BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 30, 2018 6:13 pm  #41

Re: Benedict to play Dominic Cummings in Brexit drama

I trust The Guardian.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 30, 2018 8:34 pm  #42

I also read a piece in the Independent that was very positive. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2019 1:11 pm  #43

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 5, 2019 11:11 pm  #44

The promo for the movie:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 5, 2019 11:13 pm  #45

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 6, 2019 6:32 pm  #46

So excited for tomorrow night.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 7, 2019 3:05 pm  #47

I read in the paper the other day that this film will be aired here in Canada later this month. I am looking forward to finally seeing it for myself.

Clueing for looks.

January 7, 2019 11:18 pm  #48

I absolutely loved the film. I felt like there were a few parallels to Sherlock and The Thick of It. The film is very controversial and makes viewers boil with rage no matter what side they were on two years ago.

And the premiere just one week before the upcoming vote? Perfect timing.

Also, it was quite clear from the trailer but the film showed even clearer why Benedict would take on a role of a Brexiter.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 8, 2019 6:41 am  #49

Not really sure what you meant in your last sentence...
But yeah, I managed to saty awake(just about!) and was glad I did.
I thought all the performances were very good.
Loved the interplay between Benedict and Rory...two of our finest.
It is good timing for the 2nd vote in Parliament!
But as we have all been living and breathing Brexit for the last few years here...almost anytime would be appropriate.
They obvioulsy knew how controversial it was going to be

January 8, 2019 7:04 pm  #50

I loved the film. Great acting and storytelling. Surely they took some liberties (I cannot tell from here) but I think that it was an overall correct description of how the referendum was won. And I think they did excellent work in showing a phenomenon that is not just British: people feeling left behind, forgotten, sold out by politics and business. And this overall feeling is used by people like the Leave campaigners, right-wing parties, Trump, etc. 

I think it was courageous of all involved to make this film at all. And as you said, there is no "right" moment to show it. 

And lastly: I still fervently hope that Brexit will somehow be turned around. In Germany many people love Britain and its culture and were and still are very sad about the result of the referendum and everything that happened afterwards. 

January 8, 2019 7:06 pm  #51

@SusiGo
I am filling up here...
Love you and don't want to leave you!

January 9, 2019 8:08 am  #52

Keeping fingers crossed! 

January 9, 2019 8:21 am  #53

It's so frustrating, because it's the same for everyone I know - we were talking about this recently.  All my friends voted against Brexit.  And the people who did vote for it were manipulated and lied to.  I suppose we already knew all that - what really struck me about the film, was that so many of the key players, were just players.  I'm sure that some pro-Brexiteers really did have the best interests of people at heart, but we saw an awful lot of game-playing.  I liked the hint that Dominic himself felt it might be a bad idea.

January 9, 2019 8:32 am  #54

So, how do you rate the movie from the "propagandist" point of view?
Was it a propaganda or not?

January 9, 2019 9:24 am  #55

Funny experience of a family in whose house the shooting took place:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6562787/I-got-Benedict-bed-too.html

January 9, 2019 3:16 pm  #56

Interesting read, how they used the same house for two different places.

Here's an article I just came across about the Canadian connection to the story (AggregateIQ) and other possible innacuracies. Make of it what you will.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/brexit-the-movie-aggregateiq-hbo-1.4951469

Clueing for looks.

January 9, 2019 6:34 pm  #57

I had read the Q and A with Carole Cadwalladr.  I think she makes some really good points, but I, personally, felt it was clear that the hearing was in Dominic's imagination, and hadn't actually happened.  I do agree that it would have been interesting to look at the overfunding. 

I wouldn't say it was propoganda.  I didn't feel it went very deeply into the reasons for leaving or remaining, but was more about Leave campaign itself.   And I think we accept that it was a dodgy campaign. 

January 10, 2019 7:34 am  #58

besleybean wrote:

Not really sure what you meant in your last sentence...

A year ago it wasn't clear why the Remainer Benedict would play the mastermind behind Brexit.
While actors don't pick roles based solely on their political preferences, it would be odd to see Benedict in anything glorifying Brexit.
Well, the film was empathically not glorifying it
It was about a driven person and Benedict plays those with gusto.

One scene stuck with me the most, it's when Rory despairs and says that while they argue from the scientific point of view, the other side just lobs some grotesque lies at them and they barely keep up with putting out fires. Like those leaflets about 70 Mio coming from Turkey *eye roll*

The same business of making voters angry and afraid seems to be going on in pretty much every other country too these days

Last edited by ewige (January 10, 2019 7:36 am)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 10, 2019 7:43 am  #59

Yeah, I do see it being something of a worldwide phenomenon...
But I must confess, I feel a bi like I'm bunkering down in a trench here in fortess Britain, at the moment.

January 10, 2019 8:45 am  #60

I think there is a strong tendency of lying and overplaying today, especially in social media. Some days ago a right-wing German politician was attacked from behind in the street and suffered bad head injuries. Only hours later his party posted that it had been terrorists from left who had used a squared timber to beat him and who had kicked his head after he fell down. Turns out that no one knows so far who they were, no weapon was used, there have been no kicks to the head. But once published, these things stay in people's mind. 
As did the words and numbers on the red bus. Or the millions of Turkish people flooding the UK. The Leave campaign was shockingly clever in using these false emotional appeals whereas Remain tried to rely on facts. It seems that today facts are not an effective argument anymore. Which is scary. 

Board footera