BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2017 11:36 am  #21

Re: The recurring theme of suicide

The countdown was certainly long and slow enough to give her plenty of time to stop things - proof to me that Sherlock did not want to kill himself...

October 22, 2017 12:02 pm  #22

SusiGo wrote:

As for the work aspect: I beg to differ because in ASiP for example Sherlock threatening to take the pill is not necessary. He has won. He knows how the cabbie did it, there is no physical threat to Sherlock, and yet he is about to take the pill - for the fun of it? Out of curiosity? He does not seem to be sure if he chose the right pill. So, funny enough, John's shot does indeed save him from losing his life but without any interaction from the cabbie. So I would say that while Sherlock may not be strictly suicidal, he does not value his own life at all. A fact which is much later confirmed in TLD. 

"In saving my life, she conferred a value on it. It is a currency I do not know how to spend.! 

Do you mean besleybean or me? Sorry, I can't find something where somebody has disagreed on that.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

October 22, 2017 8:27 pm  #23

Sorry for not making this clear. It was a reaction to bb saying:

Just a couple of gut reactions:
1.  I think Sherlock accepts that his death may be a consequence of his work, but I don't generally think he is suicidal

To me, the pill scene is more than accepting death as a consequence of Sherlock's work. There is no need for him to take the pill. The cabbie has been found guilty. He has no real gun. So there is no actual need to go further and yet he does. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 22, 2017 8:54 pm  #24

With regards to ASIP: Sherlock just wants to prove he's right with the pill choice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 23, 2017 8:26 am  #25

Taking a potentially poisenous pill just to prove one is right is for me a sign of not valueing one's life at the very minimum. It could also be a sign of a positive death wish. Or complete idiocy... I dare say SusiGo's point of view is the most charitable one.

October 23, 2017 3:47 pm  #26

I think it shows the arrogance of Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 23, 2017 4:51 pm  #27

Yes, I think there's maybe a bit of both.  This sort of murder was designed to lure him in and fascinate him, and he was intrigued by the puzzle and wanted to win. He had to know that he was right and prove it.   It's almost like his slip-up with Norbury.  But I agree, there is also a bit of not valuing his own life, and putting himself in the way of danger. 

I kind of like the arrogant side of him, so I maybe lean more to that in my interpretation.

October 23, 2017 4:53 pm  #28

Most of the time Sherlock is correct in his arrogance, but he does have these occasional slip ups...
He is humanised over the years.

Board footera