BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2018 5:01 pm  #81

Re: Patrick Melrose

That would be me, but I'm not forking out...from Yorkshire and living in Scotland-ha!
Still hoping for a DVD.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 11, 2018 6:14 pm  #82

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 13, 2018 3:32 pm  #83

Watched the first episode last night.  What a whirlwind!
For those familiar with the books they flipped the first two and used Bad News as the first episode and the second will be based on Never Mind.  I think this was a very wise choice.  Bad News really throws you into the action and gives Benedict so much to work with.  BC himself won't be a big part of the second episode that will take place mostly in flashback.

Do I really have to say how amazing Ben was?  He holds nothing back from the pain and ugliness in Patrick's head and his self-destructive behavior.  After reading the books I would've wanted to watch any adaptation regardless of who stared.  However Benedict was made for this role.

Only had a couple of glimpses of Hugo Weaving as Patrick's father but it was enough to make me excited about his performance in episode 2.

I am also glad that this is on Showtime so that they aren't going to have to sanitize any of the darkness in Patrick's story.  

Part of me wishes we had gotten all the episodes at once so that I could just binge the series.  However, even if I could binge it wouldn't be a good idea.  For this story I think I"m going to really need the week in between episodes for recovery and contemplation.  

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 13, 2018 4:08 pm  #84

I loved it, harrowing though it was...
kind of makes it worse that I won' be able to see any of the others!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 14, 2018 8:30 am  #85

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 14, 2018 8:54 am  #86

Well deserved. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 14, 2018 1:55 pm  #87

I have a feeling the second episode is going to hurt even worse than the first.
Even though I expect the story telling to be a bit more subtle.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 14, 2018 3:25 pm  #88

I am really angry with my best Sherlock pal right now...
She hated it, completely slagged it off and  her attitude was appalling.

May 14, 2018 5:30 pm  #89

besleybean wrote:

Was she specific about what she didn't like? 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 14, 2018 5:37 pm  #90

Saying he was a horrible man and why would she want to spend any time with him...talk about completely missing the point.
I was hard pressed not to tell her to never work for social services, with attitude like that.
Somebody put up a beautiful meme about it on facebook, whch said it better than I did...but I can't copy and paste it for her.
If she gets back to me(Ithink she knows I'm annoyed!), I can quote it to her...
"He behaves abominably, becuse he is evolving from being a victim to being a survivor."

Last edited by besleybean (May 14, 2018 5:39 pm)

May 14, 2018 6:29 pm  #91

Nice quote.

May 14, 2018 6:31 pm  #92

Isn't it just?

May 14, 2018 8:25 pm  #93

besleybean wrote:

Well, the series deals with a hard subject. I can imagine some people could be put off by that. Reviews of the books were similarily polarised.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 14, 2018 8:27 pm  #94

Yeah well she's supposed to be a Christian and quite frankly I found her attitude heartless.

May 14, 2018 8:32 pm  #95

besleybean wrote:

Yeah well she's supposed to be a Christian and quite frankly I found her attitude heartless.

Christians are fallible people too.... like anybody else.

May 14, 2018 8:34 pm  #96

She works in the charity/caring sector, though,...

May 15, 2018 5:43 pm  #97

have a question about the scene in the hotel room when Patrick tries to kill himself. He cannot open the window, not even when he smashes the urn against the pane. When he wakes up in the morning, the window is wide open. Is this to be understood symbolically (him choosing life although he could end it)? Because we never see him manage to open the window.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 15, 2018 5:47 pm  #98

Yes and altho I did wonder about that scene...I somehow loved it.
There was a window lock shown, wasn't there?
Did the lovely member of staff...the lift guy/bell boy/ concierege/porter....or one of the housemaids shown- did they come in and open it?

May 15, 2018 9:03 pm  #99

besleybean wrote:

Saying he was a horrible man and why would she want to spend any time with him...talk about completely missing the point.
I was hard pressed not to tell her to never work for social services, with attitude like that.
Somebody put up a beautiful meme about it on facebook, whch said it better than I did...but I can't copy and paste it for her.
If she gets back to me(Ithink she knows I'm annoyed!), I can quote it to her...
"He behaves abominably, becuse he is evolving from being a victim to being a survivor."

I haven't seen the episode yet, so I will not be in this thread too much until I have, but what I will say is that it can be a difficult balance to make a character who is hard to like still a character that a viewer (or reader) will be interested in. I know there are times when I've watched a film and the characters were so despicable (cough cough Goodfellas) that I couldn't connect and did not like the film at all. But there are other times when a character is irritating and is not very nice to people but is still a character who is interesting to watch, sometimes even a character you want to succeed. And maybe different people have different thresholds for how much to tolerate before they can't stand it. I know there are people who checked out of other TV shows once the characters got to a certain point of badness.

Clueing for looks.

May 15, 2018 9:41 pm  #100

SusiGo wrote:

have a question about the scene in the hotel room when Patrick tries to kill himself. He cannot open the window, not even when he smashes the urn against the pane. When he wakes up in the morning, the window is wide open. Is this to be understood symbolically (him choosing life although he could end it)? Because we never see him manage to open the window.

I thought about that a lot.  One idea I had was that he only imagined he couldn't open the window.  That there was one little piece of his soul left that didn't want to die and held him back.

Just writing that made me want to cry.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera