BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2012 4:47 am  #21

Re: what happened was simple

To me, a feasible action of a kind would be that makes a viewer think (who has seen TRF only once and who is finally confronted with the then solution): " Yes, obvious."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 10, 2012 11:37 am  #22

kazza474 wrote:

His pockets were already full of packets of those crisps. That's why he needed Molly, to raid the vending machine for him.

Best Molly theory yet, lol! 
We don't just get John's perspective, we get the pavement's, too, and then there's that aerial shot of the body. Obviously the answer must be something that occurs in a gap between the p.o.v.s we are presented with, but I'm equally certain they gave us enough clues so it's possible to work it out. I also think the rubber ball is a big one, but I don't think it's the stop-the-pulse thing (his arm is somewhat outstretched and limp when John takes his pulse, doesn't look like he could be squeezing anything under his arm). Or maybe I'm just determined to drive myself mad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 10, 2012 11:51 am  #23

To be honest John hardly holds his wrist at all before his hand is pulled away so he doesn't have time to take a pulse properly anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 10, 2012 11:51 pm  #24

Davina wrote:

To be honest John hardly holds his wrist at all before his hand is pulled away so he doesn't have time to take a pulse properly anyway.

Good point. To be honest, the first time I saw it taking a pulse did not occur to me; I thought he was simply reaching for his friend, to help or comfort.

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 11, 2012 2:12 am  #25

kazza474 wrote:

NW16XE wrote:

Lupin wrote:

There's the hidden ball trick theory that Sherlock put the rubber ball under his armpit when he was on the ground. This would stop the pulse in his arm to fool John when John checks for a pulse.

Makes more sense than stuffed his pockets with them to cushion the fall.

His pockets were already full of packets of those crisps. That's why he needed Molly, to raid the vending machine for him.

Wouldn't they have made a lot of noise when he landed on them? CRUNCH!

September 11, 2012 2:22 am  #26

veecee wrote:

Wouldn't they have made a lot of noise when he landed on them? CRUNCH!

We wouldn't hear it over that darn public phone ringing, John's head rattling and some silly rubbish truck taking off down the road!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 12, 2012 9:11 am  #27

I did wonder at one point if he had just jumped, but then I figured it would be leaving way too much to chance, not something Sherlock is likely to want to do. Even if he did survive a fall like that, he would be mangled and broken up like mad.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 12, 2012 10:35 am  #28

Not something the writers would have been particularly proud of as a plan either. How did he do it? He jumped. Duh. Sorry...this doesn't work for me I'm afraid.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 13, 2012 7:36 am  #29

I always have to think of this quote in a radiotimes interview with Moffat from May.

“We’ve had our meeting, we’ve decided what we’re doing and how we’re going to approach it, and I think we’ve got a climax to the next series that will have people just as frustrated as they ever were.â€

Moffat also said that Sherlock’s faux-demise at the end of series two would likely go down as one of the most cunning in history when its method is revealed to fans. “We know what we’re doing. If Sherlock Holmes is going to fake his own death, it better be the best faked death of all time. I think it’s pretty good,† he said.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 13, 2012 6:09 pm  #30

Wholocked wrote:

I believe the solution will be fairly simple, but it won't be that he just jumped and hoped he might survive.

I have to agree. I've had patients catastrophically injured from falling off a two-story balcony. While you could survive just about any fall--I once read the story of a woman who survived her parachute not opening (until just before she hit ground)--chances are that you wouldn't, or that you'd have a head and/or spinal cord injury, not to mention some pretty serious internal injuries.

It's too big a risk, and Sherlock isn't risky; he's calculated.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 13, 2012 6:17 pm  #31

NW16XE wrote:

Davina wrote:

Good point. To be honest, the first time I saw it taking a pulse did not occur to me; I thought he was simply reaching for his friend, to help or comfort.

OH! Yes. The pulse. Someone mentioned that he could have put the ball in his armpit area to occlude his radial pulse. This is true, but an absent radial pulse isn't too difficult to fake. If you occlude the brachial artery (like if you have a blood pressure cuff on and inflated), then no more radial pulse. I'm not sure if this theory is plausible since no one will let me test it on them but I think that one of the many people near the body simply had to press down on the inside of his upper arm; John wouldn't have been in a place to see it at all.

Last edited by Banbha (September 13, 2012 6:18 pm)

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 14, 2012 3:38 am  #32

Nurse or trauma doctor?

September 14, 2012 4:31 am  #33

Nurse.

September 14, 2012 4:37 am  #34

OK you two; let's not play Doctors & nurses here.

I'll blush!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 14, 2012 5:51 am  #35

September 14, 2012 10:33 am  #36

Banbha wrote:

Nurse.

Have they realised the riding crop in the morgue is yours yet? 

September 14, 2012 11:19 am  #37

Who says we are playing? *devious Sherlock grin*

September 14, 2012 8:07 pm  #38

NW16XE wrote:

Banbha wrote:

Nurse.

Have they realised the riding crop in the morgue is yours yet? 

They sure have. *whip*

Oh, and I dated Jim from IT before Molly did. Weird fellow. Kept moving his head about like a snake whenever I'd try to talk to him.

September 14, 2012 8:14 pm  #39

kazza474 wrote:

OK you two; let's not play Doctors & nurses here.

I'll blush!

I actually am a nurse. They pay me to play that game.

Last edited by Banbha (September 14, 2012 8:14 pm)

September 14, 2012 11:30 pm  #40

Banbha wrote:

Oh, and I dated Jim from IT before Molly did. Weird fellow. Kept moving his head about like a snake whenever I'd try to talk to him.

I heard he was gay...reckon it isn't true then. Who starts these rumours? And who is that freak always hanging about the morgue? Does he work here?

Last edited by NW16XE (September 14, 2012 11:31 pm)

Board footera