BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2018 10:55 am  #1

Recent interview extracts

http://isignedupforbenedict.tumblr.com/post/172993596470/221bcumberb-will-there-be-a-doctor-strange-2

Thank you so much, Benedict, for defending the fans. Big applause and thumbs up!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 17, 2018 2:47 pm  #2

Re: Recent interview extracts

Hm, I was actually a bit disappointed with that statement (considering I've only read the transcript so do not really know how he said it or the full context of it). I don't think it's fair to call Martin's reaction for "weak". Then again, I am not sure if he did that, seeing as he hadn't heard Martin's statement and thus was forced to respond to the interviewers short recap of it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 17, 2018 5:32 pm  #3

Unfortunately the video didn't work for me, so I can't hear the context either!   There was another video on the website, though, which mentions the same thing:
https://youtu.be/cvWyzPx07sY
I do think it's a slightly unfair question, as I feel Martin's comments were about the more objectionable stuff out there (not about people shipping the characters, which I don't think anybody objects to!).  In the second video, Benedict says that he doesn't engage in the same way Martin does, so I presume wasn't aware of the issues (the accusations of homophobia, and so on), and wasn't so affected.   He's probably very wise to keep out of it! 

However ... I don't know if I sensed something, as if there had been some mild falling out between him and Martin?  Or maybe not even that much, but there's something possibly negative, which I don't remember hearing before from Benedict.  I'm surprised.  Although it could just be my imagination. 

April 17, 2018 5:42 pm  #4

I worried about this, too.
Generally I would say not.
If anything I honestly think the whole team may just be a tad upset about the break up with Amanda.
I know Mark has been particularly supportive of Amanda, but I doubt anyone would actually fall out with Martin.
My thoughts:  I think it geneuinely is just because everyone is busy, that there are no current plans for more Sherlock.
However, I don't think either Benedict or Martin will do any more Sherlock, unless the script was up to it.
Benedict is right in his comment, that you are either on board with the project or not and I actually feel that's the same for fans, too!
I don't think he was particularly having a go at Martin, but I also got a bit confused about the line of argument...
The writers are responsible?  Well yes, but for what and what did Benedict mean by that?
The fans are responsible for their views...but they in no way reflect the quality of the work.
So yes it was a very full and interesting interview, I agreed with a lot that benedict said...but I remained puzzled!

Last edited by besleybean (April 17, 2018 5:43 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 17, 2018 6:51 pm  #5

Benedict's response to the question in the video Liberty posted, on its own, doesn't give me cause for alarm. He's just saying what his perspective on fans is, and I think it was reasonable. He didn't seem to be attacking anyone or trying to insinuate that his opinion was better. He just seemed to be responding in a serious way to a somewhat serious question.

The Tumblr post text extract (the video seems to not be there anymore), it does seem a bit more bristly...

Last edited by Yitzock (April 17, 2018 6:52 pm)

Clueing for looks.

April 17, 2018 6:58 pm  #6

Oh now I haven't seen that, I will need to check it out...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 17, 2018 7:34 pm  #7

I've found a link to the first video that works for me:

and I'm still confused!  He does seem genuinely unaware of the whole controversy.  He does seem to be saying (and in the other video too) that fans actually don't want them to go along with their expectations.  (And he may well be right about the majority).   In that first video, I don't think he's talking specifically about Martin ... a lot of the video covers fan expectations.

On a brighter note, while I was looking for the above video, I found this one, which is really cute!

Last edited by Liberty (April 17, 2018 9:00 pm)

April 17, 2018 7:36 pm  #8

Yeah, nice.

April 18, 2018 8:44 am  #9

I feel that something happened sometime after the airing of S3. If you remember the pre-screening moderated by Caitlin Moran or the Apple Q & A, there was this enormous lightness and fun between Martin and Benedict. There have not been any such moments since. I am not talking about Martin's unwillingness to attend the Sherlocked cons but about promo events that are part of the job. Of course I have no idea what happened, if it was between Benedict and Martin or connected with Amanda and the break-up but I definitely feel that something has been off for some years now. 

I hope that this will not turn out as a reason for the show getting no series 5. Because I do not buy the "they are so busy" stuff. They have been busy since series 1 skyrocketed. And if you look at Marvel, you can see that it is even possible to get all those mega stars in front of the camera. Some days ago, Steven said Benedict was very keen to do more Sherlock but he did not mention Martin. Could be coincidence and I hope it is. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 18, 2018 4:13 pm  #10

You mean where Caitlin made an enormous tit of herself, was devastated afterwards, Benedict visibly upset and Amanda and Martin comforting him...how could any of us forget?
But Steven also said he always vaguely assumed they would do more Sherlock at some point in the future.
I dont know.
I suspect there is more to things than we know about, but I really could not see any final rift between Benedict and Martin.
They may just be demanding about the quality of scripts...

April 18, 2018 5:25 pm  #11

Oh, yes, that was unforgettable. 

I do not think it has been a final rift but I am not the only one who feels that after S3 something was different, not just on set but also for example during Hobbit promo events. I hope very much that they will be willing and professional enough to work together in the future. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 18, 2018 5:27 pm  #12

I think a lot of that is media hype...but I could see for personal reasons where there may be a bit of tension, when deaing with a split couple...but as I say, others will know more than me.

April 18, 2018 5:34 pm  #13

Maybe it's not a rift at all, but simply getting a little frustrated with having the other's name brought up all the time!  They are co-workers on occasional projects, not best mates.   So I'm wondering if some of Benedict's reaction above is just "why should I feel the same as Martin"?  I also think he has very little to go on.  He obviously hadn't heard of Martin's comments when first asked, and in the second interview was probably referring to what he was told in the first interview. 

But who knows, maybe there's more to Amanda and Martin splitting up than we know, maybe people have taken sides or have personal feelings about it ... I suppose it's none of our business really, and all just speculation and gossip! 

April 18, 2018 5:57 pm  #14

Exactly and I'm sorry, I was trying to avoid that, for all kinds of reasons.
But there have been rumours, I know what friends of mine think and I also wonder if you have to take into consideration things like the newness of Benedict's relationship etc...but anyhow, I still find it hard to think that any of the team would have any real rift with Martin.
Certainly Steven, Sue and Una were at Martin's Labour of Love, same night as me...though it seems Mark that Amanda is particularly close to.

April 18, 2018 7:57 pm  #15

We are speculating wildly here, but I have never once thought that Ben was in any way involved in Martin and Amanda splitting up. I don't know him, of course, but I feel he is mature enough to leave out of it. 

However, I always thought it odd that Ben and Martin has never done an interview together for Sherlock. I saw them on one breakfast show many years aoo, after S1 or 2. Never anything since. (Not talking about panels with multiple people).

I still think busy is a big part of it. They have always been busy, but their fame skyrocketed after Sherlock, so they have never been busier than now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 18, 2018 8:04 pm  #16

Oh sorry if I was unclear.  I didn't mean to anyway suggest Benedict was involved with the split.  I am sure he was as distressed as anybody else...it's more a case of if he took sides. I certainly felt the whole team would have wanted to remain friends with both Amanda and Martin...
I still think the main reason for no more Sherlock is busy schedules.

April 20, 2018 9:15 am  #17

I've watched the interview now, and I have to say I am really disappointed in Benedict. He is basically throwing Martin under the bus here. 

Ben has always been very mindful of what he is saying, and he has always been very respectful and diplomatic whenever he talks about someone else and someone else's opinion, even if he disagrees with them. Which puts his statement in this interview in very sharp contrast against that.

It's a straight out criticism of Martin's reaction, in public. And I have to say, my regard for Benedict has decreased a little because of it. 

Team Hudders!

April 20, 2018 9:56 am  #18

Ben´s statements are absolutely allright with me, since he only criticises an opinion, not a man.

Also, if one person can swear, use harsh language in regads to others people and their expectations or blankly judge them as stalinists the other time - surely the other person can disagree with him, without being crucified for his own view on the matter.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 20, 2018 10:03 am  #19

Plus, I am glad to finally see a cast member of Sherlock who does not jump on the bandwagon of "my fans are sooo bad, deranged people...". Thumbs up!

April 20, 2018 10:48 am  #20

You are putting up quite a few straw men here, so I am not going to argue against them. But I understand 100% where Martin is coming from. I think some of the attitude and statements I've seen from some of the fans are straight out disgusting. 

But I had expected more from Ben, because he has always shown to be the better, more classier man in the past.

Team Hudders!

Board footera