BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2014 7:06 pm  #221

Re: Some things that are puzzling me

Yes, I found it striking that all John's friends are really Sherlock's friends.  I would never have predicted (before watching the show) that John would turn out to the more private and anti-social of the two of them. 

It does look like they don't talk much about their lives outside each other.  Sherlock interviewed the wedding guests, even Mary's wedding guests, but didn't ask John anything.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing - maybe slightly surprising.  It's fun in relationships (friends or more) to hear stories about the person's past, I think.  But they're only interested in the here and now ... or, I sometimes get the impression that John might be interested in Sherlock's background, but just doesn't ask, and Sherlock doesn't tell.   They seem to have some sort of an understanding. 

I do think it's in character for Sherlock to only talk about John in relation to himself, but thinking about it, it makes sense considering the guests too.   John is famous as Sherlock's blogger, friend and "assistant", not as a GP or a soldier.  To the general public, they are John and Sherlock, Holmes and Watson ... Sherlock's friends know John through him and I don't imagine John sees them without Sherlock being there ... the only people there who really know a John outside of Sherlock are Mary and Sholto. 

April 16, 2017 7:59 pm  #222

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 16, 2017 8:04 pm  #223

Well, I guess mistakes do happen, the crew are not infallible.
Doesn't seem to have any significance to the story to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2017 8:13 pm  #224

It is not the only example, by the way. In HLV at Appledore it is daylight and minutes later on the patio - darkness. Btw, I am trying to keep the discussion going because for me it is still fun. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 16, 2017 8:18 pm  #225

Oh obviously it's up to you. I appreciate for some people these things are important.
I continue to be amazed that folk notice such like.
I never do, but I can't say so far anything has really struck me as having any real relevance.
I actually feel I think more this way, now that we've come to a kind of conclusion.
But don't get me wrong, there are still lots of things I want to go back over and I hope to begin this process in the Summer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2017 8:24 pm  #226

Looking forward to it. 

April 16, 2017 8:27 pm  #227

Me, too.
I primarily want to write a series of posts on all of the first 12 episodes, to show pointers to episode 13.
But I've also just thought I'd like to do particular character studies, too, well, more my view of them...

April 16, 2017 8:35 pm  #228

Sounds very interesting.  

April 16, 2017 8:36 pm  #229

Well this is me we're talking about, so there will be no research other than what we're shown on screen and how I feel about it!

Last edited by besleybean (April 16, 2017 8:36 pm)

April 17, 2017 9:38 am  #230

Yeah, I'm in the boring camp of filing in the category of continuity error as well. Because if there were more to it, if this were meant to be clues about something, then I think we would have been told by now. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 17, 2017 9:39 am  #231

That's kind of how I feel and I keep harking back to what Mark said before S 4 aired:  we've thrown out  a lot of clues, some will prove to be red herrings, others will be explained.

April 17, 2017 12:06 pm  #232

Thanks for keeping the discussion going, Susi.  I'm really pleased that S4/TFP answered so many of my questions, but also a bit disappointed that we now have the answers and there's no need to discuss!  I suspect this is a continuity error too, but who knows?  It's possible that these details do mean something that we've missed, and also possible that they were put in for fun (I keep thinking of Arwel adding his son's initials - it's nothing to do with the plot, but still a deliberate detail, with meaning, which was added). 

April 17, 2017 12:10 pm  #233

I actually think it's quite sad Arwel did that this time, like he knew it may be the only opportunity he had! 

April 17, 2017 2:35 pm  #234

I think I missed something. What's this about the initials?

Clueing for looks.

April 17, 2017 2:37 pm  #235

I didn't see it, either.  Something to do with somehow Arwel inserting his son's initials into a piece of scenery was it?

April 17, 2017 2:43 pm  #236

I seem to remember it being the door where Mary goes to meet Sherlock before running away.  That's just my (ever-faulty) memory, but I think there was something else as well.

April 17, 2017 2:45 pm  #237

Ah right, there definitely was something on the door!

April 17, 2017 2:59 pm  #238

Here's an old interview: https://mid0nz.wordpress.com/2016/01/23/arwel-wyn-jones/

MJW: Ah, the drug den. That, you’ve got your initials on the wall in the drug den, right?
AWJ: My son’s.
MJW: Oh, really? Oh, ok. I thought they were yours.
AWJ: It’s my son’s that I put everywhere since he was born. It’s in Doctor Who in various places. You can see them somewhere in every show I’ve done.

April 17, 2017 3:03 pm  #239

Sweet.

April 17, 2017 5:05 pm  #240

Liberty wrote:

I seem to remember it being the door where Mary goes to meet Sherlock before running away.  That's just my (ever-faulty) memory, but I think there was something else as well.

Yes, it was the door to the old church in TST. And as for your other post - funny how different people perceive the show. For every question that has been answered IMO three new popped up. Or things that to not connect to previous episodes. Which is why I do not feel ready to stop asking questions at all. 

Board footera