BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2018 9:48 pm  #21

Re: Avengers: Infinity War

Yes, poor Loki, dispatched in the very first moments of the film!
I liked the dissolving sequence, but was not too much moved by it, because with so many deaths it became obvious they are not true deaths. So the whole suspense is about how many of them will go back (I suspect pretty all)

May 2, 2018 9:00 am  #22

Spoilers!

Sadly BC doesn't sound at all as if there was a second Dr. Strange being planned, and he doesn't sound unhappy about it either (interview in the "Recent Interviews Extracts" thread).

And unless Thanos's "work" is undone practically immediately, or somebody turns back time, things will become really, really, catastrophical... Just imagine: The world rearranges itself to function with 4 billion people - and with a snap of the fingers there's 4 billion more!

May 2, 2018 7:07 pm  #23

SPOILERS

As I found out, Dr. Strange appeared in other Marvel movies besides his own origin movie. For example in Thor: Ragnarok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9fFPLrO3RU

So even if his stand-alone movie is not confirmed, that doesn´t mean he can´t appear in other Marvel works. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 2, 2018 7:50 pm  #24

I asumed we'd all watched Thor Ragnarok...I did for both Benedict and Tom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 3, 2018 6:59 am  #25

nakahara wrote:

So even if his stand-alone movie is not confirmed, that doesn´t mean he can´t appear in other Marvel works. 

Well, if he won't have a stand-alone movie, I don't care much about his appearing in other Marvel works. Much as I enjoyed his stunt in Avengers, the film is your typical-blockbuster-popcorn-entertainment and he has been reduced to some kind of action figure here, just like all other characters. Of course, there is the question of visibility, he has been under the radar for more than a year, so it is a good thing the audience is reminded of his existence 

May 3, 2018 7:00 am  #26

Possibly some people will get into Benedict just through Dr Strange and not via our Sherlock route!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 3, 2018 7:07 am  #27

miriel68 wrote:

Well, if he won't have a stand-alone movie, I don't care much about his appearing in other Marvel works. ...

Same here. I wanted a second Doctor Strange movie! Besides, BC seems to think that Dr. Strange stays dead...

May 6, 2018 2:23 pm  #28

Big Marvel fan here.  I LOVED THIS MOVIE!
Having read comics in my youth and enjoyed all the Marvel movies starting with Iron Man, Infinity Wars was the culmination of 10 years of excitement.  I wondered if they could pull off such a huge concept but it was everything I wanted it to be.

Doctor Strange has a significant role in the original comic book series and I was so happy to see him get plenty to do in the movie.  Believe me when I tell you that Ben has nailed that character.  Getting to see Strange and Tony Stark be smartasses to each other was a serious treat.  All the humor in the movie was well done and very much how I would've imagine certain characters interacting with each other.

After ten years I was absolutely emotionally invested in these characters.  Regardless about what has been said about upcoming movies, each "death" hit me hard.  Especially Peter Parker crying out that he didn't want to go.  And here's some impressive trivia, Tom Holland improvised that scene!!

Anyway, if anyone has any questions for someone who didn't just go see the movie for Ben, hit me!  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 6, 2018 11:20 pm  #29

Hi everyone :D
​I'm not sure if I got that correctly, I'm not very into the marvel universe...but am I right that this was the first encounter between Stark and Dr Strange? In all their scenes together I was waiting for a Sherlock / Sherlock Holmes reference any second but...I could not find any clear ones, beside the one SusiGo already mentioned
The only thing I'm not sure about is one line, that (in German) was something like "we're on the final level now" shortly after Dr Strange gave the stone away... did anyone see the movie in OV and might the line actually have been "the game is afoot"? I thought the lip movement would have fitted. But maybe that's just me😂

(PS, haven't been online in a while, it's nice to know you're still there and sherlocked as ever ;) ! )

May 7, 2018 12:02 am  #30

FluteLocked wrote:

Hi everyone :D
​I'm not sure if I got that correctly, I'm not very into the marvel universe...but am I right that this was the first encounter between Stark and Dr Strange? In all their scenes together I was waiting for a Sherlock / Sherlock Holmes reference any second but...I could not find any clear ones, beside the one SusiGo already mentioned
The only thing I'm not sure about is one line, that (in German) was something like "we're on the final level now" shortly after Dr Strange gave the stone away... did anyone see the movie in OV and might the line actually have been "the game is afoot"? I thought the lip movement would have fitted. But maybe that's just me😂

(PS, haven't been online in a while, it's nice to know you're still there and sherlocked as ever ;) ! )

The line in the original English was "We're in the Endgame now."  

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 7, 2018 7:12 am  #31

Well, I am not quite sure about the need for a Sherlock reference. This is MCU, a very different universe from Sherlock Holmes, and breaking the fourth wall like that may not be fun for everyone. I loved the scenes between Benedict and RDJ but I did not miss a Sherlock joke, tbh. 

Kittyhawk, what makes you think that Benedict expects Strange to stay dead?I cannot remember hearing anything of that sort. I would go as far and say that if anyone dies at all, it may be Tony. RDJ has been in MCU for ten years and does not work much in films anymore. So he might like to go out with a bang. Benedict on the other hand has only started. But I think that depends on the future of MCU as a whole. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 7, 2018 10:24 am  #32

SusiGo wrote:

Kittyhawk, what makes you think that Benedict expects Strange to stay dead?...

The interview here on the site, this thread: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=7568, Liberty's post of April 17.

Benedict says: "The latest is, I might not make it out of this film alive. It's (only?) on the end of the first film, if I'm right, 'Dr. Strange will be back". I have been back in Thor: Ragnarok and obviously in this film, so there's nothing to say, either contractually or otherwise, that he is coming back again." (the emphasis on nothing is Benedict's)

Then I had linked to this article on May 1st: https://nation.com.pk/19-Mar-2018/no-plans-for-second-doctor-strange (the link text says it already)

And of course you had posted the link to the La Strada article: http://www.lastampa.it/2018/04/30/spettacoli/mi-tolgo-il-costume-da-supereroe-e-divento-un-lord-eroinomane-cEFeqQfoVE8LoxxftjHdSK/amphtml/pagina.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true (once again, the info is already in the link text)

That's three sources, independent of each other, two quoting Benedict and one showing the man himself - I consider that pretty conclusive! Of course I'll be more than happy if the Marvel producers should prove me wrong, but I won't hold my breath...

May 9, 2018 9:20 am  #33

nakahara wrote:

....Unbelievable, that it´s the same man who acts as stern Sherlock ...

Off-topic here, but that statement has been bugging me ever since I first read it: Which Sherlock scene/episode are you referring to? Because "stern" is about the last adjective I'd put on Benedict's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes...

May 10, 2018 6:23 pm  #34

Kittyhawk wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Kittyhawk, what makes you think that Benedict expects Strange to stay dead?...

The interview here on the site, this thread: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=7568, Liberty's post of April 17.

Benedict says: "The latest is, I might not make it out of this film alive. It's (only?) on the end of the first film, if I'm right, 'Dr. Strange will be back". I have been back in Thor: Ragnarok and obviously in this film, so there's nothing to say, either contractually or otherwise, that he is coming back again." (the emphasis on nothing is Benedict's)

Then I had linked to this article on May 1st: https://nation.com.pk/19-Mar-2018/no-plans-for-second-doctor-strange (the link text says it already)

And of course you had posted the link to the La Strada article: http://www.lastampa.it/2018/04/30/spettacoli/mi-tolgo-il-costume-da-supereroe-e-divento-un-lord-eroinomane-cEFeqQfoVE8LoxxftjHdSK/amphtml/pagina.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true (once again, the info is already in the link text)

That's three sources, independent of each other, two quoting Benedict and one showing the man himself - I consider that pretty conclusive! Of course I'll be more than happy if the Marvel producers should prove me wrong, but I won't hold my breath...

But you also have to remember that this is the Marvel universe.  Actor's practically have to swear their lives on secrecy.  Ben's character "died" in Infinity Wars so he's not going to give even the slightest hint of if he'll be back or not in Avenger's 4.  Seriously.  These people take their secrets seriously.  Do you remember how long Benedict had to deny he was even going to play Doctor Strange??

So even taking into account the three sources above I would not discount Doctor Strange returning in A4 or making another stand alone movie.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 10, 2018 6:32 pm  #35

I agree, tonnaree. Is anyone ever really dead in the Marvel universe? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 17, 2018 10:24 am  #36

Kittyhawk wrote:

nakahara wrote:

....Unbelievable, that it´s the same man who acts as stern Sherlock ...

Off-topic here, but that statement has been bugging me ever since I first read it: Which Sherlock scene/episode are you referring to? Because "stern" is about the last adjective I'd put on Benedict's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes...

I´am refering to S1 of Sherlock where Sherlock was still very mysterious and seemed stern from time to time. That changed gradually, I give you that.

Back to topic. I saw this today and I couldn´t stop laughing:

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 17, 2018 10:34 am  #37

People are unusually creative with this, lol:

May 17, 2018 3:38 pm  #38

Ug.
Please warn before pictures of roaches or spiders!

June 21, 2018 2:04 pm  #39

I thought this was cool.

Josh Brolin says Benedict Cumberbatch inspired him to take Infinity War role.
http://ew.com/movies/2018/06/20/josh-brolin-benedict-cumberbatch-infinity-war/

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 21, 2018 3:48 pm  #40

I know.  Isn't it lovely?

Board footera