BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2017 1:30 pm  #121

Re: These "series 4 is the last" rumours

I have no doubt in my mind that we will eventually get more Sherlock. 
Just can't tell you when.
I will be happy whenever it happens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 3, 2017 2:46 pm  #122

I'm with you, tonnaree!  I will say this to the end. I believe in series 5 or at least a special. Until I hear 'The end' I'm having my hopes up. And I'm willing to wait, I understand the boys being busy... and there's no way I'd want Sherlock without Ben or Martin! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 3, 2017 4:41 pm  #123

There's no way they would do it without Benedict or Martin...and they both have to be ready and willing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 3, 2017 5:19 pm  #124

I did wonder some time ago (before TAB) about the idea of doing a prequel with a child or teen Sherlock, if the actors weren't available.   But of course, that was before S4 which gives us Sherlock's defining childhood background anyway (although maybe it might still be worth seeing the Carl Powers story?).   I suppose that if they couldn't get Martin or Benedict a prequel (or sequel, with much older characters) would be better than nothing.   The trouble is that so much of Sherlock's success seems to be due to those actors and their chemistry.   They would be an extremely tough act to follow. 

November 3, 2017 5:20 pm  #125

Mark and Steven have both said they wouldn't do it without Benedict or Martin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 3, 2017 6:21 pm  #126

besleybean wrote:

Mark and Steven have both said they wouldn't do it without Benedict or Martin.

I think this may be the one thing we can ALL universally agree on. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 3, 2017 7:42 pm  #127

I'm going to be a lone voice then! I wouldn't be as interested in watching, but if it really was a choice between no Sherlock at all and Sherlock without Benedict/Martin, I'd go for the latter.  The only way I could see it working was with an age difference (having Sherlock by very much younger or older than he is now).   I think it would have a very different feel with different actors.  And I think that some of the difficulty would be in having to act an elderly Benedict's Sherlock, rather than the actor being able to create her own version.   However, we've already had child flashbacks which have kind of worked ... I would be interested to see what an accomplished actor could do with the elderly version.

Of course, my dream was that they would keep doing it until Benedict and Martin were elderly themselves!  But that's possibly even more unlikely than them having a special with different actors!

November 3, 2017 10:43 pm  #128

Frankly, I am not sure this would work for the majority of fans. Many complained about S3 and even more about S4 that there was not enough of the Sherlock and John show. While I really enjoyed for example "Mr Holmes", I think most people are so attached to Benedict and Martin playing these roles, that a version completely without them would not work. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 4, 2017 8:35 am  #129

Oh I agree, Susi.  I don't think there would be much interest in it.  This is just what I personally would want.  Moftiss have taken Sherlock and John down a rather different route.  It feels as if they've only just now led into "classic" territory, but I'd be interested to see where it goes in the end. I don't want to let these particular characters go!

November 4, 2017 10:06 pm  #130

Actually, if I could decide between Sherlock with no Ben or Martin or no Sherlock at all, I would go with the latter. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 23, 2017 10:06 pm  #131

I couldn't find it on YouTube to share, but there's a recent Vanity Fair interview with Ben, concerning The Current War, mostly. In the interview, he's asked if there's a new Sherlock season coming, and he replies: "It's resting".

He actually seems a bit dismissive about the question, as if he doesn't want to go into it too much (understandbly, seeing as he is probably under a payed contract to do PR for TCW), but what he says just confirms what we've been hearing all along, I think. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

November 24, 2017 7:21 am  #132

Yes I really don't think there is any big conspiracy and this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone: the team are consistently saying there are no current plans to make anymore episodes.  But it is not because people don't want to do it, they just do not physically have the time.

November 25, 2017 1:40 am  #133

Not right now, they don't, no.  But I'm hoping that within 2 or 3 years, they will.

November 25, 2017 8:05 am  #134

I don't think it will be as soon as that.  I can't see how Benedict's schedule alone would allow for it.

November 25, 2017 11:37 am  #135

Well, as far as I know there are not that many confirmed projects: How to Stop Time will start filming in March. And then maybe "Rio" and "Gypsy Boy". And a theatre project. Should be doable in two years. To me, it seems to be more about the writers than the actors, tbh. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 25, 2017 1:09 pm  #136

Yes they both see very busy at the moment, which may appear a tad strange, with Steven departing Dr Who...
However the pertinent point remains this: as Mark said, 'This is the first time(in several years)they actually have no plans to make any Sherlock episodes.'

November 25, 2017 1:48 pm  #137

Steven said recently and quite clearly if I remember that the show was not over. 

November 25, 2017 2:00 pm  #138

Nobody wants it to be over...that doesn't really give us anything concrete!

November 25, 2017 6:02 pm  #139

I do think one thing's clear: there's a line drawn between what we've seen so far and what comes next.  The ending of S4 seemed to be the ending of an era.  It's no longer the "Sherlock Begins" story, with the shaping of the character.   The actors are in their 40s and more of a similar age to Rathbone and Bruce - I can't see them being "young" Holmes/Watson in a few years time.  

Along with having done the backstory/prequel, they've also done the major stories - clarified Sherlock's relationship with Irene Adler, killed off Moriarty, etc.  They'd be going into the classic mature Holmes era but with Moriarty already dead, which seems kind of odd. 

Not that it can't be done, of course, and I'd be more than happy to see it!  I'm just wondering if those things take some of the urgency out of "must write S5" for the writers.  They've got the "insane wish fulfilment" out of their systems?  They're not quite as drawn to the next episode now that they've finished their big arc?

Last edited by Liberty (November 25, 2017 6:03 pm)

November 25, 2017 6:36 pm  #140

I agree with Liberty that an era of the show being over so they have to start something new. And it would be different, having a middle aged Sherlock and John as per other adaptions, but with most of the major stories already done. 

I wouldn't speculate too much about Ben's schedule, though. We only know what's officially confirmed, I bet there are quite a few projects up in the air and being worked on, without a confirmed date so far. Movies, TV-movies, mini series, plays, perhaps something he wants to write/direct/produce himself... I think we only see and know the tip of the ice berg.

Team Hudders!

Board footera