BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2018 1:28 pm  #141

Re: Patrick Melrose

Yeah, I was surprised at how they portrayed Princess Margaret. She was a real person - unless she was known for being very unlikable, I think it's quite unethical to portray someone who recently lived like that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 28, 2018 1:34 pm  #142

Literally moments after my last post, I managed to find my way to a legit streaming service, which allowed me to watch ep 3.
Well I asume the author gives his own impressions of her...which is fair enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 28, 2018 2:37 pm  #143

Vhanja wrote:

Yeah, I was surprised at how they portrayed Princess Margaret. She was a real person - unless she was known for being very unlikable, I think it's quite unethical to portray someone who recently lived like that.

I read somewhere that she was a very unpleasant person and much more disliked than any other member of the Royal Family. It is interesting to see how different her portrayal is from the one given in "Crown". But I have to admit, I cannot stand the "Crown".

May 28, 2018 2:47 pm  #144

I alway get confused as to whether I've seen that at all...I think it was Victoria, I saw....but I did fancy The Crown.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 28, 2018 4:00 pm  #145

The Crown shows Margaret's negative and positive sides, I think. She did throw wild parties and we see that in The Crown, as well as some other not so nice parts of her personality, but we also see challenges she faced and kind of understand what she might have thought. I haven't seen the new Patrick Melrose episode, but I'm assuming from your comments that it portrays more of the negative side.

Clueing for looks.

May 28, 2018 4:03 pm  #146

This episode showed Patrick in a state often referred to in the addiction community as Dry Drunk.  He's not drinking or using anymore, which is good, but he has yet to confront the reasons he was using in the first place.  His talk with Johnny was a huge step in an addicts recovery.  Now true healing can begin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 28, 2018 4:34 pm  #147

Yes I found this quite a positive and therefore a more interesting episode...I think Benedict's talent is really coming to the fore.

May 29, 2018 8:06 pm  #148

Haven't watched it yet, but the reviews are great. It must be really strong stuff.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 29, 2018 8:10 pm  #149

Yes, looks like the story is going to get more breadth.

May 29, 2018 9:56 pm  #150

The dubbed version of the first episode aired on German television “Sky Deutschland” tonight. After getting over the slightly annoying fact that he has the same voice as the German version of Sherlock - I actually like Sherlock’s German voice but it simply doesn’t suit Patrick Melrose - I really enjoyed it although it doesn’t have the same impact as the original version. Benedict’s voice is such an integral part of his performance. Besides, it’s impossible to translate word play like “care for a dessert” into another language so they have to come up with something different that isn’t half as funny as the original version.

Many German newspapers published their reviews of Patrick Melrose today to coincide with the broadcast of episode 1, and I am happy to tell you that they are full of praise for the quality of the entire production and especially for Benedict’s outstanding performance. 

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

May 30, 2018 6:02 am  #151

Woohoo!

May 30, 2018 6:27 am  #152

Yes, the Norwegian newspapers praise the series as well, especially noting Ben's performance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 30, 2018 6:28 am  #153

More good news.

May 30, 2018 4:55 pm  #154

Well we know he is able to play everything, but it's lovely to see reviews mentioning his immense talent. He's like Gary Oldman who also can play everything.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 30, 2018 6:56 pm  #155

Even few reviews that didn't particularly care for the series have said that Ben is brilliant.

I really don't like watching anything dubbed.  If given the choice I will always choose subtitles.  Never heard anyone dub for Benedict and I bet it would make me nuts!! 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 5, 2018 7:43 am  #156

Mother’s Milk left me speechless. I thought it would be difficult to turn this story that is largely told from the perspective of Patrick’s son into an one hour television episode, but they created another masterpiece. It was painful to see Patrick in self-destruction mode again, veering from rage to silent despair. Benedict has outdone himself once again. I can’t believe there is now only one episode left.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

June 5, 2018 12:17 pm  #157

Each episode has just left me in pieces.  Have not been able to watch Mother's Milk yet but I'm certain it would break me too.  

I would like to get the DVD when it comes out, but I don't think this is a show I could ever "binge" in a short time.  I had to take breaks between the books to settle down and absorb everything!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 5, 2018 12:28 pm  #158

Yes, for me this episode was the hardest to watch. But what an amazing show: the script, the actors, the photography, the music, everything at the highest artistic level. And you feel it, too. There are films that look beautiful but leave you cold. This is very different. Its beauty makes the story even more heartbreaking. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 5, 2018 6:25 pm  #159

I can only agree with you all...outstanding show with an amazing cast.

June 9, 2018 11:27 pm  #160

A couple days ago I got caught up to "Mother's Milk." It's kind of sad that, despite some effort not to ruin his son's life, Patrick seems to be making things tough for him. His son even did the same thing on top of the well as Patrick did as a boy. I'm curious how old the son will be in the last episode coming out tonight. 
While I have liked this series, I am finding it at times seems a little directionless. The point for each episode comes through eventually, but I find it's a little repetitive with the flashbacks at times or just doesn't seem to be moving anywhere. I guess real life is like that, with the direction of things not always so clear-cut or obvious, but at the same time as a show the things that happen don't always seem to amount to anything. Like Patrick's mother asking him to kill her. It was briefly discussed and then never came to anything. 
I guess it seems to me sometimes like there are very few significant plot points per episode. I've still enjoyed the acting and I am still interested in how the story will end, I don't think it's a show that is going to stay with me or that I will remember as being great.

Last edited by Yitzock (June 9, 2018 11:30 pm)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera