BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2018 7:36 pm  #81

Re: Secret Santa 2018?

Turning Point

Wow, this has to be the ultimate Johnlock romance of this year´s exchange. It´s masterfully written and it emits such warmth, tenderness and gentle care that the reader can almost physically sense it on his/her own skin. No words are needed between Sherlock and John indeed, everything is told most loudly by their caring, loving actions.  

Wonderful kissing scene at the end and fantastic shifts between the reality and Sherlock´s mind. Admirable work, dear author!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 29, 2018 7:51 am  #82

Sorry for being a bit slow with commenting.

The Case of the Christmas Sock Heist
I love both their Christmas presents for each other. And John using the sock index is a nice idea.

Bonus kudos for mentioning Mystrade (not my ship, but it fits well into the story) and for white Christmas. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 29, 2018 11:35 am  #83

Turning Point

OMG OMG OMG, thank you so much, dear unknown author! This was heartwarming indeed. "I am too scared to kiss you"  nearly killed me. This is such a lovely little story, sometimes angsty, sometimes romantic, short but containing their whole world. You have given me wonderful post-Christmas feelings. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 29, 2018 11:36 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 29, 2018 3:21 pm  #84

A Few Steps From Here
This one was for me. Thank you, mystery author, for this! I really enjoyed this quiet and contemplative story. I didn't expect you to go this way with my request, but I like what you came up with. I liked the bit of humour of John referring to Sherrinford as Azkaban. I can understand why he would make that connection!  
I like that it's acknowledged that things have changed for them, but they are slowly moving forward, even if they're not always OK.

Clueing for looks.

December 29, 2018 5:33 pm  #85

A Few Steps From Here

Thank you for this quiet, poetic story and the tentatively hopeful ending which I enjoyed reading. No miracles, but a believable take on how their lives could continue and get better. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 29, 2018 8:21 pm  #86

A Few Steps From Here

Impressive piece of writing. I loved how the soothing domesticity of the everyday life in the home of John and Sherlock was put in contrast with Sherlock´s troubled musings about Eurus and her dire fate. Sherlock´s POV switched between both themes effortlessly and to the great effect for the reader. You successfully incorporated lot of themes into such limited space (even Mycroft´s dubious role in Eurus dissappearance was mentioned) and worked them all into a harmonious, well-rounded corpus, dear author.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 31, 2018 5:44 pm  #87

If it's OK, I was thinking of posting who wrote each story this weekend.
I'll also be posting the link to the AO3 collection I made for this exchange.

Last edited by Yitzock (December 31, 2018 5:45 pm)

Clueing for looks.

January 1, 2019 9:26 am  #88

It´s OK with me. 
Thank you again for organising this beautiful exchange, Yitzock and happy New Year! 

January 1, 2019 10:12 am  #89

Good plan, Yitzock. :-) And thank you so much again!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 1, 2019 2:13 pm  #90

Happy New Year to all of you and thanks to Yitzock and all who participated!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

January 1, 2019 6:11 pm  #91

I am fine with posting the names. Thank you so much, Yitzock, for organising this. It has been lovely to write again after a long time. 

January 1, 2019 10:09 pm  #92

You are all welcome. I had fun writing and organizing.

Clueing for looks.

January 2, 2019 10:26 am  #93

I'm curious about the authors now. Thanks again for organsing, Yitzock.

Turning Point

Love with and without words. A lot of romance but also a bit of heartache. That's what I love to read.

A Few Steps From Here

Yes, that could be the way how everything moves on after The Final Problem. Nicely and convincingly written.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 5, 2019 4:23 pm  #94

Oyez! Oyez! I am about to officially reveal all the authors for this year's Secret Santa. They are in spoiler tags, as has been done for previous Secret Santas.

The Most Romantic Offer was written for gently69 by

SusiGo

Low Tide at Sea Garden was written for Schmiezi by

nakahara

The Case of the Christmas Sock Heist was written for Kerkerian by

Yitzock

Some kind of 'Christmas Carol' was written for nakahara by

gently69

Turning Point was written for SusiGo by

Schmiezi

A Few Steps from Here was written for Yitzock by

Kerkerian

\

For those who wish to do so, you may upload to the AO3 collection for the exchange here: https://archiveofourown.org/collections/2018SecretSanta

Clueing for looks.

January 5, 2019 10:30 pm  #95

Wow, thank you, Yitzock! Some nice surprises there! 

And thank you, gently69, for such a nice gift of a lovely and lighthearted, funny story. It was great fun to read it. 

You also complained, that you could not understand French verses used in the story written by me. I am sorry. The translation of the line was placed right at the beginning of the story - but I know that it could prove the problem to connect those two citations if you don´t understand the French language. I apologise for the inconvenience.

January 5, 2019 10:58 pm  #96

Thank you for giving us the names of the authors, it is always fun to see if one's hunches have been right. 

And a very big thank you to Schmiezi for writing this wonderful story for me. 

January 5, 2019 11:03 pm  #97

Yitzock wrote:

Low Tide
You definitely did your research for this story. I want to read more about your inspiration for those aspects of the story.

The quote in my story comes from the tale of two famous, enchanted and fated Celtic lovers Tristan and Iseult, whose adventures were very popular in Middle Ages. The full citation speaks of the inevitability of death if these two lovers were separated and it likens the lovers to the hazel and the honeysuckle:

For those two, it´s just like with
The sweet honeysuckle vine
That on the hazel tree will twine:
When it fastens, slips itself right
Around the trunk, ties itself tight,
Then the two survive together.
But should anyone try to sever
Them, the hazel dies right away
And the honeysuckle the same day.
Fair friend, that´s how it´s with us (too):
not you without me, not me without you.

You can finfd full translation of Marie de France´s poem here:  

http://users.clas.ufl.edu/jshoaf/marie/chevrefoil.pdf

In the mind of the ancient people, there was a belief in some mystical connection between the lovers and those binding plants. They represented the inseparable bounds of love which even defied death. At the end of the story of Tristan and Iseult, you could find an example of this imagery:

"When King Mark heard of the death of these lovers, he crossed the sea and came into Brittany; and he had two coffins hewn, for Tristan and Iseult, one of chalcedony for Iseult, and one of beryl for Tristan. And he took their beloved bodies away with him upon his ship to Tintagel, and by a chantry to the left and right of the apse he had their tombs built round. But in one night there sprang from the tomb of Tristan a green and leafy briar, strong in its branches and in the scent of its flowers. It climbed the chantry and fell to root again by Iseult’s tomb. Thrice did the peasants cut it down, but thrice it grew again as flowered and as strong. They told the marvel to King Mark, and he forbade them to cut the briar any more."

And another example is found in the Irish story of Baile and Aillin:

"And a yew grew up through his grave, and on its top the form and shape of Baile's head was visible. And an apple-tree grew through her grave and was a large tree at the end of the seventh year, and the shape of Aillinn's head on its top.  At the end of seven years princes and seers and prophets cut down the yew which was over Baile and make a poet's tablet of it. In the same manner the wooings of Leinster are written in the tablet made of the apple from Aillin´s grave.

The came Halloween, and its feast was made by Cormac, son of Art. Poets and men of every art came to that feast, as was the custom, and they brought their tablets with them. And Art saw them and when he saw them he asked for them. And the two tablets were brought to him, and they were in his hands face to face. The one tablet of them sprang upon the other, and they twined together as the woodbine round a branch, nor was it possible to sever them. And they were kept like any other jewel in the treasury at Tara."

John has that folk-lore in mind when he offers Sherlock the mussle - another object which is made of two connected parts and which would be entirely destroyed if the parts were ever separated. He offers the thing to Sherlock partly in jest, but partly to demostrate that he too could not imagine being parted from Sherlock.

Of course, Sherlock feels stung and badly hurt when he hears the Marie de France´s quote. After the events of "The Lying Detective" he does not believe that John cares for him anymore and he holds the citation for a cruel joke.

But all ends well, fortunately. 

January 6, 2019 2:52 pm  #98

Thanks for that discussion. On a French literature course I took a few years ago we discussed Tristan et Iseult, but we didn't read the whole thing, it might have just been a summary in plain French,so that might be why I didn't recognize the verse. It was one of the introductory classes at the beginning of the semester before we started reading the novels and plays the professor had planned for us to read.

The symbolism of the mussel is beautiful.

Clueing for looks.

January 7, 2019 11:19 am  #99

Nakahara wrote:

And thank you, gently69, for such a nice gift of a lovely and lighthearted, funny story. It was great fun to read it. 

You also complained, that you could not understand French verses used in the story written by me. I am sorry. The translation of the line was placed right at the beginning of the story - but I know that it could prove the problem to connect those two citations if you don´t understand the French language. I apologise for the inconvenience.

You're welcome, Nakahara.
I'm glad you liked your gift. To be honest I wasn't sure about that.

And don't worry, it wasn't really a complaint. It was fun to read. And my comment shouldn't sound that serious. So I have to apologise.
Though... I really don't understand French.

And once again I want to thank you, Susi, for this really nice little story. It sweetened my day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 8, 2019 7:08 pm  #100

My pleasure. 

Board footera