BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2016 10:23 am  #21

Re: Sherlock Related Books

I was pretty sure the author was a BBC Sherlock fan, but this is confirmation

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 6, 2017 12:01 pm  #22

I love works by Sir Arthur, so I was very careful about non-canon reading and started (after some research) with "The Seven -Per-Cent Solution" by  Nicholas Meyer (1974).
It’s really good story,  very well written by Dr. Watson "himself". Highly recommended. 👏

Then I enjoyed  "The Vesuvius Club" by Mark Gatiss (2004).  Deliciously macabre, witty and yes, there are some certain similarities with the hero of  the future  BBC subject. 😉

Some time ago I managed to read also  "The Adventure of the Bloody Tower" by  Donald MacLachlan  (2013).
An intersting story about Dr. Watson at the beginning of his friendship with Sherlock Holmes, making his own research to the complicated case of King Richard III. 👑

Last edited by DramaQueen (May 6, 2017 12:03 pm)

Men should be what they seem, 
Or those that be not, would they might seem none!

May 6, 2017 12:03 pm  #23

I love Mark's books.
I've never fancied The Seven per cent Solution, partly cos I can't stand the ending of the film. But I do remember being told that the book is better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 6, 2017 12:12 pm  #24

The movie is by far not good enough, so I wouldn’t recommend to watch it. The book is amazing!

I in particular  don’t like the idee of showing young attractive heroes at about forty years of age as old and ugly men. 😜

May 6, 2017 12:14 pm  #25

I don't mind that part at all, it's (SPOILER ALERT!) Sherlock going off with The Woman, I just couldn't stomach!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 6, 2017 12:24 pm  #26

I'm very sorry, but THIS was NOT in the book at all!

I loved the end because (spoiler warning) Holmes is going alone to Italy to take some distance of his "usual" life and telling Watson, he may observe his future "where-abouts" just by following the concert carreer of a violinist named Sigerson. 😍

Last edited by DramaQueen (May 6, 2017 12:27 pm)

May 6, 2017 12:25 pm  #27

Exactly and how dare they change the end of the book?!

May 6, 2017 12:29 pm  #28

Well....it called "artistic licence" I guess. )))

May 6, 2017 12:30 pm  #29

Indeed.

Board footera