BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 9, 2017 8:03 am  #2401

Re: Free Rants

*hugs* that is a huge decision and I can completely understand how hard that must be to make, you're not incompetent at all. You want to make the best choice for you and that deep down is a good thing! 
I hope you figure it out. Have you tried to make a list of pros and cons of each university? 

I think it is a listed side effect... I get anti-psychotic meds for my anxiety as well as sleep meds... and I'm pretty sure that they list it as a possible side effect. It happened again last night ugh. 

I used to get sleep-paralysis which is much worse since I can't move and back then I also saw spiders... at least now I can flee from it, until I realize it's not real... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 9, 2017 9:09 pm  #2402

I have not made a pros and cons list, though I have taken notes on the courses and faculty, as well as the options for each program. It's an idea that I might consider doing if I have time.

Clueing for looks.

November 9, 2017 11:53 pm  #2403

The first winter storm is coming. I HATE winter. Aaaand live in Canada so my nightmare is just starting.

November 10, 2017 7:26 am  #2404

Would it make you leave Canada?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 10, 2017 11:35 am  #2405

No, but I might be tempted to spend my winters in Florida or something like many other Canadians when I retire. For now, I will simply... bear with it.

November 23, 2017 2:32 am  #2406

So: we started our renovation of the bathroom today (or rather ou contractor started while we were at work.) We came back to a washer and a dryer moved to the kitchen, muck all over the floor aaaand... the wrong tile... Fortunately, it wasn't glued to the floor yet but we have to send it back and then wait for the correct one to be delivered.  I guess I will have to get used to having my house looking like, well, 221B's kitchen for a while! 

November 23, 2017 7:46 am  #2407

That sounds like my bathroom...except it's my daughter who is halfway through it's redecoration!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 23, 2017 5:42 pm  #2408

I hope the renovation works out OK in the end! My family and I have had some hiccups in our plans last year.

Clueing for looks.

November 23, 2017 7:36 pm  #2409

So far I just have more paper stripped off the walls...

November 23, 2017 10:11 pm  #2410

Yitzock wrote:

I hope the renovation works out OK in the end! My family and I have had some hiccups in our plans last year.

Renovations can be difficult. My partner and I havelived trough many minor and major renos. Patience is key. It's only walls after all.

Today the "tile crisis" was resolved fairly easily but then I had to leave work and buy a ceiling fan in a rush. It's OK, I know it will be worth it in then end.

November 24, 2017 7:23 am  #2411

Yes, I must admit on the grand scale of events...much more irritating to me at the moment, is the fact that my heating's not working properly- again!

March 16, 2018 1:02 pm  #2412

Where is Sherlock Holmes when I need him? I can see that at least one dog chased my alpacas and horses around yesterday evening, which led to my favourite alpaca falling down (and dying while I tried to get him into the stable). Possibly there were two - there seem to be paw prints in two sizes. But unlike a certain consulting detective I don't see which dog it was and who is his owner!

March 16, 2018 1:38 pm  #2413

That's really sad. 
If you can't figure it out on your own is it possible that the police could help with that? Or are there not any laws that would apply in regard to keeping animals leashed?

Clueing for looks.

March 17, 2018 9:25 am  #2414

Oh yes, the owner is responsible for his/her dog's misdeeds. But the police don't drive 25 km for a dead animal (not sure whether they even have a CSI team in the nearest town) - I'm to come to them with photos and proof of ownership etc. Then they'll make a computer entry and if the dog ever gets caught, and is either known or chipped I might get some compensation.

Which doesn't help because Archie is effectively irreplaceable - beautiful reddish colou, very fine fleece and a nice temperament - and he was affordable because his owner was more interested in finding a good home than in getting a lot of money.  This combination is very unlikely to ever occur again within a reasonable distance And I loved him!

Last edited by Kittyhawk (March 17, 2018 9:27 am)

April 4, 2018 8:11 am  #2415

I know I should have stopped caring by now but these bloody BAFTAs: no nomination for Benedict, neither for "Sherlock" nor "The Child in Time". Not a single nomination for any show, if I am not mistaken. This is ridiculous. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 4, 2018 8:47 am  #2416

You're not alone...Twittter is emiting a collective wail about it!
I expected nothing less.

April 4, 2018 9:53 am  #2417

Kittyhawk wrote:

Oh yes, the owner is responsible for his/her dog's misdeeds. But the police don't drive 25 km for a dead animal (not sure whether they even have a CSI team in the nearest town) - I'm to come to them with photos and proof of ownership etc. Then they'll make a computer entry and if the dog ever gets caught, and is either known or chipped I might get some compensation.

After being to the police it turns out they don't even make a computer entry - because unsupervised dogs hurting other animals are not a criminal offence (which is the only thing they care about), but just a civilian matter. The guy on the telephone had misinformed me and I went to the Gendarmerie for nothing...

April 4, 2018 1:14 pm  #2418

That's unfortunate. I can only how frustrating that must feel.

Clueing for looks.

May 23, 2018 7:08 pm  #2419

Just remembered something I wanted to let off steam about...
A bit cross with work today.
We all got told which classes we will be with in school next year.
Now I am really happy, because I am getting just what I wanted: I am staying with the Nurture group...we take small groups of kids who need a bit of extra attention.
But it's for one of the teachers, I am really upset.
She's one I consider a pal.
She has an awful history of chronic depression.
This is her first week back working full time, after a lead in process, following several months off sick...I know for a fact she was very affected by my husband's suicide.
But it is a very difficult class she has and they were certainly a large factor in her going off sick.
So guess what?
They have given her the same class next year.
And this isn't because she asked for them, she told me that she had said she would be happy with any class but!

Last edited by besleybean (May 23, 2018 7:09 pm)

February 3, 2019 6:51 pm  #2420

This isn't really a rant, but I guess I am kind of frustrated by the current situation. It also makes me a little sad. We took my cat to the vet on Friday and she has an infection, so we had to give her antibiotics. We've had trouble giving her pills in the past, and until we get the results of the test they did on her we couldn't give her the antibiotic that comes in injection form (which has worked for her in the past). So we took the liquid medication option. It's been difficult giving it to her, but we thought she was getting some of the dosage for the past couple of days.
This morning things went really badly. It took us a few tries to get her the medicine and she was really upset with us, squirming and making a lot of very unhappy noises. We're not sure she even swallowed any of the medicine in the end. My mum thinks the cat is especially mad at her because she looks away when she smells her and doesn't purr when my mum pets her. She hasn't really been purring when I've pet her since then either. We're a little afraid we hurt her in some way. She's just wanted to sleep most of the day. But basically we're a little worried she won't trust us anymore. I'm still a little hopeful that she will feel better later, but I'm not sure. 
I've been reading about how other people give cats liquid medicine, but I don't know if those tips will work. She's never liked being held, but I don't know how to give her the medicine without holding her, or else we'd have to put her on a table, and even then I don't know how it would work. 
We've put her through enough distress already and I'm worried about putting her through more trauma.

Last edited by Yitzock (February 3, 2019 6:53 pm)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera