BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2012 6:21 pm  #1

A Grave Subject? This is something 'different'.

I've just stumbled across this site. On it you can read a memorial to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, see photographs of his gravestone and its location and there is also the opportunity, if you wish, to leave virtual flowers and a message. The messages others have left are, in themselves, worth reading.

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?=dfl&GRid=1524

This link seems to only take you to the site and the search facility on it. However if you enter Arthur for first name, Conan for middle name and Doyle for last name you get two people come up. Only one of these is a Sir and is buried in the UK. So that is elementary really isn't it.

Last edited by Davina (September 13, 2012 6:52 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 13, 2012 12:19 am  #2

Re: A Grave Subject? This is something 'different'.

I looked up Sherlocks instead.. and they all died so young! And an interesting coincidence (?) with one Sherlock Holmes being born in 1895.

How sad though that Doyle had to bury his only son at just 24 years. Lovely description of the Doyles' grave though.. 'Plot: Under an oak tree, with wife'.

Last edited by The Doctor (September 13, 2012 12:22 am)

September 13, 2012 12:31 am  #3

The Doctor wrote:

I looked up Sherlocks instead.. and they all died so young! And an interesting coincidence (?) with one Sherlock Holmes being born in 1895.

His Mum and dad were the original obsessive fans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 13, 2012 6:54 am  #4

I would think the child was certainly named after the great detective.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 15, 2012 9:26 am  #5

NW16XE wrote:

The Doctor wrote:

His Mum and dad were the original obsessive fans.

Yeah, there's 8 Sherlock Holmes's on there...can you imagine if that was your actual name?! I think I would die if I met one...would just have to adopt them. Sorry this is completly off topic, got distracted by the Sherlocks.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 15, 2012 9:31 am  #6

There are also 95 James Moriartys, and 251 John H Watsons! No Mycrofts though, aww.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 17, 2012 9:24 am  #7

Met plenty of Doyles, Moriartys, Watsons and Holmes.. one Sherlock and never a Mycroft! What about the rest of you?

*seems fair to hijack the thread -  from remembering the Dead to cherish the Living*

September 17, 2012 10:30 am  #8

I've met Holmesssss and Watsonssss but never a Moriarty or a Mycroft. If we ever get another dog I shall call him Mycroft. I like the sound of that!

Board footera