BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2018 9:29 pm  #2121

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

SusiGo wrote:

And here is something for the heart:

If Equal Affection Cannot Be[/url] (31158 words) by [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/blueink3]blueink3
Chapters: 3/3
Fandom: Sherlock (TV)
Rating: Explicit
Warnings: Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings
Relationships: Sherlock Holmes/John Watson
Characters: Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, Rosamund Mary "Rosie" Watson, Mrs. Hudson (Sherlock Holmes)
Additional Tags: Family, Angst, Reunions, Nothing exists after TLD, Retirementlock, Sussex, Fluff, Sexy Times, Post-Season/Series 04, Sherlock (TV) Season/Series 04 Fix-it, Loneliness, Happy Ending
Summary: 

Sherlock fled London a couple of years after John left him in hospital with nothing but an old walking stick and a half-hearted goodbye. 

Rosie grew up thinking that Sherlock died when he committed suicide in front of her father by jumping from Barts' roof. 

So it's somewhat awkward when they run into each other in a Sussex general store between the loaves of bread and the Mars bars...

Busy these days, so I haven't been able to read as much as I would like to. But just read this one yesterday, and I absolutely loved it! The feels! Thank you so much for the rec, Susi, it was amazing. 

(I read the 487 messages one as well - hilarious! :D )

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 15, 2018 9:53 pm  #2122

Glad you liked them.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 8, 2018 10:36 am  #2123

Here is an older fic I really liked. Well written, lots of feelings but also suspense, especially towards the end. Note: Also recommended for non-shippers.

Not the King's Men[/url] (56183 words) by [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/StoneWingedAngel]StoneWingedAngel
Chapters: 25/25
Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Characters: John Watson, Sherlock Holmes, Greg Lestrade
Additional Tags: Aftermath of Torture, Swearing
Summary: 

John finds Sherlock three years after he thought he'd buried him, scared and injured; broken to such an extent he can barely recognise those trying to help him. Battling against too many unanswered questions and his own feelings, John sets out to put him back together, but never stops to consider Sherlock's return may be part of a greater punishment in store for the both of them.

Last edited by SusiGo (March 8, 2018 10:36 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 8, 2018 10:37 am  #2124

I'm taking a plane today so this rec couldn't have come at a better moment, Susi! Thank you so much!

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

March 8, 2018 10:39 am  #2125

My pleasure.  Have a good flight. 

March 8, 2018 9:20 pm  #2126

Sounds interesting. Bookmarked!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 18, 2018 6:04 pm  #2127

I've just read a rather fascinating fic which I would like to recommend. This fic caught my attention because of the original premise. 

Like the Northern Light by Minxchester

The summary reads:

"Recently returned from the war and struggling to adjust back to civilian life, John Watson is given an unexpected opportunity when he's hired as a security guard by Charles Augustus Magnussen on the recommandation of his former comrade, Sergeant Murray.

Before long, he finds himself assigned the unusual task of serving as personal bodyguard to Magnussen's reclusive husband. But not everything is at it seems in this household - and John gets a lot more than he bargained for looking after Sherlock Holmes."

A few things to be aware of: 

- The fic is marked "rape/non-con". It's not a "molested in a dungeon" kind of thing. Sherlock is in a forced marriage situation with Magnussen and so goes along with everything Magnussen says because the consequences of not doing so are worse. Why this is so is revealed throughout the story (Any chapters with such content are clearly marked from the author for those who want to read the story but skip those parts).

- The story does have elements of  the "damsel in distress" trope, and at first I was a bit annoyed with Sherlock being so passive about the whole thing, it seemed too OOC for me, and too fitting for the trope. However, as the story progresses and we learn more, his behaviour makes much more sense from a psychological standpoint. 

So if you can live with these two things, I do recommend giving the fic a go. It has an original story (for me at least. Nothing is new under the fandom sun, of cousre) with an interesting alternative meeting.

Team Hudders!

March 18, 2018 6:08 pm  #2128

Oh, this sounds interesting. The premise reminds me a bit of "At Night in the Floating World" which is one of my favourites so I will give it a go. 

March 18, 2018 8:33 pm  #2129

Oh, yes, I bookmarked that one back when you recommended it. I really should read it. Hope you enjoy this one!

Team Hudders!

March 26, 2018 1:54 pm  #2130

SusiGo wrote:

Here is an older fic I really liked. Well written, lots of feelings but also suspense, especially towards the end. Note: Also recommended for non-shippers.

Not the King's Men[/url] (56183 words) by [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/StoneWingedAngel]StoneWingedAngel
Chapters: 25/25
Characters: John Watson, Sherlock Holmes, Greg Lestrade
Additional Tags: Aftermath of Torture, Swearing
Summary: 

John finds Sherlock three years after he thought he'd buried him, scared and injured; broken to such an extent he can barely recognise those trying to help him. Battling against too many unanswered questions and his own feelings, John sets out to put him back together, but never stops to consider Sherlock's return may be part of a greater punishment in store for the both of them.

Oh yes, this one. I bookmarked it when you recommended it, but as soon as I started reading it, I remembered I had read it before. (How could I forget that opening?!). Heartwrenching, intense story.

Team Hudders!

April 10, 2018 2:12 pm  #2131

I just read a lovely new fic that I would like to recommend. It takes place after S4.

The Burning of the Leaves by blueink3

Summary:
"After the events of series 4, Major Sholto invites John and Sherlock to lunch one day. It nearly proves to be too much for their tenous relationship as the past haunts the present, putting the future that Sherlock so desperately wants at risk."

It's not as angsty as it sounds, and I found it to be a very lovely and heartwarming read, with a S4-Sherlock (which is different from S1/2-Sherlock). I haven't read many fics from after S4, so it was interesting to read a slightly different Sherlock than before. 

Team Hudders!

April 10, 2018 2:16 pm  #2132

I know this one and love it. I think I read it twice. I can only second what Vhanja said, this is lovely and heartwarming. 

April 12, 2018 5:44 pm  #2133

I read "The burning of the leaves" a while ago too and loved it as well! 

BTW SusiGo, I read "Not the King's Men" and I enjoyed it very much, even though it was so hard to read! Sherlock felt like a completely different person, which I guess was the author's intention all along. 

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

April 25, 2018 6:09 pm  #2134

Short, sweet, and funny - I hope it has not been recommended yet:

Marrying Absurd[/url] (3711 words) by [url=https://archiveofourown.org/users/JenTheSweetie]JenTheSweetie
Chapters: 1/1
Characters: Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, Rosamund Mary "Rosie" Watson, Molly Hooper, Greg Lestrade, Mrs. Hudson (Sherlock Holmes), Mycroft Holmes
Additional Tags: cavity-inducing domestic fluff, post-s4
Summary: 

“Sherlock, are you and Daddy married?” John heard Rosie say from the other room.

“No,” Sherlock said, shortly followed by, “Want to look at pictures of the inside of eyeballs?”

April 25, 2018 6:11 pm  #2135

And since I am in giving mood today - here is another one: short, funny - quite funny actually - and sweet. 

Not Exactly Location, Location, Location[/url] (2591 words) by [url=https://archiveofourown.org/users/doodle]doodle
Chapters: 1/1
Fandom: Sherlock (TV), [url=https://archiveofourown.org/tags/Sherlock%20Holmes%20*a*%20Related%20Fandoms]Sherlock Holmes & Related Fandoms[/url]
Rating: General Audiences
Characters: Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, Original Female Character
Additional Tags: Retirement, Sussex, Old Age, Bees & Beekeeping, House Hunting, Estate Agents
Summary: 

"I want to make it clear that this house is where we plan to spend the remainder of our lives. I'd rather that time was not cut short by an arthritic tumble down a flight of unwanted stairs."

Sherlock and John go house hunting for the perfect place to retire in Sussex.

April 26, 2018 1:24 pm  #2136

Nice recommedations, thanks!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 30, 2019 3:05 pm  #2137

I stumbled upon this clever written fic which presents a new take on their first meeting. A really good story and worth reading: 

The Dead Detective[/url] (37781 words) by [url=https://archiveofourown.org/users/DiscordantWords]DiscordantWords
Chapters: 9/9
Rating: Mature
Characters: John Watson, Sherlock Holmes, Sarah Sawyer, Jim Moriarty, Mary Morstan, Irene Adler (Sherlock Holmes), Lady Smallwood (Sherlock), Mycroft Holmes, Vivian Norbury, Sally Donovan, Molly Hooper
Additional Tags: Spies & Secret Agents, Alternate Universe, Alternate Universe - Different First Meeting, Post-Reichenbach, BAMF John Watson, Jumpin Jack Flash Fusion, Fandom Trumps Hate
Summary: 

John Watson has spent the last three years of his life simply going through the motions. A chance encounter with a man claiming to be a stranded spy changes everything.

June 30, 2019 9:37 pm  #2138

SusiGo wrote:

I stumbled upon this clever written fic which presents a new take on their first meeting. A really good story and worth reading: 

The Dead Detective[/url] (37781 words) by [url=https://archiveofourown.org/users/DiscordantWords]DiscordantWords
Chapters: 9/9
Rating: Mature
Characters: John Watson, Sherlock Holmes, Sarah Sawyer, Jim Moriarty, Mary Morstan, Irene Adler (Sherlock Holmes), Lady Smallwood (Sherlock), Mycroft Holmes, Vivian Norbury, Sally Donovan, Molly Hooper
Additional Tags: Spies & Secret Agents, Alternate Universe, Alternate Universe - Different First Meeting, Post-Reichenbach, BAMF John Watson, Jumpin Jack Flash Fusion, Fandom Trumps Hate
Summary: 

John Watson has spent the last three years of his life simply going through the motions. A chance encounter with a man claiming to be a stranded spy changes everything.

Thank you for recommending this fic, it sounds really promising. I am almost finished with "Carrying his morning tea" and am looking forward for reading the next good fic.

The email notification for this thread brought me back here, BTW. Feels like ages since I've been around. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 1, 2019 8:30 am  #2139

Same here. Glad to see a friendly face in one of our favourite threads again. 

July 1, 2019 8:45 am  #2140

Quite right, Susi.
When I saw the reply notification I thought, nice to see Schmiezi back!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera