BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2018 12:49 pm  #1

Jazz On The Corner

Promotion of the new album is there!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgk-kZfAHgm/

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 26, 2018 1:42 pm  #2

Re: Jazz On The Corner

Wow, I am so behind, I didn't even know about this. Was he one of the guys behind picking out the songs for the compilation?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 26, 2018 2:11 pm  #3

Some more information about the origin of the compilation:

http://www.acidjazz.co.uk/martin-freeman-and-eddie-piller-present-jazz-on-the-corner/

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 26, 2018 3:21 pm  #4

Interesting concept. Although I worry about how successful it will be, considering that nowaydays you can get that tracklist on Spotify in five minutes if you want, instead of buying a CD. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 26, 2018 3:46 pm  #5

I only tend to listen to digital music these days, but vinyl is becoming much more popular and I think a jazz compilation like this would be ideal for vinyl!   That may be where they're expecting the sales?

March 26, 2018 5:46 pm  #6

Hard to say. In my family, we still buy CDs once in a while, to listen to in the car. Or I'll copy stuff to my computer from them to put on my iPod and a playlist. I do buy a good portion of my music on iTunes instead of CD, too, though. I'm sure there will be some people who will, jazz fans who like to put on CDs or records. I don't know about what's going on with jazz music sales, but I know there have been some remastered box sets of rock records out in the last couple of years that have been topping the charts for vinyl (though they were also made available digitally, without the accompanying book).
I haven't heard of a lot of those musicians, myself (though I have listened to the Jazz Messengers), so I don't know how many of them people might already have. But for someone who doesn't have everything it could be a nice thing to discover a lot of names.

I wouldn't be worried about how much it sells, though. Considering it's a compilation of their favourite stuff, it seems like it's a labour of love more than something they did to make a lot of money.

Clueing for looks.

March 29, 2018 7:17 pm  #7

March 31, 2018 6:39 pm  #8

April 1, 2018 12:33 am  #9

I do love that man.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 17, 2018 10:44 am  #10

Martin promoting some albums in an interview:

April 17, 2018 5:42 pm  #11

Some great choices, and some I have seen live or bought the albums myself back in the day!  Loved the Linton Kwesi Johnson one in particular.

April 17, 2018 5:44 pm  #12

So glad you said that.
I took my kids to see LKJ live once and I was so disappointed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 17, 2018 6:24 pm  #13

I'm sorry to hear that!  I've never seen him live, but loved him on vinyl - so sad that he is disappointing in real life!  The Clash and The Beat were the ones I'd seen live, but many years ago, so sadly can't quite remember them! 

It's funny actually, of all those albums there's only one he could have listened to as a teenager when it came out.  The rest are a little before his time (he was a young child, or not born!). 

April 17, 2018 6:27 pm  #14

Why were you disappointed?

Interesting thoughts on albums, most of which I've never heard. I think the only one that he mentioned that I've already listened to in full is Rubber Soul.

Clueing for looks.

April 17, 2018 6:53 pm  #15

Martin and I have a shared love of mod music...and Paul Weller!
Well I emembered LKJ from youth, as a radical poet...but he was actually quite dull!

Sorry I only just saw your comment about The Beat.
I saw them live too, loved them!

Last edited by besleybean (April 17, 2018 7:01 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera