BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2012 11:06 pm  #1

Twin peaks

It's the weirdest show I have seen. It's a mix of soap and surrealism and it's surprisingly good. They only did two seasons, but they did one of the best ending, really psychedelic, strange and with a really great cliffhanger. They also have the worst intro, really. Each time the intro was playing, I was asking myself why I was watching this show. Also, I'm not a fan of the soap moments, but it worked well. Anyone else likes it ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 2, 2012 11:58 pm  #2

Re: Twin peaks

I absolutely adored this show. I either love or hate David Lynch's work.
Yes it changed dramatically from the start to the end. It was the closest thing in the end to me watching 'Sci Fi' really even though I know it wasn't Sci Fi (before I upset those fans, lol)

We had Twin Peaks parties back then; every time a new episode was on, we'd meet at someone's place & boy did we have some fun!
We also had Peaks weekends later on with Videos. There was a lot of arguing, discussion, theories flying around. Because let's face it, it's another show completely up for interpretation.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 13, 2012 8:43 pm  #3

Ah, Twin Peaks. One of my all-time favorite things ever to appear on television. When you think about it, there had been nothing before, and nothing since quite like Twin Peaks on TV. It still amazes me that there was a company/channel who picked up the show in the first place. What I love about this show, is the quirky characters, amazing music by Badalamenti, twists and turns at every corner, it's unique blend of thriller/mystery/noir/soap opera and especially one of the most interesting and cool lead character ever created, Dale Cooper. I do think the first season was better than the second and it absolutely sucks that the TV company made them reveal Laura's killer so soon. After that reveal, the show went on fumes to it's end. It was still very watchable of course, but the same thrill and excitement wasn't there anymore. The final episode is one of TV history's best, I think. Right up there with Sopranos'. I just love Twin Peaks and it's characters who are one crazier than the other. Who doesn't love the naivety of such characters as Andy and Lucy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

February 5, 2014 10:16 am  #4

Yay, I'm so glad I found this topic!!!

I was totally obsessed with Twin Peaks when it was on in the 90's. I had cast photos plastered over my bedroom wall, the board game (ate doughnuts while playing it!),books, music etc. I was passionately in lurve with Cooper too!

It is still one of my favourite TV shows of all time.

Actually, I'm very tempted to re-watch it all again now!

Poor old Dale is still stuck in the Black Lodge, poor thing. I both loved and hated Lynch for that ending!

Actually, if Sherlock had been on the case, I wonder how quickly he would have solved the murder! Quicker than Cooper I would have thought. It would also be amusing to see a)his reactions when Audrey Horn started flirting with him, and b)what words appear in his head for all the wacky characters. He'd also know instantly who was having affairs with who...ooooh I'm so tempted to write a fanfic about it now!!

February 8, 2015 2:32 am  #5

I am reviving this one year old thread. (At least).

Twin Peaks is, in my opinion, the creepiest and most awesome series that have ever aired.

When it aired in Norway for the first time, I was around 12-13 years old, emotional vulnerable and immature. I was too young too see it when I did, so it has sort of burned itself into my brain in a way like no other show has.And I saw the entire series, and it burned itself into my mind. Just the idea of the red room, the dwarf and BOB is enough to make me hyperventliate. 

I have mixed views on a new series of it. On one hand, it's Lynch and it's Twin Peaks - how can that combinaiton be anything but horribly creepy to the point of melting your brain? On the other hand, reviving and old show rarely, rarely works. 

So I'm on the fence when it comes to the new one. But the old one.... God, I can't even watch certain scenes on YouTube alone, it still scares me to pieces.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 8, 2015 2:41 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 8, 2015 7:37 am  #6

This was one of my favourite TV shows ever!  Unlike most of you, I was old enough to watch it when it was first aired (in the UK), and every episode was an occasion and the highlight of the week.   I remember once the horror when some friends turned up on the night it was on - I can't remember what we did, but I suspect my boyfriend of the time and I just made them watch it with us (we were already David Lynch fans).  I don't think I've felt that way about a TV series since (I didn't watch Sherlock when it first aired).  

It's a long time ago now, so I can't remember for sure if it really was that good!   I loved the soundtrack and have listened to that since.  It still gives me "feels". 

I have mixed feelings about a new series too, but I'll be watching it - it will be interesting to see a more mature version (with Lynch and everybody being significantly older). 

February 8, 2015 12:07 pm  #7

I personally think that Twin Peaks is a real master piece. I love David Lynch's work. I also own the Badalamenti soundtrack, both for the series and the movie. Badalamenti's music is so vital for Lynch's visions, absolutely perfect match.
So far i don't have any view on the sequel, i guess i will wait and see. It is true what Vhanja said, it really rarely works to revive an old show. Then again it is Lynch and he has hardly ever disappointed me. I also wonder if the concept was really there from the start?I mean Laura Palmer says "I will see you again in 25 years"? I would hold Lynch totally capable of having that concept in his head right from the start but maybe i give him too much credit, we will see. 

February 9, 2015 3:06 am  #8

I'm glad you found Twin Peaks!  It was/is brilliant!  I hope you know that Lynch has written a continuation!  I think it will air, on Showtime, in 2016.
The 2 seasons had some boring parts/characters, but overall it was ahead of it's time!  Lots of good jokes in it!

May 25, 2017 8:20 pm  #9

I want to bring up this thread again, now that we (after 25 years!) got season 3. My boyfriend and I watched season 1, season 2 and the two movies these few months to prepare. And I still love it as much as ever. 

We've only watched the two first episodes of S3, though, so please no spoilers yet. But, yeah, Lynch is as awesome, creepy and mysterious as ever. Love it so far!

Anyone else following this? :D

To put you in the mood - it really doesn't get much better than this:

Last edited by Vhanja (May 25, 2017 8:21 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 25, 2017 8:32 pm  #10

I'm watching and loving it!  If anything, it feels to me even more "Lynchian" than the previous two series!  And of course, it gets right into it, whereas S1 had the setup of appearing like a straight murder mystery, you just know you are on another plane of reality from the beginning in S3!  I love the long, lingering shots, and the strange humour, and of course all the callbacks to the original.

Slight spoiler if you haven't watched the first double episode, but I can't stop laughing at this (fake) leaked deleted scene!

May 25, 2017 8:52 pm  #11

I've only watched the first double episode. There are four episodes out, and I've only watched the two first ones. So not ready for spoilers yet.

But, yes, love it so far. And I love that he just delves into it immediately with no explanation. You just have to keep up. 

Yeah, it would be more Lynchian as all episodes are written by Frost & Lynch, and directed by Lynch, this time. 

I am sad to hear of Frank Silva passing, but I am "relieved" we don't get that much more of BOB. The most scary entitiy in tv history in my opinion. 

Team Hudders!

May 25, 2017 8:54 pm  #12

Yeah, that's a hiatus, huh.

Loved TP. And funnily enough it seems to me it was much longer than only two seasons. Sadly it will take a while until I can watch it.
BTW, Mark Gatiss is also a TP fan.

May 25, 2017 8:56 pm  #13

Yeah, it was two seasons (with second season being much longer than the first one) and two-ish movies.

Yay for Mark being a TP-fan!

Team Hudders!

May 27, 2017 2:51 am  #14

Finally!  "Helloooo!", lol!
I'm enjoying the new series.  I think Fire Walk With Me is my fave Lynch film, & Twin Peaks is my fave work of his.
Bob was my fave character!  RIP Frank!  I'm not sure why.  Maybe cuz he was a part of the set crew & fell into the role by accident.  Maybe the mystery of what he was.  Recently some TP convention interviews have appeared on You Tube, some in depth questions answered by Frank & he was a sweet guy (once you hear him talking).  
That's really cool that Mark is a fan!  

September 16, 2017 7:00 am  #15

So what did you all think?  No spoilers:  I thought this was the best series yet.  TV as an experience, once again!  Especially Episode 8!  One thing that was interesting to me as a now older person was that the cast had aged with me.  Apparently the average age of the main cast was 61.  I think that's quite unusual.  Anyway, I needn't have worried about a follow-up not being as good as the originals.  Those beautiful, thoughtful shots, the amazing soundtrack, TV as art ... I don't think I've seen anything else quite like this on TV, yet again.  Let's hope for a fourth series. 

I'm sorry to hear that Harry Dean Stanton died yesterday.  Quite a few of the cast didn't make it this far.

Last edited by Liberty (September 16, 2017 7:03 am)

September 16, 2017 7:40 am  #16

I loved the original show and the films.
Still not caught up with this re-boot, but heard so many good things about it.
Love Lynch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 16, 2017 8:19 am  #17

This new series (and it's not a reboot, but another season, besley ) confused me. I quite liked it, although there were a thing or two I would have preferred if it was different.

But my main feeling after having watched it is that I am very, very confused. And very, very intrigued. Which means that Lynch did it again.

Team Hudders!

September 16, 2017 8:20 am  #18

Well ok...but 30+ years after the original!
Maybe Sherlock will be the same...ha!

Last edited by besleybean (September 16, 2017 8:21 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 16, 2017 12:58 pm  #19

Yes, I suppose it bodes well for Sherlock that this can be done, after such a huge gap.

Yes, I found it confusing too, and have been going over various ways of looking at the ending(s) in my head.

I'm hopefully going to see the film about David Lynch which is out soon (David Lynch:The Art Life).  I don't think it will make Twin Peaks any less confusing, though!  And maybe it's time to rewatch some old favourites and to catch up on his work that I've missed. 

Board footera