BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2017 8:55 am  #21

Re: New Dracula show for the BBC

Dracula? Wasn´t the same thing adapted pretty recently?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula_(TV_series)

What new, original material do they want to bring into such worn theme, I wonder?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 21, 2017 9:00 am  #22

nakahara wrote:

What new, original material do they want to bring into such worn theme, I wonder?

Hmm, some Bromance?..

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

June 21, 2017 9:02 am  #23

ewige wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Hmm, some Bromance?..

LOL!

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 21, 2017 9:02 am  #24

I am looking forward to seeing their idea of Dracula.

(I wonder how you can deal with the vampire theme without sex though. Go for it, Mofftiss! :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 21, 2017 9:05 am  #25

Hmmm, I bet at some stage of their story, Mina Harker will be developed into an enormously strong female character who will beat Dracula into submission and will give Van Hellsing some lessons about vampire-subduing....

Last edited by nakahara (June 21, 2017 9:06 am)

June 21, 2017 9:17 am  #26

...and there shall be a baby.

-----

June 21, 2017 9:21 am  #27

Also, during the finale, Van Hellsing will be violently punched into the face by Jonathan Harker.

June 21, 2017 9:42 am  #28

nakahara wrote:

Also, during the finale, Van Hellsing will be violently punched into the face by Jonathan Harker.

Nooo!!! It's supposed to be a spoiler-free thread!

-----

June 21, 2017 9:57 am  #29

ewige wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Nooo!!! It's supposed to be a spoiler-free thread!

Ooops, sorry!

June 21, 2017 5:37 pm  #30

I suppose that there have been loads of adaptations, so it's similar to Sherlock in that way.  And I'm sure they have their favourite adaptations which they will reference!   I think the basic idea is very open to being adapted and taken in a variety of different directions.  Sympathetic vampires seem to have been popular over the last few years, and they could try that route for instance. 

As with Sherlock, there has been a tendency to have a rather sexually appealing main character (despite him not being described that way in the book, though it's years since I read it.   Jonathan Rhys Meyers is hardly hard on the eyes, and neither was Christopher Lee, come to that.  

I suppose it might be fun and more original (not that there's anything original left) to be more retro and go for a more repulsive, evil Dracula, as in Nosferatu.   Toby Jones actually sprung to mind after watching TLD recently! 

June 21, 2017 7:59 pm  #31

Gary Oldman was not so bad either.  Toby is a fine actor but for me a Dracula should be tall, dark, and handsome. Just my personal preference. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 21, 2017 8:01 pm  #32

Another Gary fan here and I agree with you about Toby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 21, 2017 8:40 pm  #33

Mine too, but I loved Nosferatu (both versions, although it was the 1979 one that hit me at an impressionable age!), and I do think an unattractive Count might be a more interesting choice.   Toby Jones just sprung to mind because of the way he pulled off that awful mixture of charm and creepiness!    If it's going to be an eye candy version I'd prefer to look at somebody like Adam Rayner, although he might be better as Jonathan Harker, if he isn't too old now (I imagine Jonathan Harker as quite young - can't remember what age he's supposed to be).   But no point in doing dream casts until we know what way they're going with it!    I'll happily watch whatever it is.   It would even be fun to have a corny Hammer Horror version!

June 21, 2017 9:09 pm  #34

Nosferatu is amazing, both the silent film and the one with Klaus Kinski although I find Max Schreck scarier. Funny enough, his name means "scare" in German so he was a good choice.  I think it is not so much the looks but the fact that Dracula should be in some way attractive. He does not have to be traditionally handsome (although it would not be bad either). And did you watch Penny Dreadful? They had quite an interesting Dracula as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2017 7:05 am  #35

June 23, 2017 8:59 am  #36

Manic giggles!
Yep, that's what we've been thinking all along, right?

-----

June 23, 2017 4:35 pm  #37

I saw that the other day!  Got to admit it's pretty funny, hopefully in an affectionate way!

June 23, 2017 4:37 pm  #38

I'm not in the mood for it, anyhow! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 24, 2017 10:47 pm  #39

Hm, interesting news. I have to admit I don't know about Dracula, but I'm quite sure I will watch it. Looking forward to it.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

June 25, 2017 7:48 am  #40

I assume you know he's a vampire from Transylvania?!

Board footera