the relics of former mining industry that flourished in the area up to the recent times. Occassional villages, hotels and even blocks of flats are beautifully hidden in that natural paradise and are very picturesque. They must be inhabited by the very bold people too, because they are surrounded by wilderness on all sides. All in all, there´s something positively vampiric about the place on its own – the filmmakers should use this area for the outdoor settings instead of Orava, I think.

When you go off the bus at the little bus stand in Banská Štiavnica, at first you don´t see anything remarkable, because this part of town is modern and the buildings are just the ordinary stuff you´ll find everywhere on the world. When you set off up the main road to the old town, the first historical buildings look kind of shabby and the pavement is “Victorian Era revival” that tends to disappear of dissolve into a muddy lawn all of a sudden. But this impression is quite misleading, because in fact, Banska Štiavnica is a stunningly beautiful town. It´s historical part has a wonderfully preserved atmosphere of old times, the buildings retained their former shape and unique charm and the touch of German architecture they were once famous for. The mining relics are everywhere and there is a huge net of mining tunnels under the streets – you can see their portals peeking at you from the most unexpected of places.

The Old Castle greets you very early on, neatly visible behind the buildings:

The heart of the old town comprises of the Old Townhouse and the Church of Saint Catherine. There, by the Church, I discovered the first traces of the filmmakers:

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 15, 2019 12:26 pm  #87

Right behind the Saint Catherine Church, The Square of Holy Trinity is placed. When I went there, the sky was overcast and there was something very sinister in the air. The forecast promised “warm, sunny weather”, but the filmmakers ordered something Dracula like and they probably bribed some higher powers to do their bidding, obviously.

A funny thing lies right in the corner of the square. The BBC sign is a sheer coincidence, but it amused me to no end:

The filmmakers used this square as the area of most of their activities, I think. One restaurant served as the catering place for them:

I loitered around for a while to see if somebody from the crew comes to eat, but nothing moved around the place. Then I blinked, and wow: the door of the restaurant was just being shut off behind somebody who entered. So that´s how it is – these people use invisible crew! Very fitting for the Dracula project, I think.

The other part of the square served for their trucks. Mysteriously, there were no trucks present around (they were all busy around the castle):

This old, dilapidated building from the year 1579 had a sign “Costumes” in front of it. I hope they were joking.

March 15, 2019 12:29 pm  #88

I sneaked all around the castle to get some photographs. At first I used the unusual approach from the upper, forest path and I discovered “The Green Room” right away.

There was no one around. The cast and crew are indeed invisible, or they use the old mines for their travel, like dvarves, so it seems.

I made some pictures of the Old Castle from that side.

No BBC presence was visible, but the sounds of the hammer beating against the wood were heard distinctly. The stakes, maybe?

https://twitter.com/Markgatiss/status/1103601957724454912

March 15, 2019 12:35 pm  #89

This is the proper, normal street leading to the Old Castle. The Old Castle was guarded by security and was surrounded by trucks of the crew, the secrets of BBC were well hidden inside. I also made some photos from the path leading from other side of the castle hill (I was relentless like a wasp).

There was a beautiful view there:

And interesting mural depicting the history of the town was visible on the wall at the square down under the castle:

I didn´t see anything in the form of an actors but one of our tabloids photographed the members of comparse gathering in front of the castle gate:

https://t.aimg.sk/magaziny/Pmpof8mpRovtOpslrg65mQ~Komparzisti-sa-prezliekaj-na-parkovisku-a-vozia-ich-pred-Star-z-mok-autami.jpg?t=L2ZpdC1pbi8xOTIweDEwODA%3D&h=BJtSLYyHpCWZEpP2GQRLtQ&e=2145916800&v=2

March 15, 2019 12:40 pm  #90

Right under the Old Castle, there are the stairs leading back to the Saint Catherine´s Church. I discovered the production room there:

I peeked inside to see, if I can spot some people inside, but I was surprised to see something like the third floor of the small courtyard surrounded by rooms on all sides and the bridge leading to another door.

The production room once again, from the way down:

And back at the church again:

And after a day of good work, I visited a nice pizza house right in the vicinity of the BBC restaurant, where the sympathetic and ever-smiling staff served me a very good, tasty schnitzel and a bottle of wonderful Red Traminer.

It was a daring trip, but it came off well and it was worth every penny!

March 15, 2019 4:11 pm  #91

Fantastic fieldwork, Nakahara!  I really appreciate you doing all this and reporting back - I loved your beautiful description of the journey there and all the photos.  Funny to think of the crew travelling through the mines!   I'm really looking forward to seeing it now and will look out for scenes from your photos! 

March 15, 2019 4:41 pm  #92

Cool and thank you.

March 15, 2019 7:39 pm  #93

Thanks for sharing your photos, nakahara! I really enjoyed reading your description of your journey, too. It sounds like fun. I don't know if I would have been able to do the same. I might have been afraid of getting caught if I were in your position.

Clueing for looks.

March 16, 2019 7:16 pm  #94

Yitzock wrote:

Thanks for sharing your photos, nakahara! I really enjoyed reading your description of your journey, too. It sounds like fun. I don't know if I would have been able to do the same. I might have been afraid of getting caught if I were in your position.

There was not any risk of that, believe me. 
Every area I photographed was open to the public and because there were school holidays in that part of Slovakia, plenty of people with their kids roamed around. The Old Castle was only guarded by security because of their cars and technical equipment, but they didn´t care if you loitered around. The Old Castle is the real fortress, its walls were a secure protection for the filmmakers inside, so there was no real chance for any oglers to disturb them - and so the security guys were pretty cool about it if you made some pics outside the sets. 

March 16, 2019 9:30 pm  #95

This twitter site has some interesting finds about the filming:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/draculoc?src=hash

For example this atmospheric photo of the filming set, allegedly taken during the shooting:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuzCrXegx0Y/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Claes Bang´s message with the picture of Orava Castle:

https://www.instagram.com/claesbang/p/BuwiBfHnBck/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1rwo5gowjtrdx

And these "sleeping angels" are from the exposition you can find inside the Old Castle of Banská Štiavnica. Steven Moffat seems to like it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/But2MuPnYqG/

Mark Gattiss must love the Old Castle too. You can find this "exposition" of old cementery crosses there:

And a mysterious old well too:

They could re-shoot "The Final Problem" there.... 

Last edited by nakahara (March 16, 2019 9:30 pm)

March 16, 2019 10:03 pm  #96

And another instagram, dated 6-th of March:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuqxU2en2dg/

March 16, 2019 10:33 pm  #97

Thank your for all those links, nakahara! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 17, 2019 7:25 am  #98

Great pics.

April 14, 2019 6:22 pm  #99

Mofftiss started hyping Dracula like crazy. They revealed that the first episode is already filmed + they promise us the "really nasty stuff" in the series as well:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-04-14/mark-gatiss-claes-bang-sexy/

April 15, 2019 2:24 pm  #100

I cannot get rid of the feeling that so far it is mainly them who are hyping the show. Of course I will give it a chance once it airs but compared to Sherlock there is not much excitement. What I am really curious about is what the difference to previous adaptations will be. With Sherlock it was easy - modernisation in every possible way, a 21st century Holmes. But they are doing a period Dracula. Different POV maybe? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera