BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2016 12:37 pm  #61

Re: let's discuss... dr Strange (spoilers)

It was impossible not to laugh at that scene! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 17, 2016 8:58 pm  #62

That scene was hilarious - and so unexpected in a movie like this. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 18, 2016 8:15 am  #63

This scene was magnificent as was every scene featuring the cloak!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 18, 2016 9:16 am  #64

So... what is your ranking of the most amusing scenes in dr Strange? I must say I wasn't completely convinced by the humour as shown in the trailers, especially after the experience of the last Marvel movies, which seemed gradually drained of light touch (I just re-watched Captain America - Civil war, it was terribly oh-so-serious) or with the jokes which seem forced and not really funny anymore. But in the film it really worked, mainly because it was so tongue-in-cheek and not look-at-me-now-I-am-funny kind.It is difficult to choose my top three but it could be Beyonce segment with Wong, but also Adele-Bono-Eminem introductionYou-don't know-how-to-use it-do-you during the fight with KaecilliusFirst encounter with the Ancient one 

November 18, 2016 12:23 pm  #65

The entire scene of Dr. Strange trying to borrow/stealing the books from the library was hilarious. Dialogue between him and Wong, his tricks when stealing, Wong actually listening to modern music... very funny.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 18, 2016 5:11 pm  #66

I loved that bith with the cloak seen above, the librarly jokes and of course "You have to be kidding me". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

November 18, 2016 9:13 pm  #67

The banter between Christine and Stephen had a nice humorous undercurrent too:

November 19, 2016 8:25 am  #68

Interestingly, because of the humour, all the mumbo-jumbo with the magic didn't seem as ridiculous as it could be and also it added the feel of characters being "real", instead of making them into comic relief figures (I had that feeling in Captain America Civil War with the young spiderman, who seemingly was introduced only to add some superficial funny bits).

October 29, 2017 7:20 pm  #69

Somebody at our library must like Benedict Cumberbatch - yesterday I picked up Dr. Strange from the "new DVDs" shelf.

I found the movie surprisingly enjoyable (superheroes, sorcerers and "special effects looking for a film" are not my preferred genres) - keeping it short definitely helps. And for once I regret not seeing the movie in 3D - it must be spectacular that way !

Tilda Swinton was great - and I loved that Dr. Strange's lesson "forget everything you think you know" starts with The Ancient One being a woman, when he automatically assumed it would be a man ;) I would have like to have more of her backstory - and Kaecilius's - but then the movie wouldn't have been as nicely short as it was. And the point of Dr. Strange, was, after all, to bring a new hero into the Marvel Universe.

A point against the movie is that it felt that way at times - not a movie in its own right, but another super hero introduction. I'm not againt the introduction, about the only thing that interests me in the genre is the transformation from "normal" to "superhero" - but I felt that something was missing in the movie. Though I don't know what it was - maybe a more layered villain?

It was certainly not Benedict's performance - Dr. Strange was wonderful in all scenes and the main reason I enjoyed the movie. Though I would have had more sympathy for the Doctor if the accident hadn't been his own fault (loved the Lamborghini, though... But really, if you drive such a car you should take better care of it...). And when I saw Dr. Strange in his hospital bed and later, (not) recovering, I couldn't help but wonder what film we'd get if it wasn't a superhero film, but the story of a man who has to find a new sense in life within the limitations of reality as we know it - I'd love to see that movie!

The only thing that bothered me was the raising of the collar - I mean, really????

Oh, and is somebody familiar enough with the Marvelverse to be able explain how an entity that exists in the dark dimension "outside of time" can get stuck in a "Groundhog Day" time loop? To me that seems a contradiction. One that wasn't solved after watching it a second time...

November 4, 2017 10:02 am  #70

miriel68 wrote:

.....One thing that is baffling me, is that almost every (exaggerating, but only slightly) review is reiterating the idea that "dr Strange is basically a variant of Tony Stark". ....

I wouldn't mind Dr. Strange being a variant of Tony Stark (though apart from the beard I don't see it) - after all, they come from the same publisher. I'm a lot more bothered by the similarities between Dr. Strange and Sherlock, because a) I don't see any reason for it (well, apart from getting Sherlock fangirls to join the Marvel Hero fanboys) and b) I'd really love to see Benedict Cumberbatch play somebody else for a change.

Change of topic: Is anybody else wondering what became of the driver of the car Dr. Strange bumped into? As he or she was apparently unable to call for help (or why did it take hours for the rescue team to find Dr. Strange?) I'm assuming they were dead or severely injured...

November 4, 2017 12:22 pm  #71

Thankfully I don't find Sherlock and Strange too similar...and Benedict has played plenty of different characters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 4, 2017 10:04 pm  #72

Kittyhawk - have you seen his new movie Child in Time? He plays something very different there.

Team Hudders!

November 4, 2017 10:07 pm  #73

And in Hawking, Imitation Game, when he is Assange, in Third Star, Stuart...Amazing Grace, Creation etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 4, 2017 10:15 pm  #74

12 Years A Slave...

Team Hudders!

November 5, 2017 11:45 am  #75

I haven't seen most of the tv movies, nor the smaller roles or the brand new things. I have seen Hawking, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Imitation Game, Dr. Strange and the trailer to The Fifth Estate and in all five movies BC's role is basically an arrogant genius arsehole. Which is okay for fictional Khan and Dr. Strange and possibly for Assange (judging by the guy's open letter on Wikileaks), but maybe not for Stephen Hawking (if I go by his portrayal by Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything) and Alan Turing, (judging by Hodges's book).

12 Years a Slave is indeed the one exception among the films I have seen, and I enjoyed BC's performance. But it's not a film I want to re-watch...

But as this is the Dr. Strange thread, let's get back on subject. The similarities I see between Dr. Strange and Sherlock are: Dr. Stephen Strange is the best in his field and he has no qualms about pissing off people by treating them as incompetent or useless - in other words, he is another version of the infamous Arrogant Arsehole (I love that The Ancient One doesn't take any shit from him!). He chooses to work only on cases that present an interesting challenge to him. He behaves completely irresponsibly without any regard for his safety or that of others (though this time there are consequences...)

Admittedly, the Cloak flies on Strange's shoulders with even more style than the Belstaff (the advantage of no sleeves...), but when Strange raised the collar I was torn between squeeling in delight and an "oh really?" eyeroll. 177A Bleeker Street also bears certain similarities to an address we all know...

Really, the biggest difference, apart from Dr. Strange having had a girlfriend, is that Dr. Strange has no qualms about memorizing "useless information" (like decades of pop charts) - and that's done so pointedly, and the scene has so little purpose in the movie, that I feel it's a conscious nod to Sherlock as well.

Now if I only knew if I enjoyed the movie despite or because of the similarities ;) And I still want to know what happened to the person/people in the other car...

November 5, 2017 2:55 pm  #76

Well, the similarities are hardly Ben's fault, seeing as he didn't write any of the characters. ;)

Team Hudders!

November 5, 2017 5:17 pm  #77

It's true that BC usually plays very intelligent people, although he was capable of pulling off an extremely awkward Little Charlse in AOC. But what puzzles me is the equation (beloved by critics) genius = arrogant = always the same.
BC Hawking is not arrogant, for example, IMO. He knows he is extremely gifted, but still looking for his way and needing a guidance. Redmayne's portrayal of Hawking was very sanitized (not his fault - the script) and rather two-dimensional.
Assange is plagued by his obsessions and paranoias, Touring tormented by his homosexuality, Sherlock is an asshole all right, but partly because he chooses to be such, Strange needs to be "the best" in what he is doing, Khan well, he is genetically altered, isn't he?
It is true that with his face & voice & background B. may be better suited to play intelligent and educate people rather than, let's say, a jobless usher or Italian criminal but the only time I had a deja vu watching Benedict was in some episodes of 3rd season of Sherlock - some mannerisms and voice inflections were indeed very similar to the 2nd season.

November 6, 2017 4:44 pm  #78

Vhanja wrote:

Well, the similarities are hardly Ben's fault, seeing as he didn't write any of the characters. ;) 

Where did I say or hint that I thought the similarities BC's fault? However, I do think that when Hollywood need an approx. 40 year old white male to play an arrogant genius arsehole, then BC's agent is the first person they call!

miriel68 wrote:

BC Hawking is not arrogant, for example, IMO.

....Touring tormented by his homosexuality, ....

Did you miss the scene in Hawking where he tells his prof that his formulations "are not well defined" (3/6 on Youtube)? But that wasn't even the scene that stuck in my mind, I just found it while looking for the one where he says "Your calculation is wrong" after Sir Fred Hoyle presents his new paper ("pre-viewed" by Hawking) in the Royal Society meeting (it's at the beginning of 4/6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYO3k5bos6o).

As for Turing: Are you saying a person can't be homosexual and arrogant at the same time? The first lines of the movie set the tone: "Are you paying attention? Good. If you are not listening carefully, you will miss things. Important things. I will not pause, I will not repeat myself, and you will not interrupt me. You think that because you're sitting where you are, and I am sitting where I am, that you are in control of what is about to happen. You're mistaken. I am in control, because I know things that you do not know." And then of course there's the job interview: Denniston: "...everyone thinks Enigma is unbreakable. Turing: Good. Let me try and we'll know for sure, won't we?" (I'll have quite a lot to say on TIG, but I'll finish the book first).

November 6, 2017 6:06 pm  #79

He had Asperger's, he was what he was.
I loved him.

November 7, 2017 11:24 am  #80

Looking forward to a further discussion, although it should be probably carried on in the threads dedicated to single films.
B. said in one of the intereviews that after STiD he was being offered a lot of "villains" parts and he turned them down, because they were all alike. I guess he found Sherlock - Assange - Turing different enough to be interesting to him.
In any case, Hawking is not really arrogant, IMO. His professor was wrong in his calculations and he wanted to "show off" (now, I don't know you, but isn't it a fund to show your professor they are wrong, lol?), true, but in the end it was a lesson in humility: his mentor told him quite clearly that he should invent something himself, not just find errors in the work of other people.

Board footera