BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2017 3:34 pm  #1

Gypsy Boy

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2017 4:36 pm  #2

Re: Gypsy Boy

Ah, is that what it is.
Something came up on one of the foreign fan groups I belong to and I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 8, 2017 4:42 pm  #3

This seems pretty confirmed to me. Interesting story and I would love to see Benedict as such a very different kind of character. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2017 4:47 pm  #4

Hmm...surely there must be Roma actors who would want to be in this. I'm all for seeing Benedict in a variety of roles, but I've got mixed feelings about this.

Last edited by Yitzock (September 8, 2017 4:48 pm)

Clueing for looks.

September 8, 2017 4:49 pm  #5

I don't know.
Interesting moral concept: can only gay actors play gay characters, poor actors play working roles...dunno.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 8, 2017 6:29 pm  #6

I wonder how many Roma actors there are … I saw no protests so far on Tumblr which is usually quite a good indicator (Doctor Strange, you remember).

September 8, 2017 9:40 pm  #7

Stupid head here has only just realised I have read this book!
My husband bought me it and the sequel.
I couldn't read the second one, Gypsy Boy was such a hard read.
Very interesting but brutal and does the gypsy community no favours.
Incidentally are they Roma?  I thought they were Irish.
Anyhow, I assume Benedict will play one of the multiple vile characters.
Sorry, but I find the so-called 'culture' hideous.
This boy was abused and yet seems unable to escape the clutches...

September 8, 2017 9:49 pm  #8

There are so many different groups in the various countries. In Germany we mainly have Sinti and Roma. Some years ago I translated a novel about English gypsies and research was very hard. I did find next to nothing on the Internet. They are usually very closed off societies adhering to traditions that seem impenetrable to us. This is at least my impression but I did not read the books.

September 8, 2017 9:56 pm  #9

Honestly Susi I couldn't believe it:  this guy had just given us a totally relentless tale of abuse, brutality, horror...
And claims 'but I'm proud of my culture' and I just thought..but in god's name why?  What actually is there to be proud of?
But anyway, that's me...
I see Benedict is playing the boy's father.
Complicated man but...hard.

September 8, 2017 11:19 pm  #10

I didn't mean to seem grouchy. I'm sorry. And I'm sorry if I may have used the wrong terminology without realizing it. I was just wondering about whether there was someone of that background that had been considered. Of course I have no answer to that. But it seems as thought the real person who wrote the book has no objections, so if that is the case that I have no qualms about it. People can have a certain background and not look the way one typically thinks of that (heck, I have some Lebanese background but I'm blonde and fair).

On another note...
Perhaps he is proud of the history of it and not so much the immediate environment he grew up in? Perhaps there is music, history, or stories from his culture that he is glad to be connected to by lineage? Or perhaps he is proud to have survived?

Last edited by Yitzock (September 8, 2017 11:19 pm)

Clueing for looks.

September 9, 2017 7:57 am  #11

Yitzock, no need to apologise at all. You were right and I was wrong.
Just checked Mikey's Wiki page and he is described as form the Romany community.
Irish travellers are mentioned in the book I remember, but separately.
Other people have genuine concerns about not using a Romany actor...though as Susi says, how many are there?
I guess one could use an unknown from within the community, but anyway.
Honestly, Yitzock, I think it's a bit of...Stockholm syndrome or something...
Anyhow, he obviously loves his family and his father did relent somewhat , plus Mikey has come out well from it(better than one of his bros).
But certain cultures(those born of brutality and oppression)are just not worth protecting.
I would like to ask him, what it is he is actually proud of.

September 9, 2017 12:11 pm  #12

Just a note: Mikey Walsh has posted about Benedict being cast on Twitter and he is very happy about the choice of actor. 

And I must admit, even after my research on Roma culture I do not know anything about them. The gypsy cultures in various countries differ very much from other, from their outward appearance as much as from their beliefs, traditions, and culture. And since they live very isolated, it is hard to learn about them. I will give the book a try because I would like to read about it from an insider's POV. 

September 9, 2017 12:46 pm  #13

Best of luck.
A hard read.
But you'll see the challenge for Benedict, who I am sure will be magnificent.
It will be interesting to see how they play it.

September 9, 2017 4:53 pm  #14

If you say it's a hard read, I guess I'll have to wait until we find out more about the film before I decide if I want to see it. I probably have become less upset by certain stuff over time, but there's still only so much brutality I can take, especially when it comes to explicit violence.

Clueing for looks.

September 9, 2017 6:24 pm  #15

The worst part of it for me was trying to break a young person's spirit.
That community allows no space for individuality or freedom.

September 10, 2017 9:45 am  #16

My first thought when I read the headlines was "Oh no! Is Ben taking advantage of beefing up for Dr. Strange to turn himself into an action hero?"

Then I continued reading and changed my mind. This sounds really interesting.

I do see the point about ethnicity, though. Hollywood is known for it's white-washing, and it's not a thing to be proud of for anyone. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 10, 2017 9:48 am  #17

I agree, but I feel we also have not to be over sensitive to these things. Artistic licence AND Mikey is happy.
I repeat: I can see the film being very controversial, but because of what it shows of the community.

October 4, 2017 7:28 pm  #18

Just found out about this one.  A lot of the headlines are a bit misleading.   I bet a lot of people at first will think he's playing the "gay boxer."    I can imagine people being both pleased and disgusted.

Benedict Cumberbatch to star in gay boxer biopic Gypsy Boy
Benedict Cumberbatch Set To Star In New Biopic About Gay Boxer
Benedict Cumberbatch joins biopic about gay, Romani boxer

Last edited by tonnaree (October 4, 2017 7:28 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 4, 2017 7:29 pm  #19

The father is a very difficult character.

October 6, 2017 2:16 pm  #20

tonnaree wrote:

Just found out about this one.  A lot of the headlines are a bit misleading.   I bet a lot of people at first will think he's playing the "gay boxer."    I can imagine people being both pleased and disgusted.

Benedict Cumberbatch to star in gay boxer biopic Gypsy Boy
Benedict Cumberbatch Set To Star In New Biopic About Gay Boxer
Benedict Cumberbatch joins biopic about gay, Romani boxer 

Well, if they are disgusted by the thought of Benedict playing a gay character, that's their problem and not anyone else's. And even it it were him playing the principle character instead of playing the father, it wouldn't be the first time he's played a gay person onscreen. 

Although I will admit those headlines are good examples of when trying to put too much information into a headline can cause a description of a film to seem reductive.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera