BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 16, 2016 5:33 pm  #1

How has Sherlock impacted your life?

I’m involved in a Sherlock-themed project and I want to know from fans: how has Sherlock impacted your life? Has it helped in a pivotal moment? Has it changed the way you see things? How was your experience as a Sherlock fan?

April 28, 2017 9:31 am  #2

Re: How has Sherlock impacted your life?

I wanna be a detective 

April 28, 2017 3:26 pm  #3

Well, if you look at this forum, being interested in this show and discussing it with other people as brought me enjoyment in my life. 
I also find that the show addresses friendship in a complex way that I find fulfilling and reflects experiences. The various stories in the series also portrays different facets of morality, and thinking about those, I think, broadens one's view of the world.
These are kind of broad strokes, I know, but this is a deceptively hard question to answer.

Clueing for looks.

April 28, 2017 3:31 pm  #4

BBC Sherlock made me aware of Benedict and made me a huge fan of his (and a more conscious fan of Martin Freeman). The series has also reawoken my interest in fanfiction, which have been dormant ever since my Harry Potter days.

So nothing particularly deep or life-altering, I'm afraid. ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 28, 2017 4:38 pm  #5

My life started when Sherlock did...
Have found it hard coming to terms with the fact it may be over...Sherlock I mean, not my life!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 28, 2017 10:51 pm  #6

I'm also finding it hard to come to terms with the fact that it might be over.  The world of Sherlock, both on TV and reading other fans comments on this forum, despite not finding the time or confidence that I had hoped to take part myself, has helped me through a few very tough years both personally and at work. It is completely engrossing and is a wonderful escape from real life.  I eventually resigned from my job (not such a bad idea in the end), but being a member of this forum makes me feel part of something like a big family or community, which is so nice.

April 29, 2017 7:16 am  #7

For me as a non-Johnlocker, I was sometimes painfully aware I was in a minority.
But in whatever way, I was only glad that people had responded to and been so inspired by Sherlock.
It remains my favourite TV show and I still consider it to be the best TV there is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 29, 2017 2:12 pm  #8

You've got me for company, if that's any comforter, besleybean.  From one non-slasher to another, I can definitely say that we both love the canon.

April 29, 2017 2:54 pm  #9

Indeed.
The other thing I meant to say is that I have also enjoyed meeting a lot of members of the various Sherlock boards I have belonged to.
Although I am slightly disappointed with my best pal.
We do share a love of Andrew, but she's kind of off both Benedict and Sherlock now.

April 29, 2017 3:42 pm  #10

Count me in. I'm not a John-locker but I don't mind at all that I am in a minority. Indeed, before I came to this forum, I wasn't aware that Johnlock is pretty much all over the place and THE thing everybody is talking about. Although I am sure if you coun't everyone who has seen the show (all casual viewers and so on), Johnlockers are the minority. ;)

And yes, there is no better TV! They set the standards pretty high and I'm glad they decided for quality rather than quantity.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

April 29, 2017 3:49 pm  #11

I also have to confess that I still feel a bit bad how 'the end' happened and I kind of remember Susi saying something about this and I do know what she means, but it is as it is...
Nobody wants to make the official statement that the show is over and it is possible it could return years down the line, but the seemingly endless hiatus is not easy...
I personally will console myself by re-watching the episodes and watching the other work of cast and crew...
And attending anything Sherlock related that is on offer and I can manage.
I remain a member of the Sherlock Holmes society of London, at the moment and I hope to be able to attend one of their meetings later in the year.
It's not BBC Sherlock, but I just love Sherlock Holmes and it's great to be with a room full of people who also love him.

May 1, 2017 5:39 am  #12

Sherlock brought me new friends I hold very dear and brought me back to writing fan fics.

Writing fan fics and on the forum surely improved my English.

Johnlock brought and still bringst so much happiness to my life because the greatest love story still touches my heart and gives me a warm feeling when ever I need it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 1, 2017 7:27 am  #13

I hold a similar feeling, Schmiezi...but of course it's for the greatest ever literary friendship.

May 1, 2017 8:44 am  #14

And isn't it great how both of us can be happy with what we see in the show?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 1, 2017 8:57 am  #15

On one level, yes...
But I don't want to get into an argument, by expressing my views any further.
It all seems rather pointless, now.

May 1, 2017 4:45 pm  #16

besleybean wrote:

On one level, yes...
But I don't want to get into an argument, by expressing my views any further.
It all seems rather pointless, now.

Then don't. ;-)

May 1, 2017 4:47 pm  #17

I haven't!

May 1, 2017 4:50 pm  #18

besleybean wrote:

I haven't!

True. :-D

BTW, I am sorry to hear that it all feels pointless for you.:-(

May 1, 2017 5:01 pm  #19

No, I meant the arguing!

Board footera