BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2017 3:59 pm  #661

Re: The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses (was "Richard III")

Alright!

Clueing for looks.

May 14, 2017 8:49 pm  #662

I really cannot believe it, this is getting ridiculous. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 14, 2017 8:51 pm  #663

Such a hard category and the poor boy looks worn out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 14, 2017 8:59 pm  #664

No one can tell me that he was not good enough seven times out of seven. And the first part of HC was given the awards for best leading actor AND best supporting actor. I am no conspiracy theorist but I feel that he simply cannot win in this organisation. 

And he went there although he had had four hours sleep in two days. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 14, 2017 9:07 pm  #665

SusiGo wrote:

I really cannot believe it, this is getting ridiculous. 

That's been my reaction too.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

May 14, 2017 11:06 pm  #666

What the hell does Ben have to do to impress these people!?!?!?!?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 15, 2017 5:49 am  #667

This is getting ridiculous! I'm not saying those who won didn't deserve it but after more than 5 nominations without winning I'm starting to wonder if that pure coincidence... We all know what Mycroft says about coincidence. ;)

Benedict's performance in The Hollow Crown was outstanding.

Anyway, it was still an interesting experience to attend the event, and although I didn't wait at the red carpet (ticket holders had to enter the venue before the celebrities arrived) I saw him from a nice viewing spot on the balcony high above and managed to get a few pictures - mostly from behind but I didn't mind the view. :D

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

May 15, 2017 9:50 am  #668

Sorry you didn't get to the red carpet, but lucky you for being there with him, and getting pics, Diva!

And sorry to Ben for not winning, again. WTF! He really deserved it 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 15, 2017 7:08 pm  #669

I am not doing Benedict down.
But there is so much talent...and possibly we are a bit biased?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 15, 2017 7:44 pm  #670

Well, of course we are a bit biased in a sense that we want him to win.
But... 7 nominations and no wins are really quite a lot. And let's say it: there were people who won for far less impressive performances than his.
IMO
he should have won for
Hawking
Sherlock 1 or 2
Parade's End
Imitation Game
Richard III

But he wasn't even nominated for Parade's End, lol.

May 15, 2017 7:46 pm  #671

I agree with all of those...it is as it is.

May 16, 2017 3:29 pm  #672

People thought Leonardo DiCaprio should have received an Oscar a long time ago until he actually received one. I don't think he's particularly exceptional so I don't see the big deal. I think Benedict is more deserving of any award (including BAFTA). But with all the talent in the category, plus our feeling that he should have gotten an award long ago...I don't know how good or bad the chances were of him winning this time. But I'm sure he feels honoured to be placed in the same group of nominees as the other actors who were up for the award. I think his time will come. Mark Rylance didn't win an Oscar until he was 56. I don't know whether it will take that long for Benedict to win a BAFTA, but with everything he does and his skill, I'm sure he'll eventually be recognized. At least, it's not impossible.

Last edited by Yitzock (May 16, 2017 3:31 pm)

Clueing for looks.

May 16, 2017 3:48 pm  #673

Quite so.

May 17, 2017 11:08 am  #674

Yitzock wrote:

I think his time will come. Mark Rylance didn't win an Oscar until he was 56. I don't know whether it will take that long for Benedict to win a BAFTA, but with everything he does and his skill, I'm sure he'll eventually be recognized. At least, it's not impossible.

Lol, I am not sure Benedict will feel fully gratified if he eventually will be awarded Bafta at 56. Of course, there are many talented poeple in the business and of course there is also a factor of being lucky or not: in some years there are many excellent films released in some others there are just few worth of notice. 
Anyhow, there is something wrong about B. not being awarded Bafta for Sherlock, especially with everyone else being awarded and recognized.
And it doesn't feel completely fair that Tom Hiddlestone should get Golden Globe for a rather bland role in a very bland series Night Manager, while B. had lost virtually every award he was nominated for The Imitation Game. for example.

May 17, 2017 3:38 pm  #675

I don't resent Tom's award at all.
I do think they have to work extra hard for Shakespeare...

May 17, 2017 5:05 pm  #676

I don't resent it, either. but the series was really very disappointing, apart from fantastic opening titles.

Ben Winshaw did get Bafta for his Richard II, but while his interpretation was excellent, it was less complex than Benedict's Richard growing up from adolescent to the monster and the production itself was, IMO, less inspired.

May 17, 2017 5:08 pm  #677

I think Ben W was more original then our Benedict.
Other versions(I won't mention!)have copied Ben W, as far as I'm concerned.

May 17, 2017 8:57 pm  #678

I think it would be unfair to compare these parts which are very different. But I think that they are equal in quality. And there is another thing - Benedict's ratio of nominations vs actual wins is extremely poor. It seems he cannot be ignored (although even this happens as with PE at the Baftas) but many juries seem reluctant to actually give an award to him. 

May 18, 2017 4:16 am  #679

It was only minutes after it was clear that Richard III. wasn't awarded with a Bafta that KeepersPrice and I were on the tube. With the blurry king and a "NO" I found this photo very telling...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 18, 2017 7:05 am  #680

This is perfect! 

Board footera