BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2018 6:53 pm  #21

Re: Benedict to play Dominic Cummings in Brexit drama

Great shots...official?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 17, 2018 9:59 am  #22

Filming at Lambeth Bridge:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 17, 2018 11:44 am  #23

You may say about his looks whatever you want I am excited to see him taking on something different again. Benedict keeps re-inventing himself in his parts, and is commitment is amazing.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 17, 2018 1:13 pm  #24

There´s nothing wrong with his looks here. Looks good as always.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 17, 2018 5:37 pm  #25

Yes, he looks fine. I think it's just that that look is such a no-no for a Hollywood leading man ... but in real life, lots of men his age are losing some hair!   He's just lucky to be exceedingly goodlooking! 

July 17, 2018 7:41 pm  #26

Except he isn't losing his hair...he just looks like Dominic!
Anyhow, I have walked over that bridge so many times!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 17, 2018 8:20 pm  #27

I didn't mean that was his actual hair!  Only that he looks fine with it in this part, due to being blessed with good looks.  But I do think that it's not what you see for celebrities.  Some of them must have male pattern baldness genes, surely?  But I can't think of many ... I can think of a very few completely bald leading men, but I'm struggling to think of any at the in between stage who aren't covering it up in some way (e.g. by shaving it).  Jude Law, maybe, if he still counts as a leading man.

July 18, 2018 8:25 am  #28

He looks a bit like Prince William to me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 18, 2018 5:48 pm  #29

I wonder if he lost some weight for this.  In the photos he seems a bit more slender than usual to me.
Or, maybe I've just gotten too use to him being muscled up for the Marvel movies.  *giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 19, 2018 2:33 pm  #30

Liberty wrote:

I didn't mean that was his actual hair!  Only that he looks fine with it in this part, due to being blessed with good looks.  But I do think that it's not what you see for celebrities.  Some of them must have male pattern baldness genes, surely?  But I can't think of many ... I can think of a very few completely bald leading men, but I'm struggling to think of any at the in between stage who aren't covering it up in some way (e.g. by shaving it).  Jude Law, maybe, if he still counts as a leading man.

That's true. It's not often seen onscreen. My dad thinks he can tell when someone on TV is wearing a toupee, but knowing that wigs are used so often in film leads me to believe that there are plenty of times where he hasn't been able to tell. I don't know about men, specifically, though. 

Clueing for looks.

July 24, 2018 12:48 pm  #31

July 30, 2018 4:14 pm  #32

Nothing hides his fabulousness!

December 13, 2018 8:46 am  #33

The film is going to air on Channel 4 in January. And here is a very impressive account of Benedict turning into his subject:

Benedict Cumberbatch on playing my husband, Dominic Cummings
By Mary Wakefield for “The Spectator”

The visit was back in early June when the evenings were long and warm and the cabinet had not yet betrayed their promises to respect the referendum. Dom’s terrible at passing on information. (‘Might come round — think he’s vegan.’) So I wasn’t really expecting Benedict Cumberbatch to turn up at ours. It seemed too surreal a prospect. Nonetheless, I set the scene: flowers; vegan pie. All I knew about Cumberbatch politically was that he’d campaigned for Remain. I assumed, I’m afraid, that he had taken the part of Dom for the same reasons Ralph Fiennes took on Voldemort, or Christopher Lee, Dracula.

He arrived at the door, slight, polite and oddly familiar in the way famous people are. I led him downstairs into our kitchen, into the happy scene I’d laid on for him and quickly realised my mistake. He was friendly, curious — but he hadn’t come to judge Dom. The script was done and dusted. He’d come to become him.

‘I took the role because of the script,’ Cumberbatch tells me now. He’s not doing press for the Brexit movie, but he kindly agreed to talk to me about the strange business of transforming into someone else.

‘I’ve been a big fan of James Graham from This House onwards and I thought how extraordinary that I’m reading a script that reads like a thriller when I know the outcome. I’m being sucked into it — these characters, their intelligence, the wit of it, the emotional power of the drama. I realised this is what drama can do at its best.’

—————

It was a hell of a thing watching Benedict Cumberbatch prepare to play my husband. He sat down opposite Dom at about 8.30 p.m. that summer evening in what I imagine is a very Cumberbatchian pose: legs folded beneath him, alert, leaning forward, head up. ‘Just water please, I don’t really drink.’ By 10.30 he was leaning back, just like Dom, glass of red in hand. By 1 a.m. he was a mirror image of his subject. It was a Rorschach blot of a scene. Both men reclining, each with an arm behind their head.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 13, 2018 9:25 am  #34

That must have been fascinating to watch, especially when he was becoming somebody she knew so well! 

December 13, 2018 9:58 am  #35

Here is the full article. Even his kid thought - from a picture alone - that Benedict was his father:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/12/benedict-cumberbatch-on-playing-my-husband-dominic-cummings/

December 13, 2018 5:39 pm  #36

Aw, sweet as...

December 13, 2018 6:13 pm  #37

Liberty wrote:

That must have been fascinating to watch, especially when he was becoming somebody she knew so well! 

Yes, that's what I thought. Talk about watching an actor's process!

Clueing for looks.

December 28, 2018 3:51 pm  #38

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

December 29, 2018 8:26 pm  #39

Can't wait to see it...
oh and I have pre-ordered the DVD.

December 29, 2018 8:35 pm  #40

The Guardian claims that the story will not be some cheap propaganda:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/dec/28/benedict-cumberbatch-brexit-the-uncivil-war-pro-remain-bias-stitch-up

Maybe I´ll give it a try... 

Board footera