BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2017 10:51 pm  #1

221b Con 2017

*waving*  Yes, my sweet little 221b Con was this past weekend.  Going to post some pictures and chat at you some.
Hope you don't mind.  

This year our primary guest was actor Curtis Armstrong.

Here's his IMDB if you're not familiar with him.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0035664/?ref_=nv_sr_5

Now, just looking at his acting roles you may wonder why he was invited to our convention.
One answer is in his bio.  
"Is an investitured member of the Baker Street Irregulars, the literary society dedicated to Sherlock Holmes. In 2006, he was given the investiture "An Actor, and a Rare One", which had previously been the investiture of Richard B. Shull."

That's right, he's a geek and his first fandom was Sherlock!  

During one of his talks he spoke about growing up an awkward kid, being picked on and teased. He told us about discovering a club of fellow Sherlock fans and how that immediately became his community, a safe space.  Of course this was something many of us could relate to.

He was a real delight as a guest.  He roamed around the convention and interacted with people.  Always willing to stop and have a conversation or take a picture.

I've been a fan of his acting but did not know about his Sherlock interests until he came to our con.  He was very interesting to talk to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 11, 2017 6:04 am  #2

Re: 221b Con 2017

I didn't recognise his name, but looking at imdb he has been in so many things - that's maybe why he looks familiar!   Sounds like an interesting guest.  It seems like it's a lovely atmosphere there, with the guests mingling with the attendees. 

April 11, 2017 7:19 am  #3

Great to hear you had such a good time. Can you tell us anything about the reactions to S4? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 11, 2017 12:47 pm  #4

Just like on the internet, reactions to S4 were very mixed.  There were people who hated it, people who loved it and people like me who were somewhere in the middle. 

There are still people who think we'll eventually get another episode that will clear everything up.  I didn't talk to a lot of them, but they are still out there.

There were plenty of people who felt they could be ok if the series had to end here.

Of the three episodes I found that The Lying Detective was by far the favorite.

There were people who enjoyed The Final Problem, but even a lot of those feel that the overall style and tone wasn't "our" Sherlock.

Now, keep in mind that I was not privy to every conversation at the con and who knows what was said in private.  However, what made me the happiest was that everyone was still polite and respecting of everyone else's opinions.  There wasn't a lot of hate thrown about.  I didn't see any rudeness, which was something that honestly concerned me after the rage I saw on tumblr.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 11, 2017 1:38 pm  #5

Thank you for reporting back to us

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

April 11, 2017 1:51 pm  #6

ewige wrote:

Thank you for reporting back to us

Thank you for wanting to listen. 

I'll have some more pictures and comments later.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 11, 2017 2:00 pm  #7

Thanks, tonnaree, sounds like you had a great time. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 11, 2017 2:50 pm  #8

Once again I attended a taping of the Three Patch Podcast.  The topic was "How do you relate to the characters of Sherlock and who do you relate to."

Had several people who are eldest children talk about relating to Mycroft and dealing with wilder younger siblings.   There were also a couple who talked about relating to Molly because of having been in a place where they were hopelessly attracted to someone who did not reciprocate.  People who mentioned John mostly said they related to him because people constantly underestimate him.  That he seems rather plain on the outside but is actually very complicated.

Me, I said that I related strongly to one particular aspect of Sherlock and John's relationship.  I love the fact that John lets Sherlock be Sherlock.  He accepts him whole heartedly and doesn't try to change him.  As someone who spent years trying to change myself in order to "fit in" this always touched me deeply.  In both friendships and romantic relationships I would constantly try to be whatever other people wanted me to be.  Luckily I finally found my John and my husband take me just the way I am, faults and all.  At this point in my life I feel like I am more ME, than I have ever been before.

Of course I also grabbed the microphone at one point and said "I'd like to be the first to say that I really relate to Rosie Watson because I wouldn't mind calling John "daddy."   *evil grin*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 11, 2017 3:28 pm  #9

So you are meaning to say that not ALL attendees related to Sherlock per default?

ewige (who's been happily relating to Sherlock since day one)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

April 11, 2017 4:00 pm  #10

This is very interesting, tonnaree. Personally I never related to any of the characters because I felt similar to them but this never kept me from loving or hating or pitying them or being angry at them, i.e. of being emotional about them. It is just that I do not find myself in any of them. I think it is not necessary for loving the show but if people can relate to characters that way, it shows that Mofftiss have not gone so terribly wrong in writing them. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 11, 2017 5:36 pm  #11

Funny, when I look back, there was actually no other show or story I could relate that much to any character as I did in Sherlock.
Generally it does not effect my affection, I can like characters that are nothing like me.

April 11, 2017 5:45 pm  #12

I don't think I can relate to anyone in Sherlock, actually. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 11, 2017 6:48 pm  #13

That sounds really interesting, Tonnaree.  I must listen to the podcast. 

I think I can relate to aspects of most of the characters but I don't feel any of them are "me", if you know what I mean.  I hadn't thought of the older sibling aspect with Mycroft (I'm the elder of two), but I suppose I can really identify with the feeling of protectiveness of a younger one.  I suppose I could relate to Mary as a flawed character in love with somebody who is perfect - not that John is perfect, but that she sees him that way.   I suppose that's the way love works. 

April 11, 2017 7:18 pm  #14

ewige wrote:

So you are meaning to say that not ALL attendees related to Sherlock per default?

ewige (who's been happily relating to Sherlock since day one)

Forgot to mention there were some who identified with Sherlock. 

One of the main reasons people gave was his overactive mind.  Not being able to shut their brain up even when they wanted to.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 12, 2017 2:57 pm  #15

That does sound like it would have been an interesting topic of discussion.  I think I can relate to most of the characters in some way, but like some of you have said, whether I recognize some part of myself in them or not, the show still makes it so that I understand what they are feeling and I still care about them.
This might sound awful, but I definitely relate to Sherlock, one of the reasons being that I can somtimes feel like I am smarter than a lot of the people around me and when I try to express something they just don't get it. I'm not rude about it like him, and I guess Mycroft has the feeling, too, at times, of feeling surrounded by idiots. I want to be clear that I'm not counting this forum in that statemet - I wouldn't call any of you idiots. But in my offline life not everyone around me seems that sharp or clever (which might be kind of surprising considering I'm at university, but it's true - some people can be rather slow to get something that I don't find too difficult to understand). I also want to make it clear that this doesn't mean I don't like the people around me.
This along with the fact that I don't discount emotions. I know it takes Sherlock some time to fully accept this fact, but I would agree that emotions don't always make someone less reasonable or less rational. They aren't unimportant factors in every facet of life.

Last edited by Yitzock (April 12, 2017 3:05 pm)

Clueing for looks.

April 18, 2017 7:56 pm  #16

Sounds like it was a good convention! Looking forward to seeing more pictures and hearing more about it.

The talk topics sound very interesting. I think I've always related to some aspects of Sherlock's character.

It's funny about the siblings thing, I'm six years older than my sister and whilst I often find myself relating to Sherlock my sister is definitely more of a Mycroft (she's the smarter one haha).

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

Board footera