BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2017 10:08 pm  #1

Analysing the music

I would like to recommend holmesianscholar on Tumblr who is a musician and musical theorist. They have written excellent analyses of the Sherlock music. Here is a link to their latest post:

https://holmesianscholar.tumblr.com/post/162875460029/hiya-its-me-again-with-music-and-stuff

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 12, 2017 9:36 am  #2

Re: Analysing the music

Thank you, @SusiGo!

At the first sight all in all looks like "Mary is bad. Very bad." 😂

Men should be what they seem, 
Or those that be not, would they might seem none!

July 12, 2017 10:00 am  #3

Well now she's dead, very dead...
Sorry, I couldn't resist! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 12, 2017 11:54 am  #4

I think the whole idea of analysing the music is very rewarding. I remember interviews the composers in which they talked about how carefully they insert little hints and themes into the music. For example that we hear John's theme during the HLV MP when Sherlock crawls up the stairs to save John's life. 
And especially when themes are repeated in a completely different context - as with the hug scene/coffin scene - this deserves a closer look. 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 12, 2017 11:54 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 12, 2017 12:04 pm  #5

I can but agree.
I was so delighted my pal got me a ticket to the Sherlock music talk in April.
I think David and Michael are brilliant and I love hearing them talk about their work

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera