BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 25, 2017 7:42 pm  #141

Re: These "series 4 is the last" rumours

I'm glad they finally admitted they killed off Moriarty too soon...mind you, there was always the danger of over using him.
Selfishly I just can't get enough Andrew Scott and I strongly suspect I'm no alone in that view.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 25, 2017 7:56 pm  #142

besleybean wrote:

I'm glad they finally admitted they killed off Moriarty too soon...mind you, there was always the danger of over using him.
Selfishly I just can't get enough Andrew Scott and I strongly suspect I'm no alone in that view.

Where did they admit that?

But, yeah, very much agree with your second line. Actually, I wasn't aware of how much I've missed him until he turned up in TFP. I was SO happy, I was surprised myself at how happy that made me, and at how much I had missed him.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 25, 2017 7:59 pm  #143

Well I'm sure as I've said ad nauseum: the whole cinema erupted with joy when he appeared and we all screamed with laughter at his scenes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 25, 2017 8:14 pm  #144

I suppose at the time, there was no guarantee of a third series, and they wanted to do those three big stories in S2.  Maybe it was the right decision at the time, to complete the Moriarty story ... and of course, they wrote before they saw how well it worked with Andrew!  I'm glad they found a way to show him again in flashback, because I'm aware that for years, we've only seen Sherlock's mind palace version. 

I love Andrew in the part, but I'm actually not as hugely enamoured of Moriarty as a character as Moftiss are ... I sometimes feel he's a bit lacking, as if his whole essence is just being Sherlock's nemesis. 

November 25, 2017 8:16 pm  #145

I actually do feel that is his whole purpose and that works for me!

December 5, 2017 5:11 pm  #146

I come back to this thread often, praying for someone to say "guess what, Moftiss announced S5 of Sherlock is confirmed". It would so make my day/month/year. Because, you know, it just makes me so ridiculously sad that it's over.

I know there's still a lot of fun to be had in fandom, fanfic, rewatches, etc, but seeing Sherlock as something in the past, that has already happened, instead of something that is still happening and full of possibilities, depresses me in a pretty silly way. I don't want the actors to grow old, I don't want to watch S4 and think "oh, look how young they were and how ridiculous the special effects seem now that we have 3D/virtual reality/teletransportation/whatever". I want them to still be alive and doing stuff while we wait for them to be back. Does anybody feel that way as well? I feel a bit ashamed to be so sad about fictional characters.

That said, I really can't imagine what kind of S5 could make me feel excited if it had to happen 2-3 years from now. Do they just solve cases without an overarching plot? That seems underwhelming after what we've seen during the first 4 seasons. Do they start another overarching plot from scratch, maybe a smaller one that only spans along one season? Again, underwhelming. Do they bring Moriarty back? Hey, I'm game for that, but I don't think it's going to happen. So even though I really, really want S5 to be a reality, I can't get excited about any imagined possibility and I can understand the writers and actors can't either.

My personal prediction is that they'll go back in ten years or so, Gilmore Girls style, maybe if both Ben and Martin go through a minor slump in their careers, maybe out of nostalgia or to capitalize on the former success of the show. Maybe then we can get excited about what happened during those ten years and that enough can give the show a last and glorious season. 

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

December 5, 2017 5:29 pm  #147

There was a piece posted on my Martin Freeman alerts today, wasn't sure if it was an old one...if I can actually copy and paste onto here:
http://www.zimbio.com/TV+News/articles/tK6mptrOJkm/Steven+Moffat+Discusses+Old+Man+Sherlock+Possible

Oh and I've just spotted it on my Benedict alerts, too!

Last edited by besleybean (December 5, 2017 5:30 pm)

December 5, 2017 7:17 pm  #148

besleybean wrote:

There was a piece posted on my Martin Freeman alerts today, wasn't sure if it was an old one...if I can actually copy and paste onto here:
http://www.zimbio.com/TV+News/articles/tK6mptrOJkm/Steven+Moffat+Discusses+Old+Man+Sherlock+Possible

Oh and I've just spotted it on my Benedict alerts, too!

"Benedict Cumberbatch (a.k.a. the hottest combination of an alien and a glass of milk)"

Yeah, for me that possibility makes a lot of sense. Or maybe it's just the way Moffat tries to avoid sending us fans into depression if he confirms that S4 will be the last one unless some kind of miracle happens.  

"It is what it is"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

December 7, 2017 2:30 am  #149

Well, if they're going to wait until Cumberbatch and Freeman are old and gray, they may as well just go ahead and announce the show's permanent cancellation, and have done with it.  No use in even planning to bring out a 5th season sometime in the future, if we'll all going to be in our rocking chairs and leaning on canes, if not dead, by the time it's ever made.

However, Moffat and Gatiss haven't announced the show's cancellation yet.  And as long as they don't, there's a chance that there will be a Season 5.

Last edited by kgreen20 (December 7, 2017 2:31 am)

December 7, 2017 7:35 am  #150

That bit made me laugh.
I mean come on, even 21 year olds can PLAY old men...if you know what I mean!

December 7, 2017 9:07 am  #151

kgreen20 wrote:

Well, if they're going to wait until Cumberbatch and Freeman are old and gray, they may as well just go ahead and announce the show's permanent cancellation, and have done with it.  No use in even planning to bring out a 5th season sometime in the future, if we'll all going to be in our rocking chairs and leaning on canes, if not dead, by the time it's ever made.

However, Moffat and Gatiss haven't announced the show's cancellation yet.  And as long as they don't, there's a chance that there will be a Season 5.

Yeah, I also think that if the only plan is to wait twenty years until B&M clear their schedules, it would be more honest to announce the cancellation, so if they are not doing that yet, maybe there's a small possibility that we will have it earlier.  

"It is what it is"

December 8, 2017 7:20 am  #152

I think Moffat is just throwing out ideas. It doesn't mean that their definite plan is to wait 30 years for a follow-up.

I do think Elemental has a point, though. Where can the show go from here? Seeing as there will probably be at least five years (maybe even more) from S4 to S5, they can't depend on prequels and flashbacks, because both Ben and Martin would be too old for that. And I do agree that they can't just go on with "the case of the week", I think both Ben and Martin would get bored really fast if they did that. And so would probably the fans.

In addition most of the major and most well-known ACD stories are now done in previous seasons. So what's left to do? But, yeah, there is another thread open now for this discussion. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 6, 2018 6:22 pm  #153

Not big news exactly, but here is a recent interview from radio times with Steven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIoXSAmWnxg

And one with Mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CZBtLmf3-c

So yeah, basically, there could be more Sherlock after Dracula.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

February 6, 2018 6:49 pm  #154

Yeah I know I instantly snippily reacted that it wasn't telling us anything new...
I admire Mark's optimism on the date.
Thing is, if it is only that time frame? Then what the heck was all the fuss about!
It's not really much longer than usual.
So I remain sceptical!

Last edited by besleybean (February 6, 2018 8:28 pm)

February 6, 2018 9:11 pm  #155

Yeah, nothing new, it's the same thing they've always said. Moftiss are focusing on Dracula and other projects. Ben and Martin are focusing on their Marvel movies and other projects. 

Team Hudders!

February 7, 2018 4:36 pm  #156

Right now, yes.  But as soon as they can, they'll all be focusing once more on Sherlock! =)

February 7, 2018 6:30 pm  #157

I am more than willing to wait.
I'd rather have everyone come back and do it when they want to and have the time than be committed to it and bored.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 7, 2018 7:00 pm  #158

Indeed.

April 11, 2018 10:22 am  #159

I just compiled some quotes by the team itself that were made between 2014 and one month before S4 aired.

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/172822121196/series-5-to-be-or-not-to-be

This does not make sense regarding the silence after S4. Even if we assume just for the sake of speculation that Mofftiss wrote 4 and 5 and then, maybe, an important actor said he did not want to continue. So they would have had to condense 4 and 5 into one single series 4 that would end the show, right? But in May 2016 Beryl Vertue talked about doing more even beyond series 5. At this point S4 was mid-filming so she as one of the producers would have known that this was the last series. And yet this is what she said.  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 11, 2018 10:54 am  #160

Thanks for compiling those, Susi

I so want to keep my hopes up. But I prefer to trust what we see on screen (where they actually put their money and reputation on) that some quotes that may or may not have been very thought through before they were said. And what I see is they wrote TFP so they had the choice to cancel the show afterwards, so it's a very distinct possibility. What made it a possibility, whatever it was, must have happened before TFP (and probably the whole S4) was written and filmed. So for me, those quotes make sense in the context of keeping the fandom "warm" for the possibility of another season, as remote or far away in time as it might be, but I wouldn't bet my money on S5 happening based on them. They are really vague.

I don't know if this made a lot of sense. It does in my head, I swear 

"It is what it is"

Board footera