BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2017 6:18 am  #761

Re: Recently watched movies.

Make sure to leave a link to your blog entry once you've seen the movie and written about the music, I'd love to read it.
After I saw the film I tried to find out as much as possible about the music. I actually ordered a CD with Elgar's Enigma Variations. The one that Zimmer used for the score, "Nimrod", has actually been used in other movies before. It really is a wonderful piece of music, just listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aXFH47Jbqk

And here is the version from the Dunkirk score:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5UtTotrCOs

Last edited by SolarSystem (August 3, 2017 6:19 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 3, 2017 7:48 am  #762

Thank you for the links, Solar, this is really beautiful. I will try to watch the film this weekend. 

When listening to this piece, it felt somehow familiar. And then I read that Elgar was paying homage to Beethoven's piano sonata no. 8 which he had discussed with the friend to whom Nimrod is dedicated. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 3, 2017 7:51 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 3, 2017 8:16 am  #763

SolarSystem wrote:

I totally agree.
Christopher Nolan never ceases to amaze me. I had quite high expectations and they were more than fulfilled. The atmosphere in this movie really kept me on the edge of my seat. It's a masterpiece both visually and emotionally. I had tears in my eyes more than once, probably also thanks to Hans Zimmer's score. Especially the piece which is based on Edward Elgar's "Nimrod" from his Enigma Variations is so haunting... just amazing.
I'll probably watch it again, this film really needs a big screen.

Thank you!
And thanks a lot for the YT links! 🎼🎶

You're completely right - the soundtrack is equally a masterpiece and absolutely brilliant. But also terrific. Like a needle slowly  sliding under the skin.....almost painful, almost exciting....

I could not sleep the night after watching, so I guess, this one time is enough for me yet.

Last edited by DramaQueen (August 3, 2017 8:18 am)

Men should be what they seem, 
Or those that be not, would they might seem none!

August 3, 2017 9:09 am  #764

You're welcome, DramaQueen. 

And I hope you'll like the film, Susi. I know that there have been a lot of quite negative reviews in the German press, and I completely disagree with most of it. What I found especially ridiculous were negative comments about the sound design... yes, it's loud and at times very dominating. But of course it's loud and dominating! That's what makes it feel real, at least as far as I'm concerned. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 3, 2017 9:46 am  #765

You make me really curious. Usually I'm not keen on this kind of movies (if there isn't an actor in it  I'm longing to see) but your opinions will lure me into the cinema.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 3, 2017 10:47 am  #766

SusiGo wrote:

Thank you for the links, Solar, this is really beautiful. I will try to watch the film this weekend. 

When listening to this piece, it felt somehow familiar. And then I read that Elgar was paying homage to Beethoven's piano sonata no. 8 which he had discussed with the friend to whom Nimrod is dedicated. 

Thank you for sharing this.  I've heard both these pieces of music so many times, and had no idea that one was a homage to the other!  I will listen with new ears!  Both are wonderful pieces. 

August 3, 2017 11:38 am  #767

gently69 wrote:

You make me really curious. Usually I'm not keen on this kind of movies (if there isn't an actor in it  I'm longing to see) but your opinions will lure me into the cinema.

What "kind of movies" do you mean exactly? Movies about war? Then I can assure you that this is not your typical kind of war movie. There is not much dialogue. And it's not a movie about heroism (or maybe it is, but a very different kind of heroism). No "lockere Sprüche" (casual jokes). No heroic soundtrack. Do go and see it. 

August 3, 2017 12:17 pm  #768

Yes, that's what I meant. WHEN I watch them I usually wait for them to be aired on TV.
Well, just booked tickets for next Wednesday.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 3, 2017 1:35 pm  #769

Well done. 

August 3, 2017 1:40 pm  #770

SolarSystem wrote:

gently69 wrote:

What "kind of movies" do you mean exactly? Movies about war? Then I can assure you that this is not your typical kind of war movie. There is not much dialogue. And it's not a movie about heroism (or maybe it is, but a very different kind of heroism). No "lockere Sprüche" (casual jokes). No heroic soundtrack. Do go and see it. 

Exactly! Also, all of the characters are leading , even the ones who did not speak almost the entire time onscreen.... even the crowd on the beach felt like protagonist. Incredible...💔

Men should be what they seem, 
Or those that be not, would they might seem none!

August 5, 2017 8:34 pm  #771

I am very impressed by the film. No cheap heroism, interesting narrative structure, the Elgar piece is beautiful. Kenneth Branagh, one of my old favourites. Now I am going to read up about the Dunkirk story about which I do not know very much. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 8, 2017 6:05 pm  #772

Interesting that many people didn't know or (very little) about Dunkirk. I've always wondered what would have happen if it didn't work out. 
Have you seen Ken Branaghs interview @ Late Show with Stephen Colbert . Was wonderful.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 8, 2017 6:10 pm  #773

I had a little River Phoenix film night on Sunday.
First "Stand by me" and then "My own private Idaho" I haven't watched them for at least 10 years or so.
Both so wonderful and after it I thought for a very long time how would it be if River Phoenix didn't die in 1993.
He was so pure and raw in his films.

Does anyone of you remember when he died, I mean in the sense of "where were you when XY died"

I was 13 and I'm not sure how much I was aware of him at that time.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 8, 2017 7:00 pm  #774

I was an adult and I don't remember the exact moment I heard, but I remember it happening.  It was so shocking at the time, such a young guy and so talented.  Both those films are classics.

August 9, 2017 8:43 am  #775

Ivy wrote:

I had a little River Phoenix film night on Sunday.
First "Stand by me" and then "My own private Idaho" I haven't watched them for at least 10 years or so.
Both so wonderful and after it I thought for a very long time how would it be if River Phoenix didn't die in 1993.
He was so pure and raw in his films.

Does anyone of you remember when he died, I mean in the sense of "where were you when XY died"

I was 13 and I'm not sure how much I was aware of him at that time.

I do not remember where I was but it was a shock to hear of his death. I liked "My Own Private Idaho" very much, especially since I was working on Shakespeare adaptations at the time. I still think this was a fascinating view on Henry IV. 

August 30, 2017 1:25 pm  #776

I finally got to see Dunkirk on Saturday, in IMAX. The visuals were great, but I have to agree that the soundtrack was very important to the film and I thought it was very well-done (although when the credits started and Hans Zimmer's name came up, do we really expect anything other than a good soundtrack from him?), really capturing the desperation of the soldiers with the relentless beats and repeating patterns. That was something I really liked. We're shown that people get hurt, they die, they're in constant danger and there is fighting going on, but it doesn't make a spectacle of suffering, and that was one of the things that I thought made it a good war movie.

Clueing for looks.

September 30, 2017 6:36 pm  #777

The best film I've seen in the last months is a documentary: Free to run by Pierre Morath ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Run-DVD-Pierre-Morath/dp/B01GQ26LX0/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1506795176&sr=1-1&keywords=Free+to+run ). I am not a runner, but I picked it up in the library a bit out of desperation (nothing around that interested me more), and a lot because of the French subtitle: Liberté, égalité, course à pied. In English they've changed that to: When Sporting History Meets Social Revolution.

Because once upon a time in the dark ages - before the 1970s for local events, 1984 for the olympics - women were not allowed to run marathons. Doctors thought our uterus would fall out - women had dishwashing competitions. (Seriously!)

So the subject matter is absolutely fascinating (though it's not all about women running - men who dared to just go out and run, without paying their dues to some athletics club were not well-like either). Moreover, the film is also incredibly well-made; a brilliantly edited mixture of archive material (including pictures of the 1928 olympics where women let themselves fall down after the finish line of the 800 m race which led to them being banned from such "long" races for decades) and interviews with people who were involved in the history of "free running". For once I didn't have a moment of boredom (unlike in most so-called thrillers...)

October 1, 2017 2:23 pm  #778

It sounds interesting. Admittedly, it's not a topic that I usually seek out, but that doesn't mean it can't be interesting. I can understand why the French subtitle got your attention. It's very clever.

Clueing for looks.

October 2, 2017 9:46 am  #779

I highly recommend Free to Run for its entertainment value - IMHO there's no need to be interested in running beforehand. (Though I was nearly tempted to take up running afterwards - the interviewed pioneers of running just seemed so incredibly fit and happy.) I nearly borrowed it again last week, but the libarian recommended "Parched" to me ("Saison des femmes" in French), a movie about women in a village in Northern India. Well-made movie, not boring at all, great visuals, but I found it thoroughly depressing (or maybe more infuriating?) - even though it was not the (female) director's intention to make a depressing movie (the bonus material contains an interview with her). The very end is somewhat happy, at least for the moment.

October 2, 2017 5:16 pm  #780

I get what you mean about a film inspiring you. Personally, though, I don't think anything could make me take up running. I learned from an early age that I wasn't a fan, lol.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera