BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2018 8:38 pm  #301

Re: Still unexplained secrets?

I think it's in the nature of sibling rivalry that it would be natural to feel some resentment if your brother was the obvious favourite.   I wouldn't blame if he did sometimes feel it (although, as I say, it's not something we really see much of).   We do see how much they care for each other in TFP, despite the resentments.

April 28, 2018 9:11 pm  #302

But Mycroft does also mentions "old scores" - what could he indicate with that?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 28, 2018 9:23 pm  #303

If he's not just deflecting John, then I think probably more of the same - the sibling rivalry.   Sherlock seems to so easily wound up by Mycroft and starts acting like a teenager - I bet they have had many arguments that we haven't seen.  If Mycroft gets overprotective, Sherlock tends to rebel against him, so making his concern evident maybe isn't the best way to safeguard him. 

But I'm still bearing in my mind that Mycroft needs to put John off the scent.  He's claiming that he can't talk to Sherlock because of these old scores, but at some point he must have worked closely with him on planning the fall.

April 28, 2018 9:40 pm  #304

Liberty wrote:

But I'm still bearing in my mind that Mycroft needs to put John off the scent.  He's claiming that he can't talk to Sherlock because of these old scores, but at some point he must have worked closely with him on planning the fall.

That´s a good point!

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 29, 2018 1:36 am  #305

That is certainly a possibility.

July 27, 2018 9:09 am  #306

Still unexplained secret: Who posted the Miss Me-Video in HLV? 

I mean, it was the cliffhanger of S3, right? And it was never answered-

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 27, 2018 11:53 am  #307

I read somewhere that it was allegedly Eurus, but I don´t quite believe it. Like, it was never confirmed in the show itself, was it (I don´t remember it being mentioned anywhere)? Also, the writers made a big fuss with the video at the end of HLV, but absolutely omitted to mention it in the Abominable Bride or The Six Thatchers, if I recall it correctly?

July 27, 2018 1:40 pm  #308

I really like the suggestion of Eurus.  She had footage of Moriarty speaking to camera, and it's on the screen at Sherringford.  If she knew about Sherlock being sent off on his mission, then she would do something to bring him back.   And it's the start of the puzzle of S4.  It would tie it altogether nicely. 

July 27, 2018 6:45 pm  #309

I agree.  It must have been Eurus.  I know of no one else who could have done that.

July 28, 2018 6:12 am  #310

Yeah, I always assumed it was her too. Who else could it be?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 28, 2018 7:02 am  #311

I think that possibly the reason it wasn't confirmed was that we were meant to guess it.   I think the show does confirm that Moriarty really is dead, and that Eurus was using him to manipulate Sherlock.  

Nakahara, it is mentioned at the beginning of TST when they talk about the video and Moriarty in the secret meeting. 

July 29, 2018 5:46 pm  #312

Liberty wrote:

I really like the suggestion of Eurus.  She had footage of Moriarty speaking to camera, and it's on the screen at Sherringford.  If she knew about Sherlock being sent off on his mission, then she would do something to bring him back.   And it's the start of the puzzle of S4.  It would tie it altogether nicely. 

I do not think it is her. I watched the HLV video and Moriarty is wearing a completely different outfit. In TFP, however, he is wearing the same clothes when leaving the helicopter, talking to Mycroft, visiting Eurus as well as in the videos she uses. Therefore it cannot be the same source. 

Plus, how was she to know about the super secret events at Magnussen's house? And the super secret talks with Mycroft, Sir Edwin, and Lady Smallwood?

And, finally, I think a cliffhanger as big as that should be explained. Which was never their strength if you remember TEH. 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 29, 2018 5:48 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 30, 2018 8:15 am  #313

I don't think Moriarty would have to film everything in one go. Seeing as they only met for five minutes, he wouldn't have had time to film anything at Sherrinford anyway. 

Also, the "Miss me?" wouldn't have to have been filmed with Sherlock leaving England in mind. It could be that it was just meant for a way to start the Eurus game. But when they saw Sherlock was leaving, probably for good, they had to broadcast it immediately.

As for how she knew, well, high intelligence and the skill of dedution has been used more or less like magic throughout the entire show. (Reminds of the trope "A wizard did it" - you can handwave anything away if you have magic or geniuses on the show XD ).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 30, 2018 6:15 pm  #314

We know she had a lot of connections with the outside, and was a master manipulator.  I don't think it would be hard for her to extract information or to predict things (going by the way they portray her).   I also wonder just how much information Mycroft himself was feeding her.  He made the mistake of thinking she was "safe" at Sherrinford, and I do think he was being manipulated by her too. 

There's also a possibility that she didn't know about the exile, but just wanted to start off the "game".  It does seem a coincidence that comes just at the right time, but actually it would have had the same outcome (of saving Sherlock) if it had been broadcast earlier, or in fact, a few weeks or even months later, as long as they could have contacted Sherlock to bring him back.  And Eurus has been planning for a long time.  Presumably she'd have started off the game at some point anyway, regardless of whether Sherlock had been exiled.  I like to think that she knew, though, and was saving him.  It mirrors nicely with him having to save her when she's on her imaginary plane. 

Anyway, I think Mycroft was the only other serious suspect for the "Miss Me" cliffhanger, but I think Eurus makes more sense. 

July 30, 2018 6:17 pm  #315

Indeed, didn't realise anybody would think it anyone else!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 31, 2018 2:05 pm  #316

The thing I do not like about all this is that while drawing one's own conclusions is fine, a bit of explanation would not hurt. (This thing Sherlock Holmes usually provides at the end of a case). But since there are more and more hints to a S5, there is still time to tell us one or the other thing. 

July 31, 2018 6:09 pm  #317

Judging from the past (i.e. things I would have liked explained in the next series/episode which never were!) I don't think they'll go out of their way to explain this if there's a S5.  Especially when it's something most people won't really bother about, or just think "It was Eurus".  The only way I can see it come up is if Eurus is in S5 in a significant way.  I think she could feature, but I feel they've kind of done the Eurus story.

August 2, 2018 4:54 pm  #318

I hope they haven't...I want so much more!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera