BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2018 8:17 pm  #1

Simon Reade's Play: Sherlock Holmes The Final Curtain

Just got back from seeing this at Edinburgh's King's theatre.
I knew nothing about it and so googled...looks like it premiered last year...
This is interesting because I saw some likeness to BBC Sherlock, so I REALLY hoped OUR Sherlock had come first!
It stars Robert Powell as an excellent Holmes...he actually reminds me of how Steven Moffat would look in about 20 years time!
SPOILER ALERT(for anybody who may go and see the play...somewhere): Mary plays a very prominent role and has very interesting relationships to both Sherlock and John and makes a comment on the nature of the erm friendship!
Anyhow there are a couple of twists in the tale: but smart arse here guessed both.
Mary herself appears in a VERY interesting scene at the end and the final twist leads to speculation!
It was a lovely set and I enjoyed how the play was presented...lots of famous lines.
It starts with Sherlock bee keeping in retirement and via The Lion's Mane...we get to a nice end point with Holmes and Watson..with references to the Watson, Morstan and Hudson families...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 3, 2018 11:56 pm  #2

Re: Simon Reade's Play: Sherlock Holmes The Final Curtain

Sounds lovely. Wish it would come to this side of the Atlantic!

June 4, 2018 6:06 am  #3

Well even my London Sherlockian pal seemed unaware of it...
So I think quite new and I hope it makes a success.
Having said that, the people next to me walked out at the interval...god knows what their problem was!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 4, 2018 7:26 am  #4

I'll always think of Robert Powell as Jesus!  I can definitely see him as Sherlock Holmes, though.  Has he ever played the part before?  I have a feeling I've seen him as Sherlock before, but I'm maybe thinking of something else. 

I don't understand people walking out.  I tend to feel I've paid my money and am going to suffer through it even if it's not very good - lol!  I have left at the interval once, and that was purely because I'd taken my son to see a play that turned out to be a bit beyond him at that age (I think he was about 11), and I didn't want him to be put off theatre by having to sit through it!

Anyway, I've had a google, and it doesn't seem to be touring my way, sadly. 

June 4, 2018 1:01 pm  #5

Now you have made me very, very curious, besley! Would love to see that one. Confession: I had a terrible crush on Robert Powell as Jesus. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 4, 2018 4:10 pm  #6

Didn't we all, Susi?!
Yes I really wish many on the forum could see the play...a very interesting take on some of the characters.
As I said, I guessed two of the twists and I'm sure others on here would have done too, but there was a nice little twist at the end!

June 5, 2018 12:28 pm  #7

besleybean wrote:

Just got back from seeing this at Edinburgh's King's theatre.
I knew nothing about it and so googled...looks like it premiered last year...
This is interesting because I saw some likeness to BBC Sherlock, so I REALLY hoped OUR Sherlock had come first!
It stars Robert Powell as an excellent Holmes...he actually reminds me of how Steven Moffat would look in about 20 years time!
SPOILER ALERT(for anybody who may go and see the play...somewhere): Mary plays a very prominent role and has very interesting relationships to both Sherlock and John and makes a comment on the nature of the erm friendship!
Anyhow there are a couple of twists in the tale: but smart arse here guessed both.
Mary herself appears in a VERY interesting scene at the end and the final twist leads to speculation!
It was a lovely set and I enjoyed how the play was presented...lots of famous lines.
It starts with Sherlock bee keeping in retirement and via The Lion's Mane...we get to a nice end point with Holmes and Watson..with references to the Watson, Morstan and Hudson families...

Sounds great!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 5, 2018 6:37 pm  #8

It really was and I think people on this forum would love it.

Board footera