BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2012 8:51 pm  #1

Rhododendron ponticum

Although only briefly mentioned in this episode, and by way of a nod at the Guy Ritchie movies, I have found more information about the toxic effects of this plant. Clearly it is unlikely to cause any hallucinations so not likely to have been used, as some have suggested, in Sherlock's survival plan. I don't think he would want to self-administer it either.

www.aschoonerofscience.com/poisons/rhododendron-poison-truth-behind-the-science-of-sherlock-holmes/

www.rhodyman.net/rhodytox.html

Last edited by Davina (September 3, 2012 8:55 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 4, 2012 7:57 am  #2

Re: Rhododendron ponticum

The suggestion I believe was that it induces tears, runny nose as Sherlock had on the roof.

However due to the other nasty side effects such as loss of muscle control etc, I doubt it would be a safe thing to use before jumping of a building.

The mention of this was merely a nod at the canon. Moftiss enjoy adding nods just for the simple pleasure of being able to honour ACD's canon in this way.
One wonders how many more 'possible clues' are simply wonderful nods also?
*ponders*

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 4, 2012 11:11 am  #3

God! If he wanted to cry and have a runny nose he could have just had an onion on him! Why would you take poison to do that? Agreed, a nod indeed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 4, 2012 11:58 am  #4

Davina wrote:

God! If he wanted to cry and have a runny nose he could have just had an onion on him! Why would you take poison to do that? Agreed, a nod indeed.

He can turn it on by himself anyway ... eg The Great Game.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 4, 2012 6:46 pm  #5

By the way i don't understand why Sherlock show a picture of a Rhododendron ponticum to John. I mean they search a warehouse or an ancient factory something like that not a plant. Maybe i missed something (probably).

September 12, 2012 9:02 am  #6

I am assuming you're referring to the part in Reichenbach where they're trying to work out where the kids are?

Sherlock sends out alerts to all his Homeless Network, and they are sending him back pictures of various locations and clues. He asked them to look for vegetation and one of them sent back a picture of a plant, as well as all the pictures of factories.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera