BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 11, 2012 11:58 pm  #1

Wait 60 seconds between posts

Just thinking, would it be possible to remove the time limit between posts for those who get out of the "Wrong!" category? I assume it's there to prevent spammers and I would think they would be booted by the mods before they ever went over the initial category.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 12, 2012 4:55 am  #2

Re: Wait 60 seconds between posts

Dunno. Maybe the Boss can investigate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 12, 2012 7:25 am  #3

Cool. I run into it a few times when I go from thread to thread and post replies (like right now). Darn thing!

Not a huge deal, but just a thought.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 12, 2012 7:29 am  #4

You have to wait? I honestly had no idea to be honest. But yes, I can remove that.

Edit: not sure I can, the answer is not immediately obvious anyway...I'll have to look into it a bit more.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (September 12, 2012 7:34 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 12, 2012 8:52 am  #5

Not sure it's a thing about time limits. I think it's to do with traffic. I've had an occasion where I was trying to post something in a particular thread at the same time, someone else was trying to make a post in the same thread. If we both press submit at the same time, I think it will only let one post through, because when I went back to check on it, my post disappeared, at the same time, a post by someone else who had been trying to submit at the same time as me, appeared.

September 12, 2012 10:32 am  #6

I had to wait once also, there is probably a time limit to restrict spam bot postings.
Not sure if it would be a good option to give it up, unless we have a very effective spam bot protection.

Last edited by Harriet (September 12, 2012 12:17 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 12, 2012 10:39 am  #7

It will protect us from bot attacks and is very handy to have in place. It won't have any effect on 2 people posting same time.
The posts & bots we have removed thus far could very well have tried to spam & found they couldn't.
I really cannot see any need for removing it  & when we start pulling apart something that works, things start happening.

Besides, you should all be taking time to think before pushing Enter . Manners please!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 12, 2012 12:29 pm  #8

kazza474 wrote:

It will protect us from bot attacks and is very handy to have in place. It won't have any effect on 2 people posting same time.
The posts & bots we have removed thus far could very well have tried to spam & found they couldn't.
I really cannot see any need for removing it  & when we start pulling apart something that works, things start happening.

Agree, agree, agree.
Also, thank you, mods, for all the efforts you take keeping this a good place 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 12, 2012 12:37 pm  #9

Thanks, we're still waiting for "graceselfstorage12" to post hehehe; bot much?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 12, 2012 12:42 pm  #10

Must say we've had some giggles.
There was talk of guns in one thread for a while, naming different guns & suddenly we get a bot advertising them.
Then there was talk of Wedding Rat Bow and a bot starts advertising wedding dresses.

We're still waiting on the Rat exterminators and Bow Tie salesmen to come.

Please don't anyone start a thread about erectile dysfunction!!!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

September 12, 2012 10:24 pm  #11

kazza474 wrote:

Please don't anyone start a thread about erectile dysfunction!!!

Don't worry, I don't think this is a topic even among the slashers ... 

Last edited by Harriet (September 12, 2012 10:39 pm)

September 13, 2012 7:10 am  #12

And cheappairsshoeschina I've been waiting for a pair of Jimmy Choos for simple AGES! (Cue Jim Moriarty).

It is wonderful to see that our potential spammers are from all four corners of the globe. It is so heartwarming.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 13, 2012 6:53 pm  #13

Hm, yes, it actually annoys me, too. Not because I take less than 60 seconds for posting, but because I'm often on several threads at the same time and type my texts there and then kinda end up finishing and posting them all at the same time. But I think it's more than okay if it's an effective protection against spam... I mean, it's only 60 seconds.

September 13, 2012 7:11 pm  #14

Harriet wrote:

Also, thank you, mods, for all the efforts you take keeping this a good place 

YES! Thank you, mods!

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 13, 2012 7:49 pm  #15

You are welcome!

Board footera