BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2017 1:52 pm  #1

Mark Gatiss - Queers (BBC Four)

You may know about the BBC's Gay Britannia programme, commemorating the partial decriminalisation of gay relationships 50 years ago. For this Mark Gatiss has produced eight short monologues. I just watched the first one, "The Man on the Platform", which has also been written and directed by Mark. It is acted by Ben Whishaw and is a wonderful and moving piece of work. Try and watch it if you can. Here is the trailer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0599tvz

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 3, 2017 2:00 pm  #2

Re: Mark Gatiss - Queers (BBC Four)

I was so looking forward to this and got completely out of touch, because of events. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 3, 2017 2:31 pm  #3

I understand. But if you wish so, you can still watch it on iPlayer. I think it will be available for 27 days and is only about 15 or 20 minutes long. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 3, 2017 2:33 pm  #4

Cheers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 4, 2017 6:15 am  #5

SusiGo wrote:

I understand. But if you wish so, you can still watch it on iPlayer. I think it will be available for 27 days and is only about 15 or 20 minutes long. 

I'm sorry, but how can I watch it ? Should I buy a membership or something like this?
I'd be very grateful for any advice. 🙏

Men should be what they seem, 
Or those that be not, would they might seem none!

August 4, 2017 7:17 am  #6

Well I was very fortunate last night.
I stayed up typing my report on HLV and managed to watch the last of these episodes at the same time, with the final 2 stories.
I really enjoyed it and thought it very good.
Who is the Alan Cumming fan on here, again?
Because I thought he was excellent, his was a very moving piece.

August 4, 2017 7:26 am  #7

DramaQueen wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I'm sorry, but how can I watch it ? Should I buy a membership or something like this?
I'd be very grateful for any advice. 🙏

I was talking to besley who lives in Britain and can therefore watch it without problems. I will PM you. 

August 5, 2017 10:03 am  #8

@SusiGo, many thanks!

Cumming is really amazing there! As always. I looooved his Rochester on  "Plunkett and Macleane" (though the real Rochester lived one century earlier).

And there is also Russel Tovey , who played Henry Knight in  our "The Hounds of Baskerville"!

Men should be what they seem, 
Or those that be not, would they might seem none!

August 5, 2017 2:12 pm  #9

Ah yes I remember seeing Russ in the trailer...so I will have to at least try and unearth his episode, too.

August 5, 2017 9:40 pm  #10

Sorry to reply to my own post.
But just to say I am right now catching up on the series.
So saw the opening episode that Mark wrote, with Ben Whishaw. Very good
Then just watched Russell's...god it was good, very moving.  Well done, Russ.

Last edited by besleybean (August 5, 2017 9:41 pm)

August 6, 2017 11:25 am  #11

I just watched the last episode with Alan Cumming. Wonderful (reminded me not a little bit of TSOT). 

August 6, 2017 11:34 am  #12

Yes I must admit I thought Alan was brilliant, but I am wondering if Russell even managed to surpass him.
I know it's all about the great writing, too.
But I was really impressed with Russell.
I've always liked him.
But really I've just always thought of him as a fairly standard actor...though maybe he was pretty decent in Banished.
He was quite good in Pride actually, but I really thought he excelled himself in Queers.

Board footera