BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2012 2:02 am  #81

Re: MEMBERS POLL: What's your age?

You were born on a dancefloor? Must've been some kinda dance!

September 12, 2012 4:35 pm  #82

veecee wrote:

You were born on a dancefloor? Must've been some kinda dance!

Yeah it was a mix of funky style with a Brian De Palma atmosphere. You know... the 70's : everything was crazy at this time lol 

Last edited by TicTacToe (September 12, 2012 4:35 pm)

September 12, 2012 7:09 pm  #83

^^Night Fever by the Bee Gees was #1 on the day I was born.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 13, 2012 1:20 am  #84

Banbha wrote:

You all are such babies! Try Bing Crosby, Doris Day and Frank Sinatra for the year I was born! Ye gods.... am I OLD!! lol

September 13, 2012 3:23 am  #85

ancientsgate wrote:

... Bing Crosby, Doris Day and Frank Sinatra ....

Thank you!!!  Singers I've actually heard of!!!

(Oh, OK, so I've heard of the Bee Gees.  And Blondie.)

September 13, 2012 1:35 pm  #86

The day I was born Sam Cooke was number 1 in the US with You Send Me and Harry Belafonte was number 1 in the UK with Mary's Boy Child. So yes...I am really old enough to know better! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 13, 2012 8:23 pm  #87

ancientsgate wrote:

Banbha wrote:

You all are such babies! Try Bing Crosby, Doris Day and Frank Sinatra for the year I was born! Ye gods.... am I OLD!! lol

HA...I've had a lot of trainees this summer who are in their very early 20's. I was speaking to one about the new 21 Jump Street movie, and how I didn't want to see it because I liked the original TV show too much. She looked at me like I'd grown another head on my shoulders and said (disdainfully), "Um, it wasn't a show. It's a movie." Au contraire, mon petit chou!

She didn't believe me until I finally Googled it. *sigh*

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 13, 2012 9:57 pm  #88

Funny, Banbha!

OK, I've got one too.  This happened quite a while back, but some of you more mature Americans will appreciate it.  My (young) officemate stopped by my apartment one evening while I was watching an old television show on cable.  He recognized one of the voices and asked in some surprise, "Is that George Burns?"  I replied, yes, in fact it was the The Burns and Allen Show.  To which he responded, "Oh, I didn't know that George Burns and Fred Allen had a television show!"

I was flabbergasted that he'd heard of radio comedian Fred Allen -- but not of Burns's wife and partner, Gracie Allen!

Davina wrote:

The day I was born Sam Cooke was number 1 in the US with You Send Me and Harry Belafonte was number 1 in the UK with Mary's Boy Child. So yes...I am really old enough to know better!

Sam Cooke and Harry Belafonte -- what gorgeous voices!

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (September 13, 2012 11:37 pm)

September 13, 2012 11:04 pm  #89

Even I know who Burns and Allen were! "Say goodnight, Gracie."

September 14, 2012 6:43 pm  #90

Huh, so interesting how the poll changes!
Now we seem to have much more youngies than before.

How can she not have heard of 21 Jump Street? Please, Johnny Depp!

September 14, 2012 7:49 pm  #91

I know, right?

September 14, 2012 8:09 pm  #92

Or it that? Johnny Depp, please!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 14, 2012 8:19 pm  #93

I prefer the Pirates of the Caribbean and Chocolat Johnny the the 21 Jump Street version. What can I say, I like my men roguish or intelligent, intense, and...eccentric. Yeah, that's what we'll call Moriarty: eccentric.

September 14, 2012 10:19 pm  #94

Moriarty is "eccentric"? Well, understatement of the year!

I just realized Johnny Depp might have been my first obsession... 

September 16, 2012 12:45 pm  #95

Sammy wrote:

Moriarty is "eccentric"? Well, understatement of the year!

Totally. But I can't say that I like my men psychopathic...er, right?

So what other ages are around this place?

September 18, 2012 2:31 am  #96

There's a poll on the first page of this thread -- so you can report your own age (anonymously!) and then see the statistics so far.

September 18, 2012 1:04 pm  #97

I was mainly just striking up conversation.

January 8, 2013 2:34 pm  #98

Uh, I am sixteen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 21, 2013 3:17 pm  #99

I am 21.
I am happy to see that most of the people here are my age or even older, it shows me that I am not strange or childish for being obsessed with a tv show.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 21, 2013 9:05 pm  #100

Lily wrote:

I am 21.
I am happy to see that most of the people here are my age or even older, it shows me that I am not strange or childish for being obsessed with a tv show.

Um, I'm 63. What does age have to do with anything? I gave up trying not to be strange ages (decades!) ago!

Board footera