BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 23, 2018 6:40 am  #81

Re: Recent interview extracts

Hopefully not: I don't see why they couldn't work together, even if they have differences.

But I've been mulling it over, and it's still bothering me.  Of course, it has been reported in the media as Benedict "slams" Martin, and so on, but the more I think of it, the more I think he absolutely must have known that would happen.  He's not stupid, and it would have been easy enough for him to answer the question in a different way - after all, the question(s) were about how Benedict was affected, rather than what he thought of Martin.  So for some reason, he wanted a story out there about a rift between them.  Why do you think he would want that?

April 23, 2018 6:41 am  #82

Because I think he's a bit disappointed with Martin about something, but I don't think it has anything to do with Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 23, 2018 7:50 am  #83

I agree, Liberty. He is media-savvy enough by now to know what they will make out of it. And doing it twice, with stronger wordings, seems quite deliberate. 

Edit: This has reached Norwegian media now. An online newspaper calling it "full-out Sherlock quarrel". Here we go...

Last edited by Vhanja (April 23, 2018 8:07 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 23, 2018 9:26 am  #84

besleybean wrote:

Because I think he's a bit disappointed with Martin about something, but I don't think it has anything to do with Sherlock.

I still think it´s comments in the Martin´s interview that made him irrate for some reason. He would not wait more than half and a year for voicing his low opinion on things concerning Sherlock, IMHO.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 23, 2018 10:05 am  #85

German media are also reporting this, even Spiegel and Stern. 

Here is another take on this by Martin where he tries to calm things down a bit. Starts am 4.40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgBQ3JSkfIk&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by SusiGo (April 23, 2018 10:05 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 23, 2018 11:28 am  #86

Thanks, Susi, for the link. I really liked what he said a lot. 

Usually Martin is the sassy and grumpy one, while Ben is the classy and diplomatic one. It seems the roles have been reversed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 23, 2018 3:17 pm  #87

Yes, thanks from me too, Susi.
And well done Martin, as well.
That seems to be fairly clear from his point of view: no rift with Benedict and happy to do Sherlock again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 23, 2018 5:17 pm  #88

Thanks for sharing the link to the interview. I appreciate Martin's honesty and his wanting to be clear about what he meant to say.

Clueing for looks.

April 23, 2018 5:35 pm  #89

Thank you for the link!  Some lovely comments from Martin there, about Sherlock!  I actually think he was quite clear in the interview (if his words were reported accurately) that it wasn't the show itself that was the problem.  Kudos to him for not hitting back at Benedict and turning it into a feud.  I think that's the best approach. 

April 23, 2018 5:35 pm  #90

Are we sure that he is aware of Benedict's comments?!

April 23, 2018 6:18 pm  #91

Ooh, I don't know!  I couldn't hear the question and thought it was about that, but I suppose he does sound remarkably calm and generous about Benedict if that's the case!  Maybe he isn't aware?  Oh dear! 

April 23, 2018 6:41 pm  #92

No she merely asked him about his infamous 'no fun' interview, no mention of Benedict's reaction to it!

April 23, 2018 7:14 pm  #93

I don't think he was aware of it. But I am sure some reporter will confront him about it soon enough.

Team Hudders!

April 23, 2018 7:16 pm  #94

Aargh!

May 1, 2018 7:33 pm  #95

I know this is the category for Ben's press, but seeing as I think it would be good to keep this discussion in one thread, I am posting this here. Martin has made a new statement (because he was asked again) about his thoughts on Sherlock. And, again, I fully understand where he is coming from and wholeheartedly agree with him! (And thankfully the interviewer didn't bring up Ben's comment):

https://www.thedailybeast.com/martin-freeman-on-sherlock-backlash-black-panther-mania-and-his-future-marvel-plans

Team Hudders!

May 1, 2018 7:38 pm  #96

I love Martin.

May 1, 2018 7:58 pm  #97

Good interview!  I love that he hasn't turned it into a feud (although he may still not be aware of Ben's comments!).  I like what he says the human stories in zombie films.

May 1, 2018 8:00 pm  #98

I think it's the mark of class actors that they look for more thn the superficial...Benedict is the same.

May 8, 2018 9:22 pm  #99

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 9, 2018 6:02 am  #100

Surely he has seen the headlines about the "rift" by now?  Good on him for continuing to be gracious (and positive about S5!).

Board footera