BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2018 3:35 pm  #61

Re: Recent interview extracts

Well said, on the last point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 22, 2018 4:08 pm  #62

Yes, I noticed that line too: of course we don't have tone of voice there.  It felt to me that it came from a place of frustration of having previously had comments like that about the character, and also himself (I think he has also been criticised for being "posh").  At other points in the interview he seems jokey and amiable, so I don't know. 

It is interesting that this is the same journalist who interviewed Martin.  Also Martin's comments had no criticism of Benedict.  

April 22, 2018 4:16 pm  #63

Maybe there is no reason to criticise Benedict...just saying!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 22, 2018 4:33 pm  #64

Oh, I didn't say there was!  Just still puzzled about why Benedict would feel the need to criticise Martin (if that's what he's doing), when Martin was just talking about his own feelings.  It's not a tit for tat thing.  I wonder if there is a sore point there that we just don't know about?

April 22, 2018 4:38 pm  #65

Unless this has been a total misunderstanding/misrepresentation...it's certainly looking that way.
I doubt they would fight about their fans or even their work, unless one feels the other would be letting the fans down. But even then, they would understand an actor having to do what he felt was right for him and his career.
So if there IS any kind of rift(and we don't know that there is), it's apparently over something else.
Or possibly if one of them told Mark and Steven they thought S4 was total shit, but I really can't see that.

April 22, 2018 5:22 pm  #66

This just seems odd and unprofessional, very unlike Ben. If my colleague had made a statement that I took issue with, I would either talk to my colleague about it or take it to our superior. I would not write about it on Facebook.

Edit: Actually, something similar did happen. A soon-to-be colleague of mine posted something on Facebook that was very controverial and offensive, and not in line with the policy of our company. Neither me, my other colleagues nor our boss commented on the Facebook post. Instead, our boss politely adressed the issue with her in person, and it was resolved then and there.

Last edited by Vhanja (April 22, 2018 5:24 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 22, 2018 5:26 pm  #67

It would be nice to think Benedict and Martin would speak to each other directly...they have done in the past!

April 22, 2018 5:57 pm  #68

I suppose I don't understand why Ben would take issue with what Martin said.  It was nothing to do with him, and just about Martin finding that dealing with the pressures of fame made the experience less enjoyable.  I can't see anything that Ben should object to, or call weak or pathetic.  The only way it makes sense is if they had a heated discussion about this previously, and Ben thought Martin was getting at him by saying that.   But that seems far-fetched?

April 22, 2018 5:59 pm  #69

Yes I must confess, I can't see how Martin could in any way have been thought to be getting on at Benedict...

April 22, 2018 6:12 pm  #70

No, it doesn't make sense, any of it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 22, 2018 6:14 pm  #71

So it's either a storm in a tea cup, or Benedict is indeed irritatetd with Martin over something, though it's not really anything to do with Sherlock as such...

April 22, 2018 6:28 pm  #72

Apologies for replying to my own post.
But I remembered this and deliberately went and sought it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ1pJ2m1N5s

What's happened folks?
Loads of other instances I remember, too...

April 22, 2018 7:27 pm  #73

Liberty wrote:

I suppose I don't understand why Ben would take issue with what Martin said.  It was nothing to do with him, and just about Martin finding that dealing with the pressures of fame made the experience less enjoyable.  I can't see anything that Ben should object to, or call weak or pathetic.  The only way it makes sense is if they had a heated discussion about this previously, and Ben thought Martin was getting at him by saying that.   But that seems far-fetched?

It's pretty pathetic if that's all it takes to let you not want to take grip of your reality. What, because of expectations?

Maybe he doesn´t take issue with Martin´s feelings, but with his attitude there? Saying something like: "if you are a huge celebrity now, you should take both good and bad things this role brings to you and stop moaning about it." Disliking this "I´m a poor, poor celebrity because my fans have expectations" act?

But of course, that´s just speculation. Who knows what really goes through heads of these people.

Last edited by nakahara (April 22, 2018 7:28 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 22, 2018 7:57 pm  #74

"To not want to take grip of your reality"? Wtf? That is an insane statement. It is actually so far from what Martin ever said that it makes me reconsider if he was talking about Martin at all here.

I also think it shows very little respect of Martin's feelings to call their emotions and reactions an "act". Then again, I am not sure if you are talking about Martin either, because your "poor, poor"-statement is just as far from what Martin said as Ben's pathetic comment is, so I am not sure what either of you guys are talking about.

Team Hudders!

April 22, 2018 8:16 pm  #75

Vhanja wrote:

"To not want to take grip of your reality"? Wtf? That is an insane statement. It is actually so far from what Martin ever said that it makes me reconsider if he was talking about Martin at all here.

I also think it shows very little respect of Martin's feelings to call their emotions and reactions an "act". Then again, I am not sure if you are talking about Martin either, because your "poor, poor"-statement is just as far from what Martin said as Ben's pathetic comment is, so I am not sure what either of you guys are talking about.

Just as you can´t help feeling disappointed in Benedict, I can´t help it that Martin´s interview made that impression on me. If you disagree, that´s your right, but don´t prescribe me what I should or shouldn´t feel, OK?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 22, 2018 8:20 pm  #76

Vhanja wrote:

So one cannot describe actor´s feeling as "act", but it´s alsolutely allright to call the opinions of another actor "insane". LOL 

April 22, 2018 8:40 pm  #77

nakahara wrote:

Just as you can´t help feeling disappointed in Benedict, I can´t help it that Martin´s interview made that impression on me. If you disagree, that´s your right, but don´t prescribe me what I should or shouldn´t feel, OK?

Then maybe we shouldn't prescribe what Martin should or should not feel either? 

I can't see that I have told you what to feel or not feel, only that I find you statement lacking in respect of Martin's feelings. 

Team Hudders!

April 22, 2018 8:41 pm  #78

nakahara wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

So one cannot describe actor´s feeling as "act", but it´s alsolutely allright to call the opinions of another actor "insane". LOL 

There is a difference between criticizing a statement and criticizing someone for what they feel. The first one you are in control of, the second one you are not.

But I haven't said that you cannot describe an actor's feelings as an act, only that I think it's disrespectful to do so.

Last edited by Vhanja (April 22, 2018 8:42 pm)

Team Hudders!

April 22, 2018 9:48 pm  #79

Vhanja wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Then maybe we shouldn't prescribe what Martin should or should not feel either? 

I can't see that I have told you what to feel or not feel, only that I find you statement lacking in respect of Martin's feelings. 

Respect should be earned, you know. I don´t doubt MF´s feelings are 100% genuine, but I still can´t see why I should respect it if successful, rich and healthy person with lovely kids complains about trivialities (that´s how it feels to me, sorry). 

No hard feelings about MF as a person, but his interview seemed quite off to me. 

Don´t understand why you should jump at me like that for posting a simple speculation about BC possible motives, really. Ignore it, if you don´t like it, or post your own.

April 23, 2018 6:09 am  #80

I honestly think this is a post S4 thing.
We have all seen the gifs and footage from S4 setlock: interacting with the babies and dogs. Plus the end of series hug between the boys.  There was no evidence that there was any bad feeling between Amanda, Benedict or Martin- tho we know there was a bit of discomfort forA&M, because of the nature of the scenes in the circumstances.
I really think something happened later: was Benedict told something that changed his opinion of Martin?
Even then, I don't think it's a final big fight.
Re-thinking what Benedict actually said, it's more like a frustration that Martin is focusing on the wrong things.
Hopefully this at least won't stop any future Sherlock!

Last edited by besleybean (April 23, 2018 6:09 am)

Board footera