BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2018 6:55 pm  #161

Re: These "series 4 is the last" rumours

My guess is that S4 and S5 weren't written in 2014, but they had sketched ideas, including particularly the Eurus story.   TAB was not written until they had the opportunity to do that one off episode and seized the chance to do a Victorian one that was still part of the modern canon!   As filming became more difficult to schedule, they decided to condense the sketched out S4/5 ideas into just three episodes of S4. 

I don't think there has ever been a decision to not carry on, but I do think there was a decision to leave S4 with a proper ending, just in case.  I still don't think they've decided not to do it - just that there's the possibility that it might go ahead.  Obviously, there's the difficulty in scheduling, particularly with Martin and Ben being so famous and successful.   And I wonder if it just doesn't fit so well with people's viewing habits any more too, when we're all on Netflix and so on - do they need a rethink on format, maybe?  I just don't know. 

April 11, 2018 8:09 pm  #162

My interpretetation of what they've all said is that no one has quit or said they they do not want to do this anymore. But I believe some of the actors have said that they do want a break, without having a set date for any future seasons as of now.

So with that in mind, honestly not knowing when, or if, there would be any more seasons, they wrote S4 as an ending, just in case.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 11, 2018 10:11 pm  #163

Unless Moffat and Gatiss announce that yes, Season 4 was the last, we cannot assume that it was.  It's up to them to decide, and they will surely announce it if they decide that there will be no more seasons.  That they have not made such an announcement up to this point indicates that they're at least keeping the possibility of Season 5 open.

Last edited by kgreen20 (April 11, 2018 10:12 pm)

April 12, 2018 6:43 am  #164

Liberty wrote:

I don't think there has ever been a decision to not carry on, but I do think there was a decision to leave S4 with a proper ending, just in case.  I still don't think they've decided not to do it - just that there's the possibility that it might go ahead.  Obviously, there's the difficulty in scheduling, particularly with Martin and Ben being so famous and successful.   And I wonder if it just doesn't fit so well with people's viewing habits any more too, when we're all on Netflix and so on - do they need a rethink on format, maybe?  I just don't know. 

Oh, well, this argument of their fame has been there since 2012. Every other film franchise or TV show has to do the same, this is not a unique case. I think it will be surely possible, provided everybody wants it. 
As for the format - I think that it is the very format that makes it something special. As you say, on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky, etc. everything is available at once. There is less speculation, less excitement going on and this is what the Sherlock fandom has thrived on. Therefore I do not think that this would be a reason to rethink the format. I could imagine, however, that they might do another stand-alone episode like TAB if schedules proved to be too difficult. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 12, 2018 7:05 am  #165

Personally, I like the format.  And some excellent recent shows that I've watched still release episodes weekly - Twin Peaks, Better Call Saul, etc.  Not that they have to copy other shows anyway!  But most shows do have more episodes, and I think you especially feel it with the ones that are released weekly.  I felt immersed in Twin Peaks for months, when it was on!  The two weeks of Sherlock seemed so short after such a long wait (of course, it was a much longer wait for Twin Peaks!).  Anyway, it did seem that S4 didn't get as high viewing figures - whether that was people losing interest, or preferring to watch on catch-up, I don't know.  

Another stand alone episode would be absolutely brilliant!  I do hope there's a chance of that, if they can't manage a full S5 anytime soon.

April 15, 2018 12:39 pm  #166

Me, too, and I know just what I want that standalone episode to focus on, if they can't use the next season to do so!

April 15, 2018 1:45 pm  #167

I'd happily take stand alone!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 19, 2018 7:53 pm  #168

From the BBC Radio 2 Instagram account:

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 19, 2018 7:55 pm  #169

Woohoo!

Last edited by besleybean (April 19, 2018 7:56 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 19, 2018 8:15 pm  #170

Hm, I'm sceptical. I think this is just one of Ben's blanket statemetns being made into more than it is again. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 19, 2018 8:16 pm  #171

You could be right...but there is hope.

April 23, 2018 2:24 am  #172

Unless Moffat and Gatiss announce the series's official cancellation, there's hope that it will return, and hopefully soon.  And up to this point, they have not announced that.

April 23, 2018 9:10 am  #173

Don´t they work on "Dracula" now?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 23, 2018 3:20 pm  #174

They will be soon, from what I can gather.

April 24, 2018 7:03 am  #175

besleybean wrote:

They will be soon, from what I can gather.

Was there any news about the filming yet?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 2, 2018 5:27 pm  #176

La Stampa, the second largest Italien newspaper - and a serious one as I am told - just brought an interview with Benedict where he says:

The translation has been confirmed as correct by native speakers. This is the full article:

http://www.lastampa.it/2018/04/30/spettacoli/mi-tolgo-il-costume-da-supereroe-e-divento-un-lord-eroinomane-cEFeqQfoVE8LoxxftjHdSK/amphtml/pagina.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

May 2, 2018 6:13 pm  #177

We can only hope!  This sounds like they're a lot further forward than anything else we've heard.  For Benedict to even know what stage the writing and production is at, he must be at least in contact with Moftiss, which bodes well.

There is one thing: he used the word "season", rather than "series" - we tend to say "series" in the UK, and "season" is an odd word to use for a two-week, three-episode run.  Which does make me wonder if maybe there's a slight mistake somewhere.  However, it could well be just because he works internationally these days, and I think "season" is more common outside the UK.  Or maybe he did the interview in Italian and it has been translated back to English, rather than the other way around?

Last edited by Liberty (May 2, 2018 6:56 pm)

May 2, 2018 7:02 pm  #178

Script for a new season is ready for months? Really? 
Now, that made me extremely curious about its content.... what could it possibly be after TFP? 

May 2, 2018 7:17 pm  #179

nakahara wrote:

Script for a new season is ready for months? Really? 
Now, that made me extremely curious about its content.... what could it possibly be after TFP? 

I did wonder the same for a while, thinking they had left nowhere to go, and eventually started this thread -> How would your perfect S5 look like? A lot of cool ideas came up, so I'm now more hopeful about an eventual series 5.

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

May 2, 2018 8:09 pm  #180

I actually think they've left it really open.  Although there is an ending of the Sherlock Begins era with TFP, S5 could easily be the start of the classic era.   Rosie is a slight complication, but they've always had extra non-canon characters without too much problems. 

Board footera