BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 10, 2018 1:28 pm  #1

Instinct

Is anybody else on here watching Instinct?
It's currently airing on American and Canadian television and I don't know if it's available in any other countries yet, but it's kind of a fun show if you enjoy Alan Cumming. I like that it's a mystery show but also has humour in it and that Alan Cumming's character is gay but that's not the most important part of his identity and isn't really the main part of the plot unless there are plot events relating to his husband (I think they're married, I missed a few episodes), but even then, the plot isn't about being gay it's about the relationship itself.

Clueing for looks.

May 10, 2018 2:36 pm  #2

Re: Instinct

I'm not able to watch it, but I was curious about it and I think I posted something about it a while ago (or maybe I just meant to!).   It reminded me of Mark Gatiss's remarks* about progress being a big detective show, where the main character is incidentally gay.  I heard it didn't get brilliant reviews, but I love Alan Cumming so would probably enjoy it! 

*"That’s how the revolution happens as it were, you just become aware that people are incidentally gay. I think when the day comes that you have a big detective show where the first half hour was this man at work and he’s a maverick and all the usual things and then we went home and his boyfriend says, “Are you alright?” it was just a thing, then something would have genuinely changed. I think the problem still is it becomes the issue. I think the thing with gay characters is that it has to be an issue as opposed to being part of everyday life, which of course we all know is what it is"

Last edited by Liberty (May 10, 2018 2:36 pm)

May 10, 2018 10:07 pm  #3

Re: Instinct

You might have, but I don't remember.

I like that quote from Mark. He makes a good point, and I think it's nice that we're getting to the point where a character being incidentally gay is a possibility, even if it still doesn't happen all the time. 

es haven't really read any reviews of Instinct. I wouldn't say it's the very best show I've seen, but it's pretty enjoyable and fun. This week's episode wasn't my favourite, but I have enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera