BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 23, 2017 9:21 pm  #21

Re: The Child in Time

A question for those who have read the book: is it a shameless tear-jerker or a kind of, uhm, meaningful... tear-jerker? :D

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

April 24, 2017 5:33 am  #22

I haven't read the book...
But I do hope Benedict wouldn't be involved in anything crass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 24, 2017 7:14 am  #23

@ewige: It is no tear-jerker at all. A very complex story touching a lot of subjects, childhood and family being important. It is also a bit of a dystopian novel although not in such an obvious way as e.g. "Brave New World". 

@bb: Not at all. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 24, 2017 1:34 pm  #24

I haven't read the book, but I'm looking forward to it, I do like sad things though... 

And shamelessly... Ben is looking good, isn't he? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 24, 2017 3:36 pm  #25

He improves with age!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 24, 2017 4:11 pm  #26

Thank you, Susi. I like all kinds of dystopian novels

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

April 24, 2017 4:21 pm  #27

It is quite subtle but all the more believable, I think. 

And, yes, he looks great. I wonder if he is wearing his own clothes. And they seem to be in a hurry or very keen, even shooting throughout the weekend. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 24, 2017 7:12 pm  #28

I remember when I saw the images and gifs I didn't realize it was from a film until I saw them here on the forum, so it's either his own clothes or just that the style of the character is similar to his own.

Subtle dystopia are cool. Never Let Me Go was kind of a subtle dystopia, too.

Clueing for looks.

April 25, 2017 6:35 am  #29

"Never let me go" is a great novel by one of my favourite authors. And the film is also very good. 

April 25, 2017 6:49 am  #30

Who wrote it?

April 25, 2017 9:22 pm  #31

Kazuo Ishiguro wrote Never Let Me Go. The same author as The Remains of the Day, if you've heard of that.

Clueing for looks.

April 26, 2017 5:27 am  #32

That's right.
Yes, not read...but think I at least saw some of the film of Remains of the day.

April 26, 2017 6:20 am  #33

I've read them, but I've yet to see the film of Never Let Me Go - it's on my to-watch list!   I preferred the book of The Remains of the Day, because I felt like the unreliable narrator thing worked better on the page, but the film was really good.  Both Kazuo Ishiguro and Ian McEwan did the creative writing MA at UEA, although not at the same time, I don't think!  (Trying to keep on topic!).  They are two of my favourite writers.

April 26, 2017 7:15 am  #34

Same here, Liberty. I have read everything by Ishiguro and there are currently six McEwans on my shelf. I do not remember the details of The Remains of the Day but the film captured the period feeling and the atmosphere quite well. Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins were fabulous. 
And I think there is a certain similarity in the writers in that they like to introduce an element of the supernatural in an otherwise realistic world. Which is something I like reading very much. 

August 6, 2017 12:50 pm  #35

Little bit about Child in Time in this article, nothing really new but it has what Benedict said about it at LFCC.

I hope they give us an idea when this will air soon, I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/834882/Benedict-Cumberbatch-The-Child-In-Time-BBC-Sherlock

Last edited by Lis (August 6, 2017 12:50 pm)

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

August 6, 2017 2:18 pm  #36

It's new information for me, so it was interesting to hear about his experience working on it.

Clueing for looks.

August 6, 2017 4:11 pm  #37

Glad I posted it then 

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

August 23, 2017 10:44 pm  #38

There will be a preview with Benedict doing a Q&A afterwards:

http://www.bafta.org/whats-on/tv-preview-the-child-in-time-qa

August 24, 2017 3:03 pm  #39

I wonder if any of it will be available online afterwards. I know they did a talk with him before and there are a few clips on YouTube from it.

Clueing for looks.

September 10, 2017 11:19 am  #40

Here is the trailer. Keep your hankies ready. And the film will air between 23 and 29 September. 

https://twitter.com/whenIsayrunruun/status/906766829686808576

Board footera