BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 26, 2012 7:43 am  #21

Re: scenes cut from U.S. TRF

They cut most of my favorite scenes pfff It's like they made sure to cut all of the tiny bits that made the show a step above. But that's okay because let's be honest; How many people actually waited to watch it on PBS?

Last edited by VivaCohen (June 26, 2012 7:43 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn!" - Jack Kerouac

June 26, 2012 11:54 pm  #22

VivaCohen wrote:

But that's okay because let's be honest; How many people actually waited to watch it on PBS?

I watched it on PBS' website--streamed the episodes--because I was not aware of Sherlock until I read in The New York Times about the premiere of Season 2 in the US.  I suspect lots of people first watched it on PBS and it if appealed to them, found ways to watch the uncut episodes elsewhere.

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (June 26, 2012 11:54 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 27, 2012 12:07 am  #23

I am a huge supporter of PBS. They do wonderful things. It's true they've had to resort to giving their underwriters (not "sponsors," but what's the difference?) more air time, but they generally keep it at the beginning or end of a program and don't interrupt the program itself.
I watched both seasons first on PBS, then bought the DVDs. I have to figure out how to see season 3 before it hits PBS -- not so much because of deleted scenes, but because I don't think I can wait that long. Also, I don't want to have to worry about spoilers on the forum.
When is it due to air in the UK? I heard it won't even resume filming till early next year!

June 27, 2012 11:14 am  #24

No date for airing here in the UK. Filming starts early next year. Argghhh! So long to wait!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 27, 2012 11:19 am  #25

veecee wrote:

I am a huge supporter of PBS. They do wonderful things. It's true they've had to resort to giving their underwriters (not "sponsors," but what's the difference?) more air time, but they generally keep it at the beginning or end of a program and don't interrupt the program itself.
I watched both seasons first on PBS, then bought the DVDs. I have to figure out how to see season 3 before it hits PBS -- not so much because of deleted scenes, but because I don't think I can wait that long. Also, I don't want to have to worry about spoilers on the forum.
When is it due to air in the UK? I heard it won't even resume filming till early next year!

I love and support PBS too. They are a tiny oasis surrounded by a vast desert.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 27, 2012 11:10 pm  #26

I'm hating the posts about Sherlock's emotions just being acting and saddened by Modfat's statement in the PBS interview!  I WANT Sherlock to have feelings for his few friends -- to a point.  I don't want him to feel like nobody cares for him.  But then, I'm not a Canonized fan so I don't really KNOW Sherlock.  Yet. 

I'll have to look for that interview because I probably need to read it to get my head in the right place.

Thanks so much for this, jenosborn!

June 28, 2012 12:48 am  #27

In canon he gets there eventually... but it's very deep into his friendship with John when he finally shows any strong attachment. I forget which thread, but the quote is in one of the threads on this forum as well, or you can read the canon story here: http://sherlockholmes_cases.tripod.com/threegar.htm

All the more touching because of how long it takes to get there, I think.

June 28, 2012 2:13 am  #28

Well, those cuts explain to me why, when I watched TRF for the first time, the second scene with John and Mycroft at the Diogenes club when by without a ripple.  The next time I watched it was on the BBC DVD and the emotional impact of that scene floored me.

Yep, I think they definitely lost something with the cuts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

September 10, 2012 1:06 pm  #29

Wow...I can't imagine how ANY cuts could be made to TRF. Also, I happen to love the chewing gum scene.

I can't imagine why "hell" was omitted. I watched the BBC version and I don't even know when Masterpiece is on--if it isn't primetime, then I guess I understand it. Or maybe it's because it's PBS, I don't know. In any case, I hear stronger words on network TV all the time.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 10, 2012 11:45 pm  #30

For the Americans, Netflix has series one without the PBS cuts and iTunes has both series with no cuts, as well as interviews and other little extras.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 11, 2012 2:17 am  #31

And, of course, you can buy the DVDs with no cuts from Barnes & Noble or elsewhere.

September 12, 2012 1:33 am  #32

That's really interesting to know about the cuts.  I hate that they cut some parts of Molly's scenes.  I loved those!  I watched the episodes on DVD and Netflix so I never saw the PBS version but I imagine when season 3 comes out I'll have to watch it on PBS unless I find a way to get it in the US sooner.

September 12, 2012 1:50 am  #33

I'm told there are ways...

September 12, 2012 7:13 pm  #34

Teeeeeeveeeee links. TV Links. Or Sidereel. Generally, TV Links has more BBC and ITV stuff. There are probably other sources but a) I don't like to download (my cable company seems to employ Big Brother) and b) those sites work fine for me, so I haven't looked around.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 12, 2012 7:16 pm  #35

VivaCohen wrote:

They cut most of my favorite scenes pfff It's like they made sure to cut all of the tiny bits that made the show a step above. But that's okay because let's be honest; How many people actually waited to watch it on PBS?

LOL, I didn't even know it was on PBS until I came to this site. Oops. And I don't watch Downton Abbey or Doctor Who on PBS either. It's a great station, but I tend to lump all of my TV viewing in one night and I don't have DVR.

Board footera