BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2017 4:35 pm  #5081

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

My thoughts entirely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 3, 2017 6:34 pm  #5082

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 3, 2017 6:35 pm  #5083

Exactly.
All I wanted, all I expected and they delivered.
Nice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 3, 2017 6:43 pm  #5084

nakahara wrote:

The problem with Mary, nicely defined in three short posts:

https://iamjohnlocked4life.tumblr.com/post/161368025685/bbcatemysoul-bbcatemysoul-bbcatemysoul

So true!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 3, 2017 8:43 pm  #5085

I don't really see the problem.  The questions were answered.  And I'm not sure how much further people wanted Mary to go than saving Sherlock's life.   What would have been a better "redemption arc"? 

June 3, 2017 8:45 pm  #5086

I know, I share your bemusement at the on going concern over Mary.  She's dead.

June 3, 2017 9:42 pm  #5087

I think we have reached a point of discussion where it comes down to what people like, and you cannot find an agreement there.

I am not satisfied with her so-called redemption arc, partly because she never apologised, I am not satisfied with the missing explanation of how bad she really was, and I am absolutely sure that the marriage was not a happy one.

I am not bemused by people who see it on a different way, btw. Why would I? It's a matter of taste, concerning the character and concerning the way of story telling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 3, 2017 9:49 pm  #5088

She did apologise, to Sherlock, at least, did you mean to John?

I know, but when the character is dead...

June 3, 2017 10:22 pm  #5089

Liberty wrote:

I don't really see the problem.  The questions were answered. 

Not one of them has been answered. HLV made a big deal about Mary´s dark past and then in TST, all these things were retconned as if they didn´t even existed.
Why put such things to your series, if you want these things to be forgotten next time around?

Liberty wrote:

And I'm not sure how much further people wanted Mary to go than saving Sherlock's life.   What would have been a better "redemption arc"? 

That´s exactly what this poster has been criticising. The writers didn´t explain any of the things they insinuated about Mary in HLV, nor her magical spying skills she obtained during TAB, but we should overlook all these inconsistencies, because Mary let herself be killed for Sherlock´s sake?

No, Mary´s "redemption"  is not enough to make sense of her character, however noble it may seem....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 4, 2017 7:06 am  #5090

But they did explain.  We saw what AGRA was, and it fitted with what Magnussen said.  The thing he didn't tell us, was that it was a group, rather than an individual.   I would have been frustrated too if they pretended Mary's past didn't exist, but in fact they showed in TST, and it came back to haunt her.  We know she'd worked as an agent, and had been involved with the CIA, so I don't think her spying skills needed to be explained any further.   We got most of an episode about Mary's past ... how many more episodes did people want? 

I think Schmiezi is probably right, that it comes down to what people like.  We were given explanations, and Mary did apologise.  But not everybody likes the explanations or the apologies.  I think some people wanted her to be either a better person (to have done much more to redeem herself than saving Sherlock's life, try to save John, etc.) or a much worse person (to have done some unknown terrible and unforgivable thing, and be acting against Sherlock). 

And I suppose what I'm arguing is not whether people should like it or not (that's our own business!), but whether, as people are suggesting, the idea that Mary is supposed to be a villain, that she has done something much worse than what we've already been told, is intended by the writers and actually part of the plot.    I don't think it is.

June 4, 2017 7:25 am  #5091

I'm afraid that the writers just want us to be convinced that the matter is closed.
This is the more annoying for me as we are told by ACD:

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data."

I still don't believe that I have sufficient data.
This also goes for more matters where I feel that they want us to be done with: The Fall (still!) and the fact that Sherlock by shooting Magnussen is indeed a murderer. By showing the fake version of Sherlock being officially innocent they meant us to be lulled into believing it, too. And isn't Sherlock himself by not giving a thought about this proof that there isn't a problem? Who am I then to see one?

In canon, Sherlock never murders anyone.
So it's like with the Mary case: It's difficult to walk away from the canon and find an easy, plausible way to return to it. (Reminds me somehow of a cat carelessly climbing up a tree and then not finding her way back down.)

Maybe it's just my unappropriate desire or "weakness" - according to Moriarty:

"You always want everything to be clever."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 4, 2017 7:36 am  #5092

Well the one piece of data we have is that Mary is dead and that's about as closed as you can get
Er no, they produced a cover story for Sherlock, he is a murderer...in fact an executioner..
Mark and Steven use Canon and update and embellish it, very effectively.

June 4, 2017 7:39 am  #5093

I don't have an article to hand, but Moftiss explained that they thought that Holmes killed Milverton in canon.   They thought that Watson was an unreliable narrator - obviously he was not going to expose Holmes as a murderer, so he wrote up the case with an unknown woman doing the deed at the end.   So in the Moftiss version, they just made explicit what they already thought had been implied!

Of course, our Mary is not much like the canon character, and her story is not an adaptation of the original book (although some elements are used).  But then neither is Eurus canon.  I don't think they are obliged to stick to canon, but can use it how they like.   However, I do think they've come closer to canon at the end of TFP.   The rest can follow on from there.   The non-canon elements which are a bit awkward are Eurus and Rosie (who I still suspect was originally added purely for the line about the "three"!).   But Mary is not so much of a problem: John is now the widower who will carry on having adventures with Sherlock. 

Last edited by Liberty (June 4, 2017 7:40 am)

June 4, 2017 10:13 am  #5094

I don't see it as inconsistencies or retconning, only that there are things we don't know yet. Again, I fail to see how going on a mission to save hostages can be considered bad by Magnussen standard, or make Mary scared of losing John's love. So it has to be something else.

There has to be more. They didn't only go on one mission together. She didn't get that good by doing only one job. She did this for quite a while, and AGRA did several jobs before this. And she did more jobs before AGRA (if AGRA was her freelance work). So the one job we see, is one out of many. And probably also one of the easiest to swallow, moral-wise.

Or so I see it, anyway.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 4, 2017 10:14 am  #5095

Possibly she's taken her secrets to the grave, so we will never know.

June 4, 2017 11:04 am  #5096

Oh, I agree that there were more jobs.  But I don't think it's a particular job that's the issue.   I think what maybe some people are missing, is that many people would see AGRA as bad in itself.    Most people wouldn't see it as the same as being a soldier, or even a British agent.   They were a mercenary group who were doing work which involved killing people, for money (and perhaps because they liked the work, but not for more "honorable" and easily forgivable reasons, such as for an important cause, for their country, etc.).   I think most people would see this as morally more dubious than being a CIA agent, for instance.    I think because Sherlock and John have accepted it, and because she saw it as her family (and perhaps because many people expected something worse), people have seen Mary's AGRA work as perfectly fine.  But it's not.  By most people's standards, I think it's pretty bad ... but Sherlock and John are able to see things differently, and we tend to go along with them. 

As for what other jobs she did with them, if there was something relevant to the plot or her character, we would know about it.   We're not told about anything else, so AGRA is it.  AGRA is her dodgy past, her freelance work, etc. 

Mary is scared of losing John's love over the whole thing, not just some secret which is hidden in the AGRA stick.  She makes that clear at Leinster Gardens.   Her words about the stick could have been a clue ... or could have been just what she was saying - that she didn't want to see the process of John reading the truth about her.   If it's a clue, then it's likely to be about the thing that Sherlock didn't reveal - which was that she went freelance, something that most people would disapprove of.   And that's what Magnussen sees as being particularly bad too.  And, I feel I'm going round in circles, but that's also what works, storywise.   There's no point in basing the judgment of a character or the plot on something that we're never shown. 

June 4, 2017 11:17 am  #5097

Yes, and being a mercenary who kills people for money implies that it's not always a killing that can be justified (as it can in when they were trying to save hostages). So I think she performed other jobs that were more dodgy, moral-wise.

John is a soldier. He can understand that killing can sometimes be necessary, or at least justifiable, for the greater good. He has done the same himself. It's not the knowledge of her having killed for money that she was scared of when whe said that, because he already knew that. It was the content of the stick, ie the details. How many had she killed? And for what reasons? The hostage job would be understandable for most people, but what other things has she done?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

June 4, 2017 11:26 am  #5098

I doubt we'll ever find out and personally, I can live with that.

June 4, 2017 11:55 am  #5099

Well, John didn't really know that she'd killed for money, or really anything about her past, or anything much more than that she shot Sherlock, when she gives him the stick. 

A moment later, he knew from what Sherlock said that she had been an agent (which kind of implies that she was working for a government, which you could argue might have been for her country or the greater good).   He doesn't know about the freelance work until Magnussen mentions it.  That's what's on the stick (AGRA).   And that's the morally more dodgy part - the part most people would balk at - being by choice a member of mercenary organisation who will kill for money. 

But actually, what seems to be the real sticking point is the lying.   Mary thinks John will stop loving her because she lied anyway.  As she says, there's nothing she wouldn't do to prevent that happening.  If she thought not giving him the stick could prevent it happening, then she wouldn't give him the stick.   But as she thinks it's happening anyway, and she feels so bad about lying, she gives him the option of knowing the details - but doesn't want to watch the process.   And in fact, it's the case that John seems most upset about the lying.   What Magnussen says doesn't bother him.  And when he finally finds out the truth, he's probably most bothered about her lying about the initials, and her name! 

I actually think the latter explanation is the most likely, particularly considering the timing - that she gives him it before he knows anything else.  (Mary isn't talking about something that's worse than her being an agent/assassin, because that hasn't been mentioned yet).  

June 4, 2017 4:03 pm  #5100

I agree that it seems that it's the lying is what gets to John the most, not the details of her work. However, I still can't get it to fit that the hostage mission we see is the one thing she has on the stick and the one thing she is scared he will find out.

Team Hudders!

Board footera