BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2017 3:15 pm  #21

Re: Although, this season got negative headlines, it was…

I am also sure that they are humans who sometimes just have enough, and where sometimes a small drop might just be the last one that spills over the entire bucket.

Being professional does not mean you are not allowed to have emotions.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 1, 2017 3:25 pm  #22

Where did anyone say that they're not allowed to have emotions?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 1, 2017 3:35 pm  #23

It sometimes seems like that. They should tolerate everything, and never show the teeniest sign of being even a tad frustrated over it. 

Fans will hurl whatever they want at them, and when they have the smallest reaction to it, fans gasp in shock and horror over horrible they are acting towards the poor fans... 

One example is how some fans reacted after the interview where Moftiss - again - said Johnlock wouldn't happen, and showed signs of being frustrated that no matter what serious issue they were trying to discuss, it was filtered down to "Johnlock confirmed!"

Another example is how Mark is now being bashed on Tumblr by some fans for him banning anyone who writes "queerbaiting" to him on Twitter.

They are human beings, and fans can't hide behind "they are professionals" as an excuse to throw whatever they want at them and never expect any kind of reaction to it.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 1, 2017 3:39 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 1, 2017 4:45 pm  #24

Have we had some reaction?
Anyhow, obviously anyone can criticise.
But if it ever turns into an absolute rant, one may find oneself isolated on a fan site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 23, 2017 8:59 pm  #25

This seems a fitting thread.

I just rewatched season 4, I binged all three episodes in a row tonight. I hadn't watched any of them since they came out (I saw them twice when they came out and haven't watched them since). 

Having a good while not watching the episodes allowed it all time to sink in, and it allowed me time to accept it for what it was (it is what it is) and to accept whatever didn't fit my previous preconceptions or expectations, so that I could now just enjoy what was in front of me. And I enjoyed it immensely, more so now than first times around.

I ended up loving the season more than I already did first time around. I think it's absolutely amazing, and I think the development of the relationship between Sherlock and John is astounding. I felt I could see more nuances now than I did before. That was the one thing that really stood out for me - the amazing development between them. Their relationship in TFP, and the end of TLD, is far closer, far more honest and far better than it has ever been throughout the entire series, in my opinion. And it tok that extremely painful experience of Mary's death (and everything that happened before that) to get there. Fantastic writing and acting all around.

Team Hudders!

July 24, 2017 9:11 am  #26

I agree about John and Sherlock's relationship.  I thought it was beautifully developed.   I haven't done a full rewatch recently, though, but looking forward to it after reading your report! 

July 25, 2017 2:09 am  #27

I know what you mean.

July 25, 2017 8:57 pm  #28

I agree about the development in the relationship between Sherlock and John in S4.  It really was beautifully played out.  Personally, I loved the series, and apart form HLV, which I have watched so may times that I can almost recite the whole thing word for word, I thought it was the best yet.  I love the darker, tougher edge to it, which really suits the show.  Unfortunately, investigating crimes, however strange or crazy they may seem, sometimes has serious consequences, and I liked the fact that they showed that this time.

July 26, 2017 5:41 pm  #29

Well I made peace with series 4, it has grown on me, I still find the plot stupid and that sister especially in the last episode, but series 4 has fantastic scenes and is fun.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

July 27, 2017 9:15 am  #30

Ivy wrote:

Well I made peace with series 4, it has grown on me, I still find the plot stupid and that sister especially in the last episode, but series 4 has fantastic scenes and is fun.

Thanks Ivy; your post gives me hope. I feel braver and might rewatch S4 now.

July 27, 2017 3:46 pm  #31

Well, I have watched the S4 episodes four or five times at least and they do offer lots of fascinating things to analyse. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 28, 2017 1:32 am  #32

Yes, they do, don't they?

August 2, 2017 6:23 pm  #33

I don't know if the expectations I had going in to series 4 skewed my perception of it, not so much in terms of expectations of what I wanted to see plot wise but I guess just general expectations of the quality of content based on previous series.

I definitely want to have a Sherlock marathon session (might not be able to fit them all in to one day...) and watch all the episodes in order to see if that changes my opinion of series 4. On first watch of series 4 I wasn't overly impressed, except with TLD which was amazing and possibly one of my all time favourite episodes, but when I re-watched S4 a while ago it did grow on me a little, there were still things I didn't like but I appreciated episodes a bit more and enjoyed many of the character moments, plus any episode of Sherlock is better than no episode of Sherlock.

Last edited by Lis (August 2, 2017 6:24 pm)

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

Board footera