BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2017 10:29 pm  #1

King Charles III

It's the filmed version of a play of the same title. It's about what might happen if Queen Elizabeth II dies and Charles becomes King a few years in the future. The royal family (Charles, Camilla, Harry, William, Kate, George, Charlotte) are characters, along with the Prime Minister (Evans, unless I'm unaware, he's fictional). It's also written like a Shakespearean play, so the language of it is great. It's still contemporary, and I would say it's easier to understand than a Shakespearean play (there's still turns of phrase that we use today), but it's more eloquent because of the iambic pentametre. In Shakesperean fashion, there are soliloquies and even a ghost who appears and speaks to a couple of the characters (Diana).
The story starts with the Queen's funeral and a subsequent audience between the King and the Prime Minister. The PM is asking for royal assent for a law that would control the freedom of the press, which the King opposes and refuses to sign. The tension between the PM and the King's views on the law, and whether the King should have to sign even if he disagrees, propels the rest of the plot.

Have any of you all watched this film?

Clueing for looks.

May 22, 2017 6:07 am  #2

Re: King Charles III

Glad you enjoyed it.
Other nations can enjoythe fantasy of this scenario.
For me here in Scotland, it is a stark reality and makes me both angry and frustrated.
I can't believe in the 21st century we are still saddled with an archaic monarchy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 22, 2017 4:00 pm  #3

I think the film discusses that issue. It's not just a fantasy. It was exciting but I don't think it was escapist. It's done in a Shakesperean style, but I think that works well with the questions is asking about what direction things could go in the future. There's a symbolic value to Elizabeth II's future death. I found the film political. We see the Prime Minster and parliament, protests, and what the monarchy have to say. There is criticism of how people's taxes pay for things for the royal family, among other things. We see various responses. The royal family are the principal characters because that follows the tradition of many of Shakespeare's plays but also because their position and their value to society is in crisis.

Elizabeth II is our monarch in Canada, too, and is on our currency (and today happens to be Victoria Day, which is a national holiday here), though obviously proximity makes a difference and is not exactly the same as where you live.

I'm still not sure where I stand on the issue of there still being a monarchy. I understand both sides of the argument, but I'm still not sure exactly where I stand.

Last edited by Yitzock (May 22, 2017 4:00 pm)

Clueing for looks.

May 22, 2017 6:14 pm  #4

Sorry, I meant fantasy as in other people not having to suffer royalty...I think you know where I stand!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 22, 2017 8:37 pm  #5

Yes, I do! I know what you mean, now.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera