BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2018 4:55 pm  #121

Re: Patrick Melrose

Glad it's not just me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 21, 2018 5:42 pm  #122

LOL  Hugo Weaving is considered Royalty in the Geek community because of all the genre films he's done.  He's been part of some big time films like the Lord of the Rings and The Matrix trilogies.  He's also a part of the Marvel universe.  But he is very versatile.  One of the very first things I ever saw him in was Pricilla, Queen of the Desert where he played a drag queen!

Oh, and Yitzock, the gecko will have significance in the second episode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 21, 2018 5:48 pm  #123

Well we see it again...can't say we've had it fully explained yet...though I have my theories!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 21, 2018 10:24 pm  #124

Oh yeah, that's right. My dad was telling us last night that Hugo Weaving was in Priscilla. I didn't recognize him, but that's not so surprising! I only saw The Matrix once and that was years ago, so I don't really remember much about it except general stuff about the plot, and I never watched the sequels.

Clueing for looks.

May 22, 2018 5:49 am  #125

Still never seen The Matrix, but I do remember my late husband waxing lyrical about Priscilla.

May 22, 2018 9:08 am  #126

Here is a great little video with Benedict about a scene from "Some Hope", the third episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9_pY5--4Bg

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 22, 2018 9:30 am  #127

Yitzock wrote:

Another little moment that I didn't understand was when the gecko (or what ever type of lizard it was) crawled along the wall when Patrick was looking at his father's corpse. I thought it might have been something he was imagining, but I couldn't figure out why he seemed to have such an intense reaction after seeing it.
(My Sherlock brain also was reminded a little bit of The Final Problem when he started hitting the casket, in spite of myself!)

I don’t want to give a full explanation here because it could be a spoiler for some people who haven’t read the books. The Gecko stands for something that happened to Patrick when he was a child. I don’t think there is a real Gecko in the room when Patrick stands at his father’s coffin, it’s more like Patrick having a brief flashback of an incident in his past. If you have read the books you would instantly know the connection, otherwise you will understand it when you have seen the second episode.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

May 22, 2018 10:25 am  #128

An interesting article by a former heroin addict, comparing his own experience with the novels and the show:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/22/patrick-melrose-captures-heroin-addiction-perfectly-it-brought-my-memories-flooding-back?CMP=share_btn_tw

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 22, 2018 7:10 pm  #129

SusiGo wrote:

An interesting article by a former heroin addict, comparing his own experience with the novels and the show:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/22/patrick-melrose-captures-heroin-addiction-perfectly-it-brought-my-memories-flooding-back?CMP=share_btn_tw

Excellent essay.  Thanks for posting that Susi.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 22, 2018 11:05 pm  #130

diva wrote:

Yitzock wrote:

Another little moment that I didn't understand was when the gecko (or what ever type of lizard it was) crawled along the wall when Patrick was looking at his father's corpse. I thought it might have been something he was imagining, but I couldn't figure out why he seemed to have such an intense reaction after seeing it.
(My Sherlock brain also was reminded a little bit of The Final Problem when he started hitting the casket, in spite of myself!)

I don’t want to give a full explanation here because it could be a spoiler for some people who haven’t read the books. The Gecko stands for something that happened to Patrick when he was a child. I don’t think there is a real Gecko in the room when Patrick stands at his father’s coffin, it’s more like Patrick having a brief flashback of an incident in his past. If you have read the books you would instantly know the connection, otherwise you will understand it when you have seen the second episode.

Yes, I figured it was a flashback. I watched the second episode last night and saw the connection.

Clueing for looks.

May 23, 2018 6:07 am  #131

I wondered if he wished he could climb the walls and escape...like the gecko.

May 23, 2018 6:06 pm  #132

besleybean wrote:

I wondered if he wished he could climb the walls and escape...like the gecko.

In the book he kind of dissociates during a moment of trauma and imagines he's the Gecko looking down at himself.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 23, 2018 6:08 pm  #133

May 27, 2018 9:05 am  #134

Another weekend, another episode of Patrick Melrose. I suppose the US members of this forum have already seen it, and some of us might have found it online somewhere ;-) but we should probably wait until it airs in the UK tonight before we discuss it. All I can say now is that the third episode is yet again different but equally brilliant. Three down, two more to go.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

May 27, 2018 10:12 am  #135

I still haven't found my usual illegal link, yet...but last week it didn't appear until tea time!

May 27, 2018 3:12 pm  #136

Three weeks in a row now Ben has broken my heart.   

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 27, 2018 3:14 pm  #137

Somebody's sent a link...but it's not my usual source, so I'm still waiting.
I did, however, persuade my sister to stick with the series.
She wasn't sure about it...

May 27, 2018 6:12 pm  #138

I've just watched the third episode, and I think this series is really great. All three episodes have been amazing, for various reasons. And incredibly heartbreaking.

As I mentioned before - during the first half of the first episode, all I could think was "Ben is a great actor!" Then I sort of got over that and got into the story, and now I see Patrick Melrose when I see him. Which reminds me of a great quote from Michael Caine:

"... if you’re watching me give a performance, and you turn to your companion and you say: Isn’t that Michael Caine a wonderful actor? Then I’ve failed. You’re supposed to say: I wonder what’s going to happy to Harry Brown now, you know? That’s it. You’ve got to make yourself disappear."

Last edited by Vhanja (May 27, 2018 6:13 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 27, 2018 8:13 pm  #139

Just watched "Some Hope" and loved it (it was my least favourite of the books for some reason or other). The colours - I am still speechless. Every episode has its own colour scheme and I love how consequently they stick to it. 

And what amazing parallels and contrasts between Patrick/Bridget's daughter and Eleanor/Bridget. 

I kept thinking for nothing in the world I would want to be at this party. Dreadful, shallow people and Princess Margaret came over as a real bitch. 

I was so happy when in the end Patrick finally opened up to Johnny after all those years. There will be tough times ahead but it really felt like some hope. 

May 28, 2018 6:29 am  #140

I've given up being able to watch anymore of these before I get my DVD...
But any swipe at the royals sounds good to me!

Board footera