BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2018 8:43 pm  #41

Re: Recent interview extracts

SusiGo wrote:

To me, the whole article seems off and not in character, tbh. Take for example the way he is talking about Weinstein. We know that he spoke out vehemently for #metoo, equal pay issues and so on but he never got personal. Now we have this at least twice in the article. 
For me, the whole style is somehow off. 

And I really do not want to go into a "who is the worse guy" but I found some things Martin has said in the past quite offensive. 

I have a feeling that there have been problems between them and/or in the Sherlock team for years which finally have come to the surface. Just my idea. 

I am a bit suspicious about the article too - the wording of that "pathetic" passage is too similar to the wording we had in the video, so I am not entirely convinced it´s a new quote. And like Liberty, I am afraid the interview was deliberately made more juicy by the interviever.

On the other hand, if Ben really felt the need to emphasise his disapproval with Martin´s opinion so strongly, I believe he had his valid reason for it. He certainly does not do it just for the kicks of it.

I don´t mind if that makes him look bad in the eyes of some people, because I never held some unrealistic standard for his behaviour. Benedict is not some angelic being, but human like anybody else and like all people, he can come off as unpleasant or totally bitchy from time to time. Unless it does become a habit, that´s allright with me. We all had an episodes like that, I´m sure.

Hm, interesting theory about some problems from the past surfacing now, Susi. Although I speculate that the reason for Ben´s words is probably most recent - I think that something in Martin´s quotes pissed him off greatly for some reason. We´ll see if something more comes to light about that.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 21, 2018 8:56 pm  #42

Liberty wrote:

Now you mention it, I do remember something from ages and ages ago ... an interview with him, where he was mildly critical about some fans when he was being interviewed (in a restaurant?), calling them "the florals".  I took it with a pinch of salt, but I do suspect that he might have been expressing genuine feelings "off the record" before he became more media savvy.

I remember that incident too. "Florals" were bothering Benedict during a business lunch and when he refused to sign an autograph for them, indicating that they are rude to butt in like that, they took pictures of him from apart...
He didn´t call them any names we could hear, he didn´t swear, he just refused to do their bidding.... surely that can be excused? How should he show them they overstepped the boundaries then?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 21, 2018 9:02 pm  #43

besleybean wrote:

Oh sorry I did mean to say that in one of my fb groups, some fans are commenting that they felt BC seemed very uncomfortable on GN last night and also when he was on with Eddie...I can't say I noticed on either occasion.

Watched GN and didn´t notice either. He was funny as allways - actually, all the guests were. I enjoyed the show quite a lot. 

April 22, 2018 12:51 am  #44

I watched the clips and he seemed normal to me, also. I think that everyone might have a bit of apprehension on the show, just because you never know what Graham is going to bring up as a topic (they tend to go digging into people's pasts, which can be a bit awkward), but it's not mean-spirited. Benedict was laughing when he was telling the story about filming Doctor Strange, so I don't think he could have been too uncomfortable.

Clueing for looks.

April 22, 2018 6:42 am  #45

As I said to the other fan girls: Benedict and Graham know each other really well now, I think they are quite good pals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 22, 2018 7:55 am  #46

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Now you mention it, I do remember something from ages and ages ago ... an interview with him, where he was mildly critical about some fans when he was being interviewed (in a restaurant?), calling them "the florals".  I took it with a pinch of salt, but I do suspect that he might have been expressing genuine feelings "off the record" before he became more media savvy.

I remember that incident too. "Florals" were bothering Benedict during a business lunch and when he refused to sign an autograph for them, indicating that they are rude to butt in like that, they took pictures of him from apart...
He didn´t call them any names we could hear, he didn´t swear, he just refused to do their bidding.... surely that can be excused? How should he show them they overstepped the boundaries then?

I thought I did excuse him, by saying I thought his comments were meant to be off the record?  But I wouldn't say the women had overstepped the boundaries at the point that he made the comment: they had looked over at him - kind of difficult not to do if Benedict Cumberbatch happens to be sitting in the same brasserie! 

We’ve barely sat down at our banquette at Gin Joint — a fancy-pants brasserie at the Barbican Centre — when Cumberbatch curses gently under his breath: “Oh lord, here we go, here we go.” He indicates two middle-aged women in flowery dresses sitting at a table across the room. “The florals over there,” he says, eyes averted. “They’re giving a bit of a head-turning — it’s begun.”
https://www.out.com/out-exclusives/2014/10/14/poised-make-alan-turing-his-own-sherlock-star-benedict-cumberbatch-no-stranger-sexual-politics-and-bullying

Anyway, I have a feeling he didn't intend for that to be published.

Last edited by Liberty (April 22, 2018 8:00 am)

April 22, 2018 8:01 am  #47

Thanks for the link.
I don't actually think he's being unkind there.
I feel he was just describing a situation as it was and also he placed it in a wider context. 
He wasn't being upfront rude to people.  Those are the incidencies that bother me the most, anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 22, 2018 8:02 am  #48

I have less problems with these anecdotes from fans than I have with this recent issue. First of all, because we only hear one side of the story, Ben's version might be slightly different. And second, everyone is allowed to have a bad day. It's of course very unfortunate and unfair for whomever fan that falls on, but I certainly do not expect Ben do be perfect 24/7, that's impossible. 

However, these interviews are different for me. If he had only done it once, and then realised afterwards that perhaps his wording was a bit unfortunate or a bit misunderstood, he could have used that second interview to set the record straight. (That was what Martin did in this case). Instead, when he get asked a second time, he uses the word "patethic", which is even stronger than before.

So to me this is not about him being perfect or having a bad day. It's how deliberate it is that strikes me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 22, 2018 8:15 am  #49

Yeah I'm  a bit confused, I thought it was the same interview shown twice...so which order did they come in?  Anyway, it doesn't matter.
We'll have to wait and see what(if anything) happens.

April 22, 2018 8:16 am  #50

I just hope that media won't try to make this into a public quarrel and run to Martin with "Did you know what Ben said?" 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 22, 2018 8:18 am  #51

Yeah, always a worry.
But really they should be able to deal with this...
Unless there is an underlying issue we dont know about.
And hell, actors are such narcissists!

April 22, 2018 8:18 am  #52

@BB,re: the florals comment,  I have a feeling that the interviewer had an agenda in posting it (to be fair, I suppose they always have an agenda - a good story, a certain angle, etc.).  What the fans were meant to see was the very polite refusal of a photo later, not this (what seems to be a private) comment. 

Re: the comments about the Martin, there seem to be three interviews.  Two recorded ones, and the Telegraph one. I think the Telegraph one seems to be last. 

April 22, 2018 8:20 am  #53

So I suppose he's just trying to be consistent in his comments?

Last edited by besleybean (April 22, 2018 8:20 am)

April 22, 2018 8:26 am  #54

I honestly don't know.  I'm still puzzled and surprised by it.  As Vhanja said, he presumably had time to rethink and clarify between the interviews, but if anything the last one is more strongly put ("pathetic" rather than "weak"). 

April 22, 2018 9:02 am  #55

Wonder if there is a hidden agenda then...all I can think of is the real sense of devastation emanating from Amanda through Twitter...or it could just simply be something Bendict does personally feel very strongly about. Oh we humans are complex beings!

Oh I meant to add. The only bit I would moan about, on a personal level, no sympathy with anybody who suffers with a hangover...that is not an excuse for anything.  That really is pathetic and I would tell Benedict that to his face!

Last edited by besleybean (April 22, 2018 9:07 am)

April 22, 2018 9:08 am  #56

Of course, we are all just speculating and none of us knows what's really going on (if anything). But I still don't think this has anything to do with Martin and Amanda splitting up. Ben and Martin were never close friends. Good colleagues (at least back in the day), but not close friends. Meaning I can't see how Ben could have been involved in the break-up, or the aftermath, in any way. I can't see Martin confiding in him, and I really can't see Ben sticking his nose into their affairs. 

The only thing I can ever imagine having happened, would have been some kind of conflict between Martin and Amanda while filming S4, and Ben getting involved there. But even so, I can't see how that should have any impact now.

Anyway, these are just wild speculations, we don't know anything.

Team Hudders!

April 22, 2018 9:15 am  #57

Well taking(some of) what Amanda and Martin have both said in interview: the split happened 2 weeks before they started filming S4. The have both said they would willing to work together in the future, but obvioulsy they found this particular filming a tad emotional-by the very nature of the scenes they were filming!
They did say that they told asolutey NOBODY. Now does that include the Sherlock team?  I would find that hard to believe.  Surely a simple text of: just so there is no awkwardness on set, this has happened, we're both fine, getting on with our lives and happy to work together...
Amanda and Benedict were at the Wilderness festival(is that right?) together, don't know if that has any bearing...
There is the famous hug between Benedict and Martin at the end of S4 filming.

Last edited by besleybean (April 22, 2018 9:15 am)

April 22, 2018 9:55 am  #58

It feels as if the "rift" (if there is one) is more professional than personal, so I don't know if it has anything to do with Amanda (well, obviously I don't!)?
I don't want any more unpleasantness, but I would love some clarification of what's going on here.  Although I suppose three interviews is enough to be clear?

April 22, 2018 9:58 am  #59

I don't even really feel it's professional...it just seems to be about fans.
Unless somebody really was unhappy about S4...
But I don't see the point in Benedict hinting on future Sherlock, if he really thougth Martin wasn't on board.

April 22, 2018 3:25 pm  #60

Just some thoughts: If I remember correctly, there were some rumours of a rift long before S4, i.e. between S3 and TAB. One was concerned with Benedict doing Hamlet and Doctor Strange and not being available for some time but I am not sure if this had any bearing on their relationship. During this time there was a promo event for The Hobbit series at London where Benedict tried to talk to Martin who seemed quite dismissive. The awkward moments were filmed and I saw them at the time. 

As for the Telegraph interview: I think Benedict probably had an issue with the paper and/or the journalist himself because he used quite strong language throughout and did not seem happy with the stance the journalist took. Here is another non-Martin non-Sherlock quote from the article (this is about Patrick Melrose):

"I mean, what, you think people who are sexually abused by their father from the age of five to 10 aren’t worthy of our attention because they’re posh? You need to go back to ethics school, surely. That’s a terribly shaky moral position to hold."

Last edited by SusiGo (April 22, 2018 3:25 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera