BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2017 7:58 pm  #2341

Re: Free Rants

thank you! it means a lot to hear. 

I've calmed down a little bit and I'm about to grab a tub of ice cream for The Imitation Game being on the telly in a minute... and tomorrow I'll spend some of the cash I got at the hair salon... I always love coming there... one of the hair dressers always desperately try to get to be the one 'doing' my hair. She always raves about how long and thick and pretty it is. lol. I think I need that 

(And I really do... my roots need covering, and have done for a month now!) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 27, 2017 12:14 pm  #2342

Well, the hair salon was a bit of a bust... the girl I like was busy and I got an older lady to do it... who kept telling me how stupid it was to dye my hair black while she did it. She was actually pretty rude about the whole thing. It wasn't just advice, it was just rude, really. So yeah, it didn't really help my mood and I'm still pretty down. 

But at least my hair looks okay now. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 27, 2017 5:10 pm  #2343

That does sound like an uncomfortable experience.  Hopefully next time your regular person will be available.

Clueing for looks.

February 27, 2017 5:23 pm  #2344

I hope so! On balance, my hair is so long that the rude lady had to ask someone to help with blow drying it, and the girl I prefer came running! That helped a bit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 2, 2017 5:36 pm  #2345

Okay. I officially hate today. 

My boyfriend promised he'd be back after 2 weeks absence today (I even marked my calendar!) I'm so worried, hurt and angry... He could at least have sent a message somehow. He could have borrowed a laptop, tablet or phone from someone... it's really not that hard. I told him many times before how worried I get when I don't hear from him!
(I guess I 'know' it's not something serious at least... his friend has my email in case something bad happens). 

So, there was me... sitting with my laptop and phone waiting, and waiting... looking like an idiot. And my brain does this stupid thing where it right away starts to tell me that it's because I don't matter. 

Mum called me, with a date of that funeral... Saturday. I really wish I didn't have to go... I hate funerals. And add to that, having to worry and try to dodge a family member trying to make passes at you (I sort of hope he'll show some respect this time though... it's his dad!) 

And mum ended the conversation telling me someone else is sick with cancer now. 

I give up. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 8, 2017 8:28 pm  #2346

Did you hear from your boyfriend by now dear?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 8, 2017 10:32 pm  #2347

He came back Tuesday... thank goodness. I've been extremely worried!

It's times like these that long distance really sucks. I'm glad he's back though!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 6, 2017 2:24 pm  #2348

This isn't really a rant, more like a predicament that I haven't had the chance to talk to anyone about.  Today we are going to be choosing next year's club president for one of the clubs I'm a member of at my university.  There are two people running for president I consider both of them friends.
One of them is in her first year but she has experience from being president of a club in high school and I think she's responsible and pretty level-headed.
The other will be in her third year next year and has experience from things she has helped organize since coming to unversity, and I think high school, too.  She's not as level-headed and I'm a little concerned about the fact that she can be quick to be excited or angered by things, even though I know she loves the club and I know she'd be committed.  Both of them are committed, though.  This girl also has been getting anxious about the vote and has had nightmares about nobody voting for her because they secretly don't like her - which I know isn't true.
I don't want her to be hurt, and I'm sure she could be good, but I think the other girl could be good, too.  I've changed my mind about who I'm going to vote for a few times already.

Clueing for looks.

April 6, 2017 2:37 pm  #2349

that sounds like a bit of a tough one! I hope you figure out what's best. 
Though, if it's a closed vote, will either of them know who you voted for? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 6, 2017 3:02 pm  #2350

No, I think our current president will be counting the votes.  It's anonymous.

Clueing for looks.

April 7, 2017 7:29 am  #2351

so, they will never know who you vote for... right? I hope you figure out what's best!

__

I have a rant too... low blood pressure sucks. I spent the last few mornings with my legs up, drinking coffee and almost fainting... all because my dosage of anti anxiety meds were changed... grr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 7, 2017 4:08 pm  #2352

That's not fun. I hope things get back closer to normal soon.

Well, the voting happened. I ended up voting for the girl in first year and she won the election, going with my gut as they say. I think my other friend was a little sad, even though she seemed excited for the girl who got picked.  I kind of felt bad for picking someone with less experience of the club over someone I've known for two years, even though I think she will do just fine. But I think I would have felt badly for whoever I didn't vote for and/or who didn't win anyway.
It's funny, though, pretty much everyone said they would have voted for me if I had run for president of the club! But I already have other commitments for next year, and I think I enjoy being in a club more if I don't have to think about as many responsibilities and just help out when I'm needed.  I need to manage my commitments for my mental health's sake. It was just funny how a couple people said I would be a good president and then a bunch of the others agreed. It was nice of them to say.

Last edited by Yitzock (April 7, 2017 4:09 pm)

Clueing for looks.

April 7, 2017 6:23 pm  #2353

I've read thru the recent posts and see that my mini-rant is really not much of an emotional issue in comparison :o But here goes.

I translate Harry Potter fanfiction as a hobby. I tend to go for long adventure stories the same way I prefer long case fics in BBC Sherlock fandom. So I'm two-thirds thru a 130'000 words story now and my beta reader suddenly complains that the story is boring because it's got too many details in it.

I mean, seriously? The Golden Trio solves a mystery to save the world and goes to all the cool places like  the Esfahan library in Iran (where the have a brush with the Rokh! gotta love Persian mythology), Toledo cathedral in Spain, the Oracle of Delphi in Greece and Terra del Fuego in Argentina, with the main narrative still happening in the UK. Such well-researched details make the story interesting since magic and wizards can't realistically be limited to Hogwarts in the adult world of HP.

That girl is a friend and one of two betas I often work with, so it's not our first adventure fic translation together, but I somehow think it may be our last.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

April 7, 2017 8:06 pm  #2354

That's too bad that someone who has volunteer to help you is saying that.  Hopefully that won't be detrimental to the rest of the translation. It sounds pretty cool if you ask me.

Clueing for looks.

April 7, 2017 8:14 pm  #2355

Yeah, too bad. I'm a great believer in doing only such things that are worth our precious time. It pains me to hear if somebody isn't having fun anymore. I offered her to "resign" mid-story but she's determined to see it thru.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

April 27, 2017 4:20 am  #2356

So much for getting to sleep before midnight like I had planned.
I was reading a sample of something on my Kindle and when I finished it I thought I would search for something else. Well, I found something else I wanted to read a free sample of....But accidentally clicked "Buy" instead of "Try a sample!" It was about $6.00, so it's not a super costly mistake (I made a worse one in the past), but I still panicked because it's my mum's account that is on the Kindle, not mine. And it's with a credit card to which I don't have online access to its balance, based on the last digits, (and according to account settings has expired). I don't even know if she still has it. I know I had a gift card for Kindle when we first got it but I don't know if it still has money on it.
I tried googling how to return and get a refund on a book, but it's not showing up on the list of books bought (in fact a book I bought on Kindle years ago is not even there, though it's possible that it's because it was so long ago). I really hope it's just a processing thing and I can get a refund when I try logging into the account again tomorrow.
The consolation is that my mum never updated her account to her new email address, so any confirmation email will never be seen by her (the topic of the book made me afraid I would out myself to my family, which I am not ready for). If it goes through to her credit card and she asks  about it, I will just pay her back. If I can cancel it tomorrow, I will be happier.
Sorry for bothering you all with this, but I had to let this out to help calm down instead of just sitting in silence with my head spinning.
I guess I officially hate the "convenient" one-click purchase system. They don't even ask "are you sure you want to buy this?"

Last edited by Yitzock (April 27, 2017 4:27 am)

Clueing for looks.

April 27, 2017 5:28 am  #2357

Oops.
But as you say, hope it's not too big an 'ops'!
Hope it all work out ok.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 27, 2017 10:50 am  #2358

Keeping fingers crossed. I am sure it will turn out fine. Being a mum myself (with grown-up kids) I know such things can happen. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 27, 2017 1:08 pm  #2359

Thanks to you all. I was starting to get anxious again when I woke up this morning, but reading your responses helped to remind me that problems that we run into always seem bigger and worse when we're tired at night.
Turns out I was logging into the wrong account last night when I was trying to see if I could cancel the order. I had forgotten that the only Kindle Store that existed when I first got the Kindle was the US one and last night I was logging into my mum's Canadian Amazon account. I logged into the American one and there was the book, paid for by the giftcard, with a few dollars left to spare, so I don't have to worry about credit card matters! Woohoo! 

Clueing for looks.

April 27, 2017 7:56 pm  #2360

I'm happy to hear it was solved in the end! I understand how that could be a scary experience!

I have a rant too... last night I was supposed to get a confirmation message about my benefits payout; that is supposed to go into my account tomorrow. I was very curious about it; since I had some 'vacation' which means I should get less paid out (but I got some vacation money saved up from my job at the hospital). 

I still have not received the confirmation message, and I'm supposed to get the payout tomorrow. I called the benefits office this morning and they said the payout hadn't been confirmed yet... and I didn't get much help. 

So... right now I don't even know if I get my benefits tomorrow, and if I don't have it by Monday my rent won't be paid and I'll struggle with food obviously (luckily this time I have some stuff in my fridge and managed to save up a little) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera