BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2018 6:13 am  #101

Re: Patrick Melrose

But it isn't 'badness'...it's mental ill health- that's the point...and this is a real, living man, who has survived all of this to tell the tale.
As far as I am concerned , he should be applauded, not condemned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 16, 2018 6:38 am  #102

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

have a question about the scene in the hotel room when Patrick tries to kill himself. He cannot open the window, not even when he smashes the urn against the pane. When he wakes up in the morning, the window is wide open. Is this to be understood symbolically (him choosing life although he could end it)? Because we never see him manage to open the window.

I thought about that a lot. One idea I had was that he only imagined he couldn't open the window. That there was one little piece of his soul left that didn't want to die and held him back.

That moment when he was standing at the open window actually irritated me a lot, because I'm sorry to say, but all I could think was 'Why the hell is that window open now???'. So if it was meant to be understood symbolically, they didn't really manage to show it this way - to me the way it is filmed absolutely looks as if to be taken for real.
That aside, I think that whole sequence in the hotel room was the strongest one in the whole episode (apart maybe from the scene in that restaurant when he was quoting "We've taken Aqaba!" from "Lawrence of Arabia"... hilarious!). "What's the point of a fucking window if you can't jump out of it?" is probably the best line of the episode.

I have to say though: I don't know the books, so I don't really know where the story is going. There have been tiny hints as to where Patrick is coming from and what might have happened to him in the past, so it'll be interesting to see whether I understood those hints right or not. But apart from those hints I don't think it's a show I would binge-watch even if I could... there wasn't much of a story in this first episode, and although I expect this to change I can't say that I'm really keen to keep on watching.
Patrick (and certainly Benedict's performance) had me laughing out loud one moment and rolling my eyes the next. I'm sure for Benedict this is the role of a lifetime, but seeing Patrick being high and drunk and not much else for one whole episode didn't quite convince me. I'm sure this is meant to show us that he's having severe problems (which probably still is an understatement), but for me as a viewer I would have hoped for a bit more subtlety and just more of a... story.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 16, 2018 6:42 am  #103

Oh wow...isn't it funny how we see things differently?
Anyhow on a side note- did mean to say.
Is it one of you who has put up the Twitter poll about how the window was suddenly open?
I forget who has Twitter accounts on here and I didn't want to make a berk of myself by addressing somebody as though I didn't already know them from the forum!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 16, 2018 7:00 am  #104

besleybean wrote:

Oh wow...isn't it funny how we see things differently?

I suppose the biggest difference is that some have read the books and others haven't. I am convinced that if you know the source material you automatically see the show in a different light, simply because you already know far more about the character than someone who doesn't know the books. However a tv show has to work as a tv show (as we all know from "Sherlock"), and I have to say that this first episode very much felt like the 'Benedict Cumberbatch Show' to me. Which isn't a bad thing, it's just that in my opinion this didn't carry a whole hour.
But it's all fine. Like I said, I'm sure there's more to come storywise, and I'll certainly watch all of it eventually. It just didn't blow me away.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 16, 2018 7:09 am  #105

That's fine.
All I really knew was that it was about a damaged guy...I felt I was able to fill in the rest of myself.
Seeing the author in a picture next to Benedict, kind of brought it home to me.
I would love to hear the guy speak...but possibly I should just read the books..

May 16, 2018 12:53 pm  #106

DVD to be released in July.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D43DT4J

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

May 16, 2018 2:32 pm  #107

diva wrote:

DVD to be released in July.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D43DT4J

Oooh, thank you for the heads up!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 16, 2018 3:41 pm  #108

Yippee!  Thank you for the news.

May 20, 2018 5:55 pm  #109

Just watched the first episode. For the first half of it, all I kept thinking was: "Was this written as a Benedict show-off?" With that, I mean, it seems like a monologue written just to show what an amazing actor he is. 

Of course, I know that isn't true, seeing as it's based on a book. That was just how it felt in the beginning. And I dont think I mean that as harsh as it sound. Had it been any other actor, perhaps I wouldn't have noticed it too much.

As another nod to what a great actor he is, in the other half of the episode, I was so caught up in the character that I forgot about Ben. Quite funny too! 

I really enjoyed this episode. However, it was so funny, entertaining and a piece of great acting I am not sure if the rest of the episodes can live up to this. I don't know the story, but if this was the bang and the rest is just the tedious way back to a functioning life, I fear that might be dull in comparison. But hopefully, and probably, I will be wrong.

And it's always a bonus to see Hugo Weaving, even if it a creepy character!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 20, 2018 6:07 pm  #110

I just watched the second episode. It is very different from the first one and very good in its own right. Not so loud and shrill (in a good sense) but heartbreaking in its own way. The actors are all excellent, especially Jennifer Jason Leigh and Hugo Weaving. With those parents you can only feck up your life. Hats off to the boy playing young Patrick. 

And having read the books I can ensure you, Vhanja, that this is not a conventional rehab story. Not at all. Every book has a very different tone so we can expect five very different episodes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 20, 2018 6:09 pm  #111

Sounds interesting, looking forward to the rest.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 20, 2018 6:14 pm  #112

Well I hve pre-ordered the DVD, but thanks to a girl on one of my FB groups, I was able to watch E2 illegally this evening.
As I am so hopeless, I have no idea who HW or any of these people are.
But yes, the kid is great.
Very sad episode.
And makes abundantly clear, the clues I picked up from E1: abusive childhood produces a damaged adult.

May 20, 2018 6:22 pm  #113

Wow, you haven't watched Lord of the Rings, besley?

Team Hudders!

May 20, 2018 6:24 pm  #114

Yes I have...told you, I'm crap on actors!

May 20, 2018 6:25 pm  #115

It's Elrond himself!

Team Hudders!

May 20, 2018 6:30 pm  #116

Oh yes, is he like Lee Pace's Dad or something?!
I do get all these people mixed up...
Mind you, it's many years since the last LOTR film: pre-Sherlock wasn't it?
And remember, life hadn't begun then!
Or was he in Hobbit, too?

May 20, 2018 6:33 pm  #117

Team Hudders!

May 20, 2018 6:37 pm  #118

LIke I said, LOTR is ancient history.
I'm a Smaug girl!

May 20, 2018 6:51 pm  #119

Hugo Weaving was freaking terrifying in the second episode.  I swear the quality of his acting made it even harder to watch.  In the hands of a lessor actor the role could easily devolve into a cartoon villain. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 21, 2018 4:27 pm  #120

My family and I watched the first episode last night. The second episode was also available, but we agreed it was too intense to watch two episodes in one night!
I'm intrigued where it will go, since the first episode is Patrick repeatedly going off the rails, while still making us laugh at some of the things he said and the situations. I can't see clearly where the story will go from here.

As we are talking about the hotel window opening, we thought that moment was odd, too. My dad thought that he was dreaming when the window was open in the morning, since it couldn't open before. For reasons that it's dangerous, I thought hotel windows couldn't open like that if the room was that high up, anyway. Perhaps that is one of the flaws of that particular episode.
Another little moment that I didn't understand was when the gecko (or what ever type of lizard it was) crawled along the wall when Patrick was looking at his father's corpse. I thought it might have been something he was imagining, but I couldn't figure out why he seemed to have such an intense reaction after seeing it.
(My Sherlock brain also was reminded a little bit of The Final Problem when he started hitting the casket, in spite of myself!)

My dad knew who Hugo Weaving was, but my mum didn't and I could only recall seeing his name before but could not remember the context. I recognize some of the things he's been in on his IMDB page, but there's not a lot there that I've seen.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera