BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2017 3:22 pm  #1

New Dracula show for the BBC

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 20, 2017 3:31 pm  #2

Re: New Dracula show for the BBC

Oh hell yes. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 20, 2017 3:45 pm  #3

I'm not mad on Dracula, but I will watch anything these people are involved in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 20, 2017 3:49 pm  #4

This must have been what they were hinting at at Sherlocked!  It should be good fun.  I agree with the comment about having Peter Capaldi in Peter Cushing's role.  That would be wonderful! 

June 20, 2017 3:50 pm  #5

It's what they hinted at in London in April!

Actually, yes...Peter.

Last edited by besleybean (June 20, 2017 3:51 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 20, 2017 4:12 pm  #6

Ahem, ahem...

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

June 20, 2017 4:40 pm  #7

I kind of hope that it will be a contemporary setting instead of the original setting. The older setting has been done many times before. I wouldn't mind something along the lines of Only Lovers Left Alive in setting and tone. Obviously I wouldn't want them to copy its themes or storyline, but I think that could be more interesting and inventive.

Clueing for looks.

June 20, 2017 5:52 pm  #8

Yes, this sounds good. I just hope they are aware of how sexually loaded the whole vampire topic is. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 20, 2017 6:30 pm  #9

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, this sounds good. I just hope they are aware of how sexually loaded the whole vampire topic is. 

YAY Sex!!!!  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 20, 2017 6:51 pm  #10

This sounds really interesting. I've always loved the Dracula myth and all. I would definitely watch it! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 20, 2017 7:37 pm  #11

Do I really have to watch something with sex in?!

June 20, 2017 7:52 pm  #12

besleybean wrote:

Do I really have to watch something with sex in?!

Don't worry, Besley, Moftiss will deny any sexual innuendo from the get go.
*whistles*

-----

June 20, 2017 7:55 pm  #13

Here's hoping!

June 21, 2017 6:08 am  #14

Which reminds me ... I have to catch up with Poldark. 

Modern day or period, sex or no sex, I don't really mind!   For some reason I think that of Steven writing modern day and Mark leaning more towards the original setting - maybe I'm just thinking of previous works of theirs.  

June 21, 2017 6:13 am  #15

Yes, will it be a flashback/time travel type thing?!
Never seen Poldark, yet.
Incidentally, before this new show even starts: on another forum I've already got into a row with somebody about it...oh it could be someone on here, I don't know!
Specifically slagging Sherlock and saying this new show might be the same: queer baiting etc.
My wrath is  fully switched ON.

June 21, 2017 6:51 am  #16

They could at least give them a chance to write the thing first!    But seriously, I felt Moftiss were clear about their intentions for Sherlock all the way through - no queerbaiting.  I don't understand why people don't watch Doctor Who if they want to see them writing LGBT main characters.   We'll see with Dracula (if that's what it's called).   The general story idea is certainly open to LGBT characters.

June 21, 2017 7:03 am  #17

Well predictably it escalated quickly and you know really, they could at least be more original with their rants:
I'm a homophobe and a Moffat worshiper.
They are supposed to be  Benedict Cumberbatch fans: so obviously he is complicit in the queer baiting.
I would love to watch them say direct to his face about the queer baiting and I would enjoy even more, watching him destroy them over slagging his friends.

June 21, 2017 7:27 am  #18

Well, I'll reserve my (harsh ) judgement until after the pilot airs!
I just think that Moftiss wouldn't pitch a crappy idea, especially not after Sherlock. They must have something really cool in store for us and I'm looking forward to learning what it is

Last edited by ewige (June 21, 2017 7:28 am)

-----

June 21, 2017 8:20 am  #19

I agree. And I really do not like people judging before there has even been a shred of information of how they will go about adapting Dracula. However, there is one thing I keep wondering about. With Sherlock Holmes, they have about 50+ short stories and four novels as a basis. With Dracula they have one single novel that is not even overly long. Mofftiss are planning several 90 minute episodes. I am really interested in how they will go about finding enough material. 

June 21, 2017 8:30 am  #20

Eek, it is a good question!
The story will be probably very loosely based on the original... But then I wonder how it will be different from all the other vampire stories. There are MANY! So they sort of have to capitalize on the Dracula feel to stand apart. Hmm.

-----

Board footera