BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2012 12:43 am  #1

An Academic Discussion

Hey, everyone.  I'm doing some research on the Sherlockian fandom community.  I certainly consider myself a member of said community, but I can't use myself as a reference point.  And since I can't meet fellow Sherlockians in person, I'm settling for the next best thing.  I have to identify what unifies the community, what values and goals we share, what interests we have, etc.  Now, I've done pretty well on most of this, but I finally hit a roadblock with the most important question:  What values do we share?  Honestly, I have no idea, because I've never met another Sherlockian before (but I know there is one at my school, because I've been finding "I believe in Sherlock Holmes" notes in strange places).
So what do you guys think?  What values and goals do we share?  If you want to comment on something else, please go ahead, but the values and goals is really what I'd like input on.
Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I dug this bullet out of that wall three hours before you said that somebody fired it at you three minutes ago.  You're under arrest, sir."
~Lt. Columbo, Candidate for Crime

September 3, 2012 12:45 am  #2

Re: An Academic Discussion

That's interesting. Values in what sense? What we hold dear? Morality?

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 3, 2012 12:53 am  #3

Sadly, that part's a little vague.  "What are the shared values or goals or interests this community embraces?" is the direct quote from the prompt.  It doesn't give much to go on, but I'd say you're in the ballpark.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I dug this bullet out of that wall three hours before you said that somebody fired it at you three minutes ago.  You're under arrest, sir."

September 3, 2012 1:05 am  #4

That's alright, I think I get what it means. Well, you know our shared interests, and I'm sure you can deduce what (or who) my particular interest is. I'd have to think a little bit about the rest. I don't know if I have any values or goals which pertain to this particular group, but I may be able to come up with something.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 3, 2012 1:26 am  #5

I'd have to think about this a little, too. What's your deadline?

Do you mind telling us what school you are doing this for? Will we see the results?

September 3, 2012 1:37 am  #6

Rough draft's due Tuesday morning, actually.  I'd rather not give the name, but I'll certainly post the finished product if you want.  I believe I've got to design a newsletter later in the semester, too.

September 3, 2012 3:38 am  #7

Lieutenant C. wrote:

.......What values and goals do we share?  ...

Hmm tough ask, lol.
For myself personally I value greatly the literature from ACD that opened my young mind years ago to the world of detection & simplicity of deductions. The lessons that can be learnt from the canon that not everything has to be intricate to fool people, really is something that stands the test of time. It is so true even today & we see this line of thinking copied so often in detective stories etc. Naturally enough this way of thinking can spill into anyone's everyday life; NOT to solve perplexing riddles, but just daily things that happen in life.
I think these stories are a great example of WHY we should preserve our histories in all things and WHY we SHOULD continue teaching our children to study these and other great literature eg Shakespeare. The values in these types of stories are ageless.

For the fandom as a whole alas the same is NOT true on face value as some have not even read the original works. So if you asked them, they don't value 'the classics' and have a goal to keep them accessible to future generations etc. However deep down, they obviously MUST have some appreciation for the canon, as that is where these stories originate from.

I guess it's like milk. Millions drink it, many have never seen a cow.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 3, 2012 4:24 am  #8

"What are the shared values or goals or interests this community embraces?"

For me, Sherlock embodies the search for truth. It reflects my passion for reason, science and the beauty of the natural world.

I'd say that one common interest of those on the forum is an interest in Sherlock as a character study. He's a fascinating character with unusual morals and interesting priorities which we presumably all like to discuss and think about.

Why I'm here? I want to talk and think about the show and I have noone in 'the real world' to discuss it with.

September 3, 2012 5:47 am  #9

I think most of us enjoy reading of one sort or another. We have all joined with Sherlock as a common unifying interest. Most of us seem interested in film and television. Again most seem to be keen on analysis of aspects of the series. Again most are welcoming to new folk and are pleased to have the opportunity to virtually 'meet' others from all over the world. Most enjoy debating a point and testing ideas out. I'm not sure about this one but...I get the feeling/impression that most of us see ourselves as a little bit 'different' and Sherlock appeals to that side of us.

I think that one of our goals is to share our love of this show with others and in a way to pin our flag to the banner (does that make sense). Another goal frankly for many of us is to find something interesting and challenging to do whilst we are waiting for the next series. In a way this forum is another form of Sherlockian entertainment for us, one in which we can actively make a contribution.

Generally people here are supportive to others and seem to be generally very empathetic. They are inquisitive people, who want to know more, understand more. Another binding feature seems to be a sense of humour, although that can sometimes get 'lost in translation'. Most of us are attracted/intrigued by the characters we see in the Sherlock series and by default attracted/intrigued by the actors that play them and the creators of the series. A, perhaps unintentional/subconscious goal, is to be part of a community of (fairly) like-minded souls.

Eek...I've written loads. Perhaps I should have included that we have a tendency towards the verbose! Lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 11, 2012 6:54 pm  #10

I know it sounds kind of cheesy, but I would say Sherlock Holmes has changed my life for the better, starting in January this year when I watched Series 2 (I refused to watch Series 1 when it was aired)...and my love of all things Sherlock was rekindled and brought back to life again after many years.

Since then I've made some really positive decisions in my life, met some incredible people, made friends within the fandom, been to some amazing events, learnt a hell of a lot. It's inspired me to start studying more, start practicing my violin more, all in an attempt to train myself to be "more like Sherlock". I've got a whole new wardrobe because of it! I've also started watching a load of different non-Sherlock TV programmes because I've had them recommended to me by other people from the Sherlock fandom.

So, anyway, in terms of "values" Sherlock and the fandom have taught me, I would say something like this:

- Be honest and true to yourself
- Value your friends
- Stand up for your opinions
- Believe in yourself
- Be on the side of the angels (but not neccessarily one of them).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 12, 2012 3:54 am  #11

I observed the 'study more' and 'practise music' in a few cases too - what a brilliant result from the mere adaptation of an age-old classic!

Board footera