BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2012 10:41 pm  #1

Life On Mars

Anyone else know this show? I think it's brilliant.

"After being involved in a car accident in 2006, DCI Sam Tyler (John Simm) wakes up to find himself in 1973, the era of 'Sweeney' type policing, Mark III Cortinas, and flared trousers."
(2006-2007)

(Of course this is about the UK version )

September 1, 2012 11:24 pm  #2

Re: Life On Mars

My friend kept watching the UK and US version alternating one weekend, thereby confusing me deeply every time I looked up from my book(s).. took me a while to figure it out!

September 2, 2012 9:45 am  #3

Oh my God, yes, I love Life On Mars. And the follow up, Ashes to Ashes, although I always thought Life On Mars was slightly better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 2, 2012 10:09 am  #4

Life On Mars and Ashes to Ashes are both wonderful series. I love Gene Hunt, even if he is a sexist pig at times. The very last episode of Ashes to Ashes is one of those a-ha moments when everything just comes together and all the stuff you thought was weird and strange suddenly makes sense and you want to re-watch the whole thing again from the first episode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

September 3, 2012 11:08 am  #5

I love this show! I actually just discovered it recently (as far as I know it was never shown here), and have still to watch the last few episodes. I can't watch too much of it at once, so I take my time going through the episodes, but so far I have loved virtually every episode I have seen. I kind of know what happens in the end, which takes away from the excitemend, but there is still a lot that I don't know, and I am hugely curious to find out.
Is Ashes to Ashes on the same level quality wise?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

September 4, 2012 8:30 pm  #6

It's a really really amazing show, indeed But also a huge MINDFUCK.
I also love the character Gene Hunt! Ray not so much, I always thought he was really unlikeable.
And of course Sam. I love it when he has his freak-outs about what's real and what isn't...
to be honest, after the last episode I still wasn't really sure what has been going on. 

Okay, I've only watched one episode of Ashes to Ashes (because it came with the Sherlock DVD, lol), but I think I might start watching it if you guys say it's also good. ;)

What confused me (about both shows)... if I would wake up in the 70s/80s, I wouldn't just start dressing myself/ wear my hair like everyone else does, because, really, fashion-wise it's not something we should go back to, in my opinion. It's hilarious how Sam just starts wearing flared slacks, for example. 

September 9, 2012 8:22 pm  #7

Oh right, I'm pretty sure that Sam just "woke up" in the 70s wearing that stuff, like purely by accident, not by choice...and then maybe there weren't any modern clothes around for him to wear. Anyway, I kind of really love his outfits anyway, especially the jacket. I bought a replica one recently for cosplays.

Ashes to Ashes is still very awesome...I miss Sam but they mention him a lot and he is pretty important to the general story arc which is revealed at the very end of the series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 13, 2012 7:06 pm  #8

Yeah, I thought it might haven been like that, but still...

Sweet, okay. I'm gonna start watching Ashes to Ashes as soon as I find the time!

What I forgot to mention: I also love Life on Mars because of the great music!

September 14, 2012 6:31 am  #9

I have finally finished the second series, and the ending was brilliantly weird, I did not expect it to go quite the way it did! I would have loved to know what actually happend to him, but I guess that is part of what makes the show great, that you can make up your own mind about what is real and what is not.
And yes, the music is a treat!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

September 14, 2012 5:22 pm  #10

hypergreenfrog wrote:

I would have loved to know what actually happend to him

You'll find out in Ashes To Ashes. 

Board footera