BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2017 6:30 pm  #241

Re: Some things that are puzzling me

Possibly hoping for more?
I hope for more to, but I am unconvinced more will materialise.
Though happily for me, everything was left neatly tied up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 17, 2017 6:34 pm  #242

Not for me. And I think I am not the only one. 

For me a show is over when the creators or the broadcaster tell me it is over. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 17, 2017 6:36 pm  #243

Oh I know...but waiting for 5 years(which I think it would be), feels like over to me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 17, 2017 6:40 pm  #244

Why five years? Not even Benedict is THAT much in demand. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 17, 2017 6:44 pm  #245

His diary is booked up for the next 3...there are currently no plans for S 5, or even any stand alone episodes.

April 17, 2017 6:48 pm  #246

Then you know more than I do. Child in Time and Melrose this year. How to stop time and maybe Strange sequel in 2018. These are the only confirmed or probable projects as far as I know.

I just realised we are getting very off topic here. 😉

April 17, 2017 6:52 pm  #247

Apologies: I am basing my comments on:
1. On Facebook a fan girl posted a list of(ok some only speculated) projects and it took Benedict to 3 years of work.
2. On what Mark and Steven said at the talks I attended. Steven said it had been virtually impossible to get everyone together for S 4. They had been supposed to film it when they did TAB. But then Benedict announced he would be doing Dr Strange, so there was no time to film a full series, hence them doing TAB instead.

April 17, 2017 6:59 pm  #248

Thank you. But then they should put an end to speculation. I prefer to know when something is definitely over. Maybe this is just me.

As I said, the confirmed projects do not add up to three years. And I think it is also a matter of wanting or not wanting to continue. Getting together the actors for a special should not be impossible, especially since many are only needed for a limited time. I think it is a matter of the team and the BBC wanting more Sherlock or not.

April 17, 2017 7:02 pm  #249

All Steven kept saying is that he would never say never: there is no sense that people don't want to do it anymore, they are all simply too busy...he and Mark are working on a new project, which I am dying to hear about.

April 17, 2017 8:52 pm  #250

I think Steven - and the others - have always been very open and honest about the future of the series. All of them say the same thing - they love it, they would like to do more, but scheduling is incredibly difficult. It's not only Ben, there is also Martin who is just as busy. And, of course, Moftiss themselves, the crew and the other actors. 

I remember Monthy Pyton said the same for years. Everybody kept nagging them to do a reunion, and they said that scheduling made it impossible. 

So by saying that it might happen, but if so it's a long time in the future, they are being as open and honest as they can, I think.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 17, 2017 8:54 pm  #251

My thoughts entirely.

April 17, 2017 9:34 pm  #252

Surely a matter of personal preferences. I just like to know where I stand with a show. Looking at the current Broadchurch reactions on Twitter - tears and gratitude and praise, definite words from the creators. It is just what I would have preferred for Sherlock - either this or at least a promise to do more (without the need for a timeline or date). 

April 18, 2017 5:38 am  #253

But they cannot give any such promises at the moment, that's the whole point!
I entirely agree with you that it is annoying we have no definite answer....but unfortunately it is what it is.

April 18, 2017 6:29 am  #254

I'm glad that they're being honest, though.   And also that they have finished the story, rather than leaving us with a cliffhanger.  If they don't get the opportunity to make more, then at least we have an ending. 

April 18, 2017 6:30 am  #255

And a happy one!

April 18, 2017 7:53 am  #256

I agree, Liberty. I am quite fine with the ending if we don't get any more, and I am glad they chose to "end" it instead of leaving us with a clilfhanger that may or may not be resolved in an unknown amount of years in the future. THAT would have annoyed me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 1, 2017 5:57 am  #257

As this is off topic already, let me comment on the end or not end of the show.

I think the current situation is so unsatisfying that I took a little absence from the forum. I could handle a clear " It's over" as well as a clear "It will go on one day but it will be a long wait".

We got neither one and that is bothering me. You can call it honest but it feels more like unprofessionell to me. What stop them from making plans for, say, 2020 right now?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 1, 2017 6:49 am  #258

I think they've acknowledged that it's difficult, and given that S4 brings us to an ending, they must have known it was going to be like that for some time.   Maybe not years and years ago, because the ending could have been added at the last minute, but obviously before final scripts, filming, etc.    We don't know why they're not making plans now (if they aren't) ... perhaps one of the people involved is providing a barrier for some reason, that we don't know about.  But I don't think it's unprofessional, and I'm glad that they're letting us know rather than claiming one thing or another. 

I seem to remember that we didn't know what was happening after S3, and in fact it looks as if they'd planned to film S4 next, but because of scheduling they only had time for a special, hence TAB.  

May 1, 2017 7:32 am  #259

Yes from what Steven was saying when I heard him speak, I kind of got the impression there was a bit of a change at some point...for whatever reason. They realised they could just not go on like this, not knowing if people(by whom we mean Benedict and Martin) were going to be available. Benedict was certainly named as the blame for them not being able to film S 4 and having to do TAB instead, at that time.

Last edited by besleybean (May 1, 2017 7:40 am)

May 1, 2017 9:40 am  #260

I am with Schmiezi. As professionals they should be able and willing to give us a clear answer. And there is another thing I really dislike in this matter: the idea that they are only available for Sherlock as long as there are no other projects. Sherlock is an immensely popular show and should be more than something you do if nothing else pops up. If they really wanted to do more, I would expectmore passion and enthusiasm. And if some or all of them want to stop, they should be honest with the fans. The way it is now, it might be interpreted as trying to keep the fans until the cons are over which in my opinion would be unfair to put it mildly.

Board footera